Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

HeliEngadin Inspire 2 Carbon Fiber folding propellers

That's close to Standard Day. I would not think they would be an issue. I would if it were hotter out and the humidity was high too. However, something is causing the AC to "think" there is additional drag on the motor(s).

Do you have a test bench? If so, strap it down, take three props off and run her up to 50% power with the one prop. If you do or don't get the error move to the next motor. If this next motor does not throw the error, move on to next and test again. What we're doing is checking if there could be a bad/weak motor. If you get only one motor throwing the warning, then you have your answer. If it happens to more than one, I honestly can't say much more. If you get no errors on any of them, I would next try by installing the factory props on three and a CF on one, then do the whole process again. Keep trying different combinations - maybe with two OEM's and two CF's and run the rotation etc. = Four test runs w/this set up.

To really get a true bench reading/test, get a laser thermal meter at HomeCrapo (<$30) and start the process with only the OEM prop. Read the temp of each motor at the top of the casing center of the shaft and the casings edge after they have been running for ~30sec.

Write your findings down while keeping track of which motor is which. e.g. M1=65C, etc. ( M1 would be the left motor as if you were riding in it and M3 would be the back left ).

Collect this Data for all tests and post it. It will tell a lot about the efficiency of DJI motors and if you have one that is weak.

Does anyone here just enjoy their I2 and fly it without all of the involved testing and retesting? Seems like many spend more time looking for problems than just flying and enjoying it.

DJI pushes the limits of their motors as it is:

By installing props that creates more drag onto the motors (increases Amperage draw = ^heat), the AC senses the current draw so it warns you. Otherwise you will risk overheating the motors.

where is the extra drag coming from - just out of interest?

Does anyone here just enjoy their I2 and fly it without all of the involved testing and retesting? Seems like many spend more time looking for problems than just flying and enjoying it.

Its the same with all us pilots. We fly for an hour and then sit around with the crew worrying about what might fall off when we take off for the next flight, or looking at PPrune to see who has crashed theirs!

Installed mine yesterday and did a bit of hovering, they were fine.
Nice to see that the new hubs are marked for the direction with a nice engraved CW.

TC

Stock Update on Folding Props:

We are finally receiving our delivery of these today (after several delays between the manufacturer and UPS) and will be fulfilling every outstanding order we have for them. Additionally, we are receiving enough stock of them to have them on hand and ready to ship for new orders. We will continue to keep them on order from the manufacturer to attempt to keep from running out again!

Thanks again to everyone who has ordered these from us - we appreciate it.

To anyone who might be interested. My foldable props initially seemed to be very loose (folding aspect). During shutdown some of the props would "fling" to their stopping points and this could be heard. I ended up tightening all props maybe to a 1/16 of a full turn and now they stay straight when I shut down. The following start up vibrations are now gone after the props have been set to their flight positions and the aircraft is even more responsive and stable in the air.

Tried to take off the QD mounts today. Heated the first screw, used the correct bit, stripped. I don't know what kind of crap pot metal DJI uses, and why they would then red loctite that crap metal, but I'm pretty pissed. Haven't bothered trying the others.

Tried to take off the QD mounts today. Heated the first screw, used the correct bit, stripped. I don't know what kind of crap pot metal DJI uses, and why they would then red loctite that crap metal, but I'm pretty pissed. Haven't bothered trying the others.

Are you using a 9mm Torx? Make sure you use a short shaft and not a long one or you can do what I did and snap off a piece of the Torx driver in the screw head. Had to replace the entire motor. Good luck.

I may have a solution for you. I purchased this but did not use it as my screws did not get stripped. You can get if from Amazon. Hope this helps. Barry

Alden 4507P Micro Grabit Broken Bolt Extractor 4 Piece Kit

Mine used a 9mm.

I think the reason people (including me) were stripping screw heads with standard T8 torx drivers is because there just isn't a lot of contact surface.

The tapered "torx align" bit fills the gaps left by a standard torx bit and are less likely to strip.

I know there's some debate on wether the screws are T8 or T9. Since dji has only used T6 & T8 torx in the past, I just assume they are T8 and focus on using a good bit to remove these mo fo screws.

I tried to take a detailed picture showing the difference. Both bits are T8, top is a regular hardware store bit and the bottom is a torx align bit.

IMG_0085.JPG

I've been considering these props but I have been seeing many reports of stripping issues when installing them. Is this attributed to carelessness, wrong tools, or are the mounts just a challenge?

Reactions: SanCap
If you install the hubs for the folding props and later decided to go back to stock hubs can it be done or could screwing in and out of the motor potentially ruin the motor?

I used a TX8. Held the TX8 tightly in the bolt head and turned very slowly. No heating. None of the eight bolts/screws were stripped. I think it would be fairly easy to go back to the standard DJI propellers if I wanted to. For now, I like having the folding propellers bolted to the motor and after about 6 flights the Inspire 2 seems to fly very well with the new propellers.

If you install the hubs for the folding props and later decided to go back to stock hubs can it be done or could screwing in and out of the motor potentially ruin the motor?

I think with care and attention to detail it should do any damage. Unless you are CONSTANTLY installing and removing the prop assemblies things should be fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan