Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hello from a forest ecologist in New England.

Reaction score
Hi Friends,
New Inspire 1 V2 owner here. I live in NW CT and work as an ecologist and cartographer for several land conservation organizations in New England. The lands that I work on range from a few acres to over 10,000 acres. I've been in the multirotor game for about 4 years and RC planes and helis for about 20 years including long-range FPV airplanes. Also been a ham radio op since I was a little kid - 40+ years. I have been using UAS in my work since before the Phantom rolled out, using RC planes with belly cams stuck in them. In multirotors, I started with the Phantom 1 when it first came out, then built a highly modified/tricked out DJI F450, then a QAV400G, then a QAV500. The Phantom 1 had a lot of hours on it and went down in ponds twice before augering in on a mission for reasons still unknown, but most likely pilot error. The F450 saw a lot of time before a bird strike took it down into an impenetrable shrub patch. The QAVs have been my workhorses for the past two years - although the FAA commercial ban shut down my use of these tools - and I decided to step up the game to be ready for the commercial-use licensing that's coming later this year. I'm also getting heavily involved with Pixhawk-CHDK-based mapping airplanes with integration into GIS/ArcGIS. I've conducted well-attended workshops at the CT and NY land trust rallies over the past three years, and I've matched up many land trusts in the USA with fliers to help them accomplish their missions. I am interested in hearing from anyone using UAS for land conservation or ecological science applications.

My Inspire has yet to have its first flight - any day now - as I am currently doing as much reading as possible to prep. Glad to have found this group.

Welcome aboard sounds like you have tons of experience , the Inspire 1 is a great quad to fly and all the info you need is right here on this forum , the only thing are all the firmware updates . I believe if it ain't broke don't fix it , mines been flying awsome with the same firmware , zero problems . Enjoy it and good luck...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redrocksshuttle