Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

High Wind Warnings

Reaction score
Has anyone else seen these warnings, they have appeared on nearly every flight. Some of the flights i have done this would have been warented as it can be really windy here in the North of Scotland. At the weekend though it was not all that bad and the warning still appeared. It says "Too much high wind velocity. Fly with caution and ensure the aircraft remains in sight" I think this has been set too sensitive in firmware, or maybe i'm so used to flying in windy conditions I don't think its that bad!!

Les

Get it all the time living in the equally hilly and windy Pennines. I just ignore it now (case of crying wolf too often :( ) and use my own judgement on wind conditions.

I do however look at the fpv cam view and see how much roll is present on the I2 if I'm hovering and reorient it to an even keel if needed as it shuts the warnings up for a bit :D

Hopefully DJI will tweak the warnings a bit in future. I've noticed since moving to go4.0.4 that the warning now appears as an RTH Button (return to home warning)!!

Yes, it's annoying as hell! As long as the aircraft isn't uncontrollably drifting downwind then I don't care for a warning. Even then a warning doesn't help, because you can clearly tell when it's windy...

Sent from my iPhone using InspirePilots

The Inspire 1 has a wind rated around 22mph. If flying above or near this it's nice for firmware to warn you if it senses it is coming close to those wind speeds and gusts can easily push the Inspire way over the rated wind speed. All that is needed is a sustained longer gust and risk increases dramaticly.

It would be interesting to hear of the exact wind speed when these 'useful' warnings appear. Using the word windy doesn't really convey much as to the suitability of the level at which it kicks in. Any exact wind speed figures folks?

PfCO Holder
BNUC-S Qualified

Reactions: eldorado
it seems to be more to do with how banked over the I2 and the position of the gimbal is rather than exact wind or gust speeds.

I've had it appear practically in any wind speed (or lack of it) and probably if I check my logs in virtually all my flights. It'd be all the more remarkable for its absence than its presence.

I've flown it in 15 gusting 26mph surface winds (measured by anemometer), atti drift speed measurements were around 30-35mph, and it was warranted grumbling in that, fair-do. But it's also grumbled in negligible surface winds, with 10-15mph atti drift speeds where the grumble wasn't really warranted. I've put the Phantom 4 up in similar winds (sometimes after the I2) and never had a grumble from it.

Let's just say that, in the U.K. from my experience so far, if you were to land and not fly when the message appeared, you'd never fly ;) .

I don't have a Anemometer use an App called Hover it had the wind at 28mph no gust values. My wife could not look as she was sure it was going to drop into the sea. The Inspire was really working to hold station you can see the movement in the video. She is definitely more stable in the vertical plane than the inspire 1. PS i am proficient in ATTI mode, would not fly if I did not think I could land her manually.

Les

Reactions: Cruncher
I agree that the warnings have been popping up at surprising times. I noticed it flying my p4p today when playing around in sport mode. I was pushing it hard for fun and the warning came on. Wind was probably only 5mph. I wasn't worried.

BUT - it did save me when flying the i2 on a job. I was worrying about having to fly right before a storm hit. The client was wanting/pushing to get one last shot before the storm (crazy gusts!) and I was thankful to show them the warning and bring it on home.

"See...The inspire wants to go inside. Shouldn't we?"

Reactions: NickU
SWINDY - from part 107 rules what attitude where you displaying and what attitude was your client displaying and how could the outcome of both of your attitudes been different?

FYI - just looking out for you brother and also this is a good example of what happens in real world scenarios

Lol!! You are on point with that! I agree totally. And I was upset with my PIC'ing. I was thankful that the FAA gave us a vocabulary for this sort of thing. I dismissed it when studying for it.

B/c of that I was able to put to words to my partner that I had a lapse of judgement with regards to RESIGNATION and BRAVADO. Not again!

That day...I learned a little about wind warnings and a little bit about myself.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamwalker4963