Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Heavier polariser filter

Reaction score
I purchased a polariser filter from a third party manufacturer which fits the camera perfectly. it is however quite a bit heavier(8g) and causes the gimbal to flop straight down when the inspire is off. It seems to pick it up just fine when on and maintains a stable image but I am wondering if the gimbal motors can be damaged in the long run by using the heavier filter. Does anyone have any info in this regard?

I purchased a polariser filter from a third party manufacturer which fits the camera perfectly. it is however quite a bit heavier(8g) and causes the gimbal to flop straight down when the inspire is off. It seems to pick it up just fine when on and maintains a stable image but I am wondering if the gimbal motors can be damaged in the long run by using the heavier filter. Does anyone have any info in this regard?

Short answer: probably.

Reactions: Kilrah
You could try balancing the gimbal by applying weight to the back of the camera. This would at least alleviate the stress of the the lens (if indeed there is any). My thoughts would be that the gimbal is strong enough to take the extra weight anyway.

No the motors will not be damaged in any way. Brushless motors are much stronger than they seem when a gimbal freaks out, but that is due to the PID settings, not the strength of the motors. Snake River Prototyping is coming out with some ND8/CP and ND16/CP filters on Monday, and they are 9 grams. They have been tested. They even tested 12 gram filters for months with no issues, but the final filters are 9 g. You should check them out because they are high quality, as apposed to the stock DJI filters, or the Polar Pro - el-cheapos or those Chinese ones that are all just one layer of colored glass, rather than 2 layers of hight quality glass with photo quality ND film sandwiched between.

Reactions: Gary Bateman

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido