Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

HDMI Out Video Quality

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by Rob Suggs, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Rob Suggs

I have had issues with the quality of the video output from the controller's HDMI port. For me, the video is significantly worse than what I see on the attached iPad. The video is much higher contrast and very low color saturation.

I performed a demo for my company, and had intended to show live video to highlight the Inspire's streaming video quality. However, video from the HDMI port was so bad that I opted to have individuals look at my iPad instead. I would like to show off the Inspire in all its glory.

I have tried both controllers and several monitors, Cinemizer, TVs, etc.

Are there settings I have missed? Are others seeing the same thing.

2. PetePerrim

Turn up the colour saturation on the monitor you're using, that would be the logical first step I'd take.

3. Daniel Mascheck

What about a sample clip we can see?

4. Rob Suggs

A better description of what I see is that the green channel is virtually gone. Grass becomes a very dark blue. Because my video is outside and green is the predominant color, the image looks high-contrast and under-saturated. I shot a beach umbrella with a rainbow of color panels, and all green panels display as blue. I wish I could upload a sample, but I don't have the equipment needed to record from an HDMI source.

5. The Editor

The Editor Moderator
    Staff Member

I know this may seem very basic and I'm sure you have tried but...... different HDMI cable? And if you are using HDMI to mini HDMI adapters they can be a bit flakey.

6. Rob Suggs

Yep, I have tried two different HDMI cables (one with an adapter, one dedicated HDMI mini), two different controllers (one in slave mode), and three different monitors. I get exactly the same result with all configurations. The only thing I do not have two of is the quad, but video from the quad to my iPad looks fine and the HDMI output is derived from the same source.

I am curious if others have tested the quality of their HDMI output and are seeing correct colors.

7. Rob Suggs

By the way, if anyone wants to test this, you don't need to do it in the field. Just attach your controller to a monitor or TV via the HDMI port, power up your quad, and the use the playback function to watch a video you recorded earlier. The video will stream from your quad, just as if you were streaming live. Is there a perceptible difference between what you see on your tablet an what you see on the monitor?

#7 Rob Suggs, Apr 4, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  8. PetePerrim

That's odd. Mine is definatley not quite as vibrant as the iPad screen but it's certainly still acceptable. I have had trouble with HDMI cables and adaptors but I see you've already tried that remedy. just a real long shot but have you tried changing your monitor mode between PAL/NTSC? There has to be a logical reason why your colours are not displaying as they should.

9. Rob Suggs

Pete, in you case, is it greens that are gone? My blues and reds look great. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I live in a very green place. BTW, I don't have control over the PAL/NTSC setting on my preferred device, a Cinemizer.

10. PetePerrim

All the colours look less vibrant but not any single one more than the other. I use Dominator HD goggles which I can adjust the brightness which seems to work ok.