Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hello from Newcastle Australia

G'day all just joined the the Inspire ranks and can't wait to get in the air,anybody out there from nearby that would like to get together for a fly let me know.
Hi I'm in Newcastle too and have a p3 and just bought an Inspire. Hope to catch up with all the operators in the area

Welcome and enjoy your flying.

Sorry I'm not close enough to join you otherwise I would. I'm in Olinda Victoria, but I've had my Inspire One pretty much from when it was first released. I have had many hours of fun flying and taking great aerial videos with the X3 and X5 Gimbals. I am now looking to moving up to the Matrice 600 with Ronin MX Gimbal at the end of the year, but I still get great enjoyment flying the Inspire One and on lookers always have the amazed look on their faces as the Inspire One does it's Transformer trick with the raising and lowering of the landing gear.

Hi Zac, what purpose are you going to use the Matrice 600 for as it is a very specific aerial tool. If I were doing inspection work it would probably be my choice as well, the redundancy features make it a very safe platform. I'm currently looking for a Lidar pod under 50K to mount on one.

Hi guys I have a shoot on near Newcastle harbour Friday if anyone is interested. Happy for people to come along if they think it will help them.

Last edited:
Hi Mad Matt I'm also in Newcastle Australia & have full CASA licence & insurance if your interested in some procedure tips happy to help out & g for a fly.
Hi Mate I am in Mackay and would like a bit of advice if possible. I am waiting for my Inspire but would need to get my CASA accreditation as I aim to use for survey work

Hi Mate I am in Mackay and would like a bit of advice if possible. I am waiting for my Inspire but would need to get my CASA accreditation as I aim to use for survey work

What advice do you need?

What advice do you need?
Mate sorry to barge into you conversation. I have an Recreation pilots Licence from CASA I have rung CASA to find out if it is enough but there are no straight answers. I am a surveyor in QLD and I am looking to do some photogrammetry.

Mate sorry to barge into you conversation. I have an Recreation pilots Licence from CASA I have rung CASA to find out if it is enough but there are no straight answers. I am a surveyor in QLD and I am looking to do some photogrammetry.

Unfortunately its not quite whats required,
You will need a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) or UAV Controller Certificate (UAV CC).
and if you UAV is over 2KG you will need a Remote Operator Certificate (ReOC)

so just to make it easy... you probably already have 5 & 6 in the controller certificate

1: Steps to Obtaining your Remote Pilot Certificate / UAV Controller Certificate

1. Obtain your ARN (Aviation Reference Number)
  2. Log 5 hours of flying
  3. Complete the Theory Course (face-to-face or online)
  4. Pass the Practical Flying Assessment
  5. Obtain your AROC (Aviation Radio Operator Certificate) included in our course.
  6. Pass the English Language Proficiency (ELP) included in our course.
  7. RPAS Training will submit the application to CASA on your behalf.
The RePL / UAV CC does not require passing the PPL theory exam and is a much easier way to obtain Remote Pilot certification if you have no previous aviation experience.

2: Obtaining your CASA UAV Operator Certificate

1. Introduction to ICAO, CASA, CASR101 and relevant RPAS Operations
    1. Aerial Spotting
    2. Aerial Photography
    3. Power line inspections
    4. Aerial Surveying
    5. Visual Line of Sight (VLOS)
    6. Beyond Visual Line of Sight (BVLOS)
    7. Etc.
  2. Development of a Business Plan and market analysis;
    1. Determine aircraft / UAV / Drone / RPA to use;
    2. Market Analysis
    3. Etc.
  3. Conduct a Risk Assessment;
    1. What is a Risk Assessment and why do you need to integrate them into your RPAS operation
    2. Which types of risk assessment need to be completed
    3. When should the Job Risk Assessment or Flight Risk Assessment be completed
  4. Crew Induction – RPAS Operation
    1. Pilot Records
    2. Remote Pilot Certificate checks
    3. Understand internal operations procedures
    4. Etc.
  5. Crew Induction – Technical
    1. How to complete a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM)
    2. Maintaining RPAS aeronautical radio communications
    3. How to manage human factors in RPAS Operations
    4. How to apply regulations and policies during RPAS operations
    5. Navigating Remote Pilot Aircraft
    6. Use of Information Technology devices in the workplace
    7. How to manage RPAS pre- and post-flight actions
    8. Controlling the RPA on the ground
    9. Launching a RPA
    10. Controlling the RPA in normal Flight
    11. Recovery of the RPA
    12. How to manage RPA in abnormal flight conditions
    13. How to manage RPAS energy / battery resources
    14. Manage situation awareness in RPAS operations
  6. Developing an Operations Manual divided into:
    • Part A – General Policies and Procedures
    • Part B – RPAS Operating Procedures
    • Part C – Internal Training
    • Part D – Aerial Work Operations
    • Part E – RPAS Training School Operations
  1. Appoint the Chief Controller ( Remote Pilot Certificate needs to be approved already)
  2. Compile the Operations Manual suite of documents for the pre-application interview
  3. Request a pre-application interview and and submit the Operations Manual suite once the interview is confirmed
  4. Conduct the Pre-Application Interview with CASA
  5. Lodge official UOC application form 041
  6. Address comments and changes required by CASA until the Operations Manual suite is approved (Desktop Approval)
  7. Prepare for the practical flying assessment
  8. Obtain Public Liability Insurance;
  1. We have already contacted some insurance companies and help you to develop your Operations Manuals to
    • Incorporate the information required where applicable
    • Easily answer the questions required to apply for PLI Qoutes
  1. Complete the practical flying assessment
  2. Once the assessment is passed, WAIT FOR YOUR UOC TO BE ISSUED :).
Official RPAS Operators are companies that have officially applied for and had their UAV Operator Certificates issued by the national civil aviation authority. Some examples of these regulating authorities are CASA in Australia, FAA in the USA, CAA is South Africa and the UK etc.

If you operate a UAV / RPA / Drone in a commercial or business related environment in Australia for any of the following special operations (this list is a short sample and does not mention every type, it is only used to give you an idea) you need an UAV OC from CASA.

• Aerial advertising
  • Aerial Photography
  • Real Estate Photography
  • Aerial spotting
  • Aerial survey
  • Powerline inspections
  • Surveillance
  • Agricultural operations
  • UAV type conversion training
  • Low level aerial mapping

here is a link to the company I went through RPAS Training for CASA Remote Pilot Certificate or UAV CC to fly your UAV / Drone / RPA legally in Australia

Hope this helps...

Thanks a lot of things I will have to look at I have orderd a inspire pro from CR Kennerdy

Yes its quite involved but the Inspire is about 4kg so you will need both licence & operators certificate, are you just doing photogrammetry or lidar?

Yes its quite involved but the Inspire is about 4kg so you will need both licence & operators certificate, are you just doing photogrammetry or lidar?

With your PPL you'll have no problems & whoever you go through will do all the paperwork & lodge everything for you so it's not as overwhelming as it looks.
Good luck with it all & contact me if you need any help.

He has a Rec Pilots licence not a PPL - don't know if he has a pass in PPL(A) Theory? If so, the theory part is ticked off

From what I have heard about the new test I'm sure he is more than covered for the Remote Pilot Licence (RePL) theory.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
palakkhanna1