Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help with video glitch

Reaction score
I would appreciate anyone's help in figuring out this video glitch problem.

Over the last 6 weeks, I've been using an I2 with the X4S, 128 GB Samsung Pro Card and shooting in 4k 60. On a few occasions I've experienced what I can best describe as an interruption or jerking motion in the video.

This occurs rather infrequently but did occur again yesterday twice within 15 minutes of video. In FCPX, I can isolate it as 1-2 frames.

I cannot tell if it is the camera, the drone, or the card. The relative infrequency makes it difficult to isolate. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I tried to upload a 3MB short clip with 2 examples close together. The forum would not allow a .mov or m4v extension, so I placed in my dropbox.

Dropbox - BB Glitch 720.mov

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Hi Barry,

What is the frame rate of your timeline in your editor? What frame rate was exported?

Perhaps my lack of knowledge is making this unclear. This glitch is seen in the FCPX timeline and appears in the rendered output as well.

Frame rate discrepancies can cause this but 59.94 all the way through is not going to be your issue. 4K 60 in an NLE can stutter under the load. Was this shot h.264 or h.265? What format was your export?

I would suggest playing the original h.264 file in a standalone player and seeing if the issue is there. Please let us know.

I would appreciate anyone's help in figuring out this video glitch problem.

Over the last 6 weeks, I've been using an I2 with the X4S, 128 GB Samsung Pro Card and shooting in 4k 60. On a few occasions I've experienced what I can best describe as an interruption or jerking motion in the video.

This occurs rather infrequently but did occur again yesterday twice within 15 minutes of video. In FCPX, I can isolate it as 1-2 frames.

I cannot tell if it is the camera, the drone, or the card. The relative infrequency makes it difficult to isolate. Any help you can provide would be appreciated. I tried to upload a 3MB short clip with 2 examples close together. The forum would not allow a .mov or m4v extension, so I placed in my dropbox.

Dropbox - BB Glitch 720.mov

Thanks in advance,

Barry

Isolate it….

Check the file on it’s own without going through your NLE. If it’s in the file, could be that the card is not writing properly. You could have deleted video's/stills off the card more than once, twice and not given it a good re-formatting. Try reformatting the card and see if this helps.

I've only used 4k60 and reformat the card prior to each use

I did check the file outside FCPX and the glitch is present. I will try a new card

I appreciate everyone's help

Yes, for sure try 30 FPS as well. 60 FPS at 4K may be overwhelming the 100 Mbps in some instances. Since you are playing back at the same frame rate (not slow) you will likely appreciate the increased data per frame at 30 FPS.

Thank you. The real problem is that this happens rather infrequently and is difficult to pin down. I've taken several videos and this has only appeared on two.

Can you explain the increased data per frame at 30 fps. I don't understand.

Thanks again

Barry

Hi Barry,

Sure. The data rate for 4K on your X4S is 100 Mbps for all frame rates. So, when you shoot at 60 FPS you have half the data per frame as you do at 30 FPS. That means heavier compression has to be used and more compression artifacts. What you are seeing is very likely a compression abnormality. This is an oversimplification but the core concept is accurate. There are two main reasons why you would choose 60 FPS. Ultra smooth (many would say "unrealistically" smooth - whatever that means :)) playback at 60 FPS or (more commonly) for slow motion playback at a slower frame rate such as 30 FPS. If your goal is playback in real time (not slow motion) then you may like the more common (video) look of 30 FPS better or if you are going for a film-like style, 24 FPS.

30 FPS at 1/60th of a second shutter speed is a very common starting point for video. I would highly suggest that you give that a try and see what you think.

I hope that helps.

Ran some additional tests this am. Changed the card and the glitch still occurred on a few frames at 4K 60.

However, it did not occur at 4K 30, despite multiple attempts. Seems like I've narrowed it down to 4k 60.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks,

Barry

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catalyst