Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help needed

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Recently brought a inspire 1 v2. Because I spent my lifes savings on it would love some help from an experienced person to help me get it off the ground. I live on the sunshine coast in queensland. Could throw a few beers your way just don't want to crash and would like expert opinion on quiet lot of things.

Hello Sam,
I'm a little new to the Inspire 1 myself, but I'm willing to help where I can. First, take a deep breath. It's very easy to fly. If you've flown a quad before, the controls are exactly the same. I would highly recommend playing with the go app as much as you can. Try out the flight simulator before you take it for a spin. Before takeoff, do the following.

1. If you are a beginner, turn on beginner mode. This will prevent you from doing anything too advanced and keep you on training wheels (so to speak).
2. If you are not a beginner, and you've flown a quad before, you will be able to fly it very easily.
3. Pay close attention to your distance, altitude, and return to home settings. Always set these before take off. You don't want to have an emergency and run into a tree because the altitude is set to low.
4/ Pay close attention to your low and critical battery settings. Make sure you have these set to a comfortable level. I believe default is 25% for low and 15% for critical........ (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
5. Know what happens when you hit critical battery (your drone comes back home but you can still steer it. You can't adjust altitude)
6. Pay close attention to the flight time and the status bar. It will help you actively watch your battery level and flight time. Know what the "H" is. (H being point of safe return to home point).
7. Know how to read your IMU and compass settings and how to calibrate. (I believe they're usually between 1.00 and -100 on MOD and 1500ish on compass)(There's no such thing as over calibration. Calibrate wherever you are flying)
8. Always read the status bar at the top of the go app. Don't fly when it's not ready and don't fly when you have a critical update.
9. Always, and I mean always set your home point. The drone does this by default from where you take off, but sometimes your take off spot isn't the best for an emergency landing.
10. Know what mode your in. There's P, A, and F. P mode is where you want to be for GPS and stable flight. A is where you want to be if your experienced and don't need GPS. F is where you want to be if you want to access flight modes (Stick with P for now).
11. Know what the camera, record, gimbal wheel, playback wheel, etc do.
12. Know how to update your firmware. Never update the firmware on the transmitter first. Always start with the drone. (Do not turn on transmitter when drone is updating)(know how to read the log and look for success, failed, abort).

My own personal tip and a pro tip:
Drone on first / drone off last. Never in any other order. You want to be able to control it if something happens.

Propellers on last / propellers off first. Never in any other order. You don't want your hands near the propellers should these motors spin up accidently.

Get a small table or a landing pad. It wont go into travel mode on a non flat/semi gloss surface. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where your drone won't go back into it's case.

Come up with a pre-flight checklist so you don't forget any critical steps in setup.
Try an app like UAV Forecast to help you decide when, where, and what time it's good to fly.

All in all, there's a lot of good advice on these forums. Be safe, fly safe, and don't do anything courageous as you learn. This drone is snappy and it will get away from you. Less is more.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoltanh
Hello Sam,
I'm a little new to the Inspire 1 myself, but I'm willing to help where I can. First, take a deep breath. It's very easy to fly. If you've flown a quad before, the controls are exactly the same. I would highly recommend playing with the go app as much as you can. Try out the flight simulator before you take it for a spin. Before takeoff, do the following.

1. If you are a beginner, turn on beginner mode. This will prevent you from doing anything too advanced and keep you on training wheels (so to speak).
2. If you are not a beginner, and you've flown a quad before, you will be able to fly it very easily.
3. Pay close attention to your distance, altitude, and return to home settings. Always set these before take off. You don't want to have an emergency and run into a tree because the altitude is set to low.
4/ Pay close attention to your low and critical battery settings. Make sure you have these set to a comfortable level. I believe default is 25% for low and 15% for critical........ (someone correct me if I'm wrong)
5. Know what happens when you hit critical battery (your drone comes back home but you can still steer it. You can't adjust altitude)
6. Pay close attention to the flight time and the status bar. It will help you actively watch your battery level and flight time. Know what the "H" is. (H being point of safe return to home point).
7. Know how to read your IMU and compass settings and how to calibrate. (I believe they're usually between 1.00 and -100 on MOD and 1500ish on compass)(There's no such thing as over calibration. Calibrate wherever you are flying)
8. Always read the status bar at the top of the go app. Don't fly when it's not ready and don't fly when you have a critical update.
9. Always, and I mean always set your home point. The drone does this by default from where you take off, but sometimes your take off spot isn't the best for an emergency landing.
10. Know what mode your in. There's P, A, and F. P mode is where you want to be for GPS and stable flight. A is where you want to be if your experienced and don't need GPS. F is where you want to be if you want to access flight modes (Stick with P for now).
12. Know how to update your firmware. Never update the firmware on the transmitter first. Always start with the drone. (Do not turn on transmitter when drone is updating)(know how to read the log and look for success, failed, abort).

Drone on first / drone off last. Never in any other order. You want to be able to control it if something happens.

Propellers on last / propellers off first. Never in any other order. You don't want your hands near the propellers should these motors spin up accidently.

Get a small table or a landing pad. It wont go into travel mode on a non flat/semi gloss surface. You don't want to get stuck in a situation where your drone won't go back into it's case.

Come up with a pre-flight checklist so you don't forget any critical steps in setup.
Try an app like UAV Forecast to help you decide when, where, and what time it's good to fly.

All in all, there's a lot of good advice on these forums. Be safe, fly safe, and don't do anything courageous as you learn. This drone is snappy and it will get away from you. Less is more.

Hello Sam,

Mate thanks a tonne. Great advice and I will be sure to do everything u mentioned. Your a true legend.

Hey everyone. Recently brought a inspire 1 v2. Because I spent my lifes savings on it would love some help from an experienced person to help me get it off the ground. I live on the sunshine coast in queensland. Could throw a few beers your way just don't want to crash and would like expert opinion on quiet lot of things.
YouTube is your friend. There are countless tutorial videos on the inspire therein. Also, the DJI website has videos. Lastly, the search engine on this forum is very good. If you have a query, just enter it in the search, most topics have already been discussed. I must say when I first purchased my bird, I found that it wasn't a simple matter of taking it out of the box and flying it. Learn the different systems of the aircraft and how they relate to the operation of it. Read the manual. As gabez suggested, practice on the simulator. It's a very accurate representation of how it flys. Learn to fly in ATTI mode and crank up the wind speed. Make sure the IMU is calibrated properly on a level surface, and do it right away when you turn the aircraft on. Do not touch it, or cause any vibration while it is calibrating. You do not have do another calibration unless there is a firmware update or the AC receives a hard landing. Regarding the compass calibration-make sure it is done away from any metal, cars, cement structures with rebar, even buried metal. Once you have a clean compass calibration, it is not necessary to do another unless you travel several hundred miles from the calibration site. The more you calibrate, the more likely you stand a chance of doing the calibration over buried metal. The calibration the readings will look good, until you take off. Then, without the influence of the metal the values will change and you'll be in trouble. That's when you switch to ATTI mode. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: slim.slamma
Hello Sam,

I would always go transmitter on first/off last. If the Craft is on, and not your transmitter, could start an unwanted firmware change, or catch a signal from something else (not sure what).
Import to know and understand the air regulations of the country you are operating, and I would set the max altitude to 120m/400ft (assuming same as UK) then you wont get in trouble.
Apart from that good advise.

I would always go transmitter on first/off last. If the Craft is on, and not your transmitter, could start an unwanted firmware change, or catch a signal from something else (not sure what).
Import to know and understand the air regulations of the country you are operating, and I would set the max altitude to 120m/400ft (assuming same as UK) then you wont get in trouble.
Apart from that good advise.
I just realized I mis-typed that after all this time. It was suppose to read:

RC on first / drone off last. Never in any other order. You want to be able to control it if something happens.

Reactions: Ikopta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan