Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hand Catching an Inspire. Making a Removable Grab Handle.

Reaction score
With a pending trip to Alaska and the Far East Coast of Russia, I have been following this forum, seeking tips about a number of aspects of flying the Inspire. One area of interest has been the need to occasional hand catch the Inspire. This may be needed when returning to the ship (6,000 tons worth - so hopefully reasonable steady, although it may be moving at the time) and possible from a Zodiac. While the two handles attached to the legs provided one solution, I was keen to try for a one-handed solution.

Anyway, what I felt I needed was a better “handle” than simple the legs or battery surround at the rear of the body. I did not want my handle to be permanently attached.

Hence I invented the item pictured below. What is needed is a GoPole Grenade Handle, and the following GoPro accessories (2 flat adhesive mounts, numerous pivot arms, a quick release buckle and vertical quick release buckle) and sundry hardware items (several small bolts of the same size as the GoPro thumb screw, 2 part epoxy filler, liquid super glue, sandpaper and a hacksaw).

The images below show the finished product, both attached and detached. If there is sufficient interest in obtaining more detail I am happy to do a short video on how to put it all together. I will also post a short video on catching the Inspire.
i1-handle_5.jpg i1-handle_6.jpg i1-handle_7.jpg i1-handle_8.jpg i1-handle_9.jpg

The only problem I see is the handle preventing you using the 360deg panning of the camera. My practised procedure just requires the catcher to grab the battery. If you are planning hand capture make sure that you have both VPS and Self Adaptive Landing Gear set to OFF. The first stops the aircraft moving away from the catcher and the second stops the landing gear and propellers lowering during the catch. Also consider getting some industrial cut proof gloves and a hard hat.

One question. What the hell has this to do with the GO App?

Scotflieger
Thanks for the comments about VPS and Self Adaptive Landing Gear. I was prepared to sacrifice the 360 degree pan for the ease of catching. Not sure what the comment about the Go App is about. I thought I had started the thread in the Help Section, but I guess I messed up. The Editor appears to have saved the situation.

Reactions: Scotflieger
I was hand catching by the battery on a sailboat 2 weeks ago. Sketchiest catch ever.
Yeah I've done that a few times from a tuna boat in open ocean. The boat rocks but the inspire sure doesn't. Definitely a sketchy catch but it gets more predictable and easier over time.

Yeah I've done that a few times from a tuna boat in open ocean. The boat rocks but the inspire sure doesn't. Definitely a sketchy catch but it gets more predictable and easier over time.
I think the sailboat made it sketchy because sailboats are a little less predictable with their heading than something with a motor that can just be stopped.

I still like hand catching the battery compartment better. I'd rather not risk losing footage because those little pegs come into frame.
im with ya, but they raise up with the landing gear, and dont block the camera any more than the feet would.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan