Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hobbyists the fun is over

MacDyver,

None of this removes the requirement to notify the airports within 5 miles. The FAA does not require you use any particular app such as Hover vrs. B4UFLY. Do keep in mind that neither Hover or DJ claims to list all airports within 5 miles. The FAA certainly does not recommend you use Hover as a green light to fly.

The FAA app called B4UFLY is the only app I am aware of that will easily show you the airports within 5 miles.

The page that leads you the FAA page you provided has a nice table that show the requirements for "Fly for Fun" vrs. "Fly for Work" including Location requirements.

Getting Started

MacDyver also please understand that I am on your side and I do feel that the requirements of P.L. 112-95 are too convoluted and restrictive for recreational use unless you are a AMA member flying at a AMA sanctioned field.

I also condsider you very high on the good guy list of recreational drone users. Many recreational users ignore all regulations and requirements and just fly wherever they want. Their approach is to claim ignorance and avoid police officers and cease operations when confronted.

In yours case when confronted you sent an email to the Miami Dade Aviation department with the statement that you will continue to fly in the park pursuant Park and FAA regulations.

With $11K invested in your hobby I would hate to see you loose your equipment or subject to a FAA fine as I truly do see you as one of the good guys. My only motivation here is to help you avoid this situation.

I do feel that the new FAA regulations leave urban UAS recreational users in the cold. Unfortunately here is no provision for a non-commercial recreational pilot certificate.

Most non-commercial drone pilots I know ignore the restrictions, try to stay off the radar and avoid the police. Hover or DJIGO may be adequate if you want to join this group.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacDyver
"The FAA app called B4UFLY is the only app I am aware of that will easily show you the airports within 5 miles." The Airmap for Drones" app does it also and has more controls. I believe b4youfly also uses airmap.

"The FAA app called B4UFLY is the only app I am aware of that will easily show you the airports within 5 miles." The Airmap for Drones" app does it also and has more controls. I believe b4youfly also uses airmap.
DJIGO, Airmap and Hover uses data from Airmap.io. Airmap.io is doing their own thing that does not tie back into any FAA regulations.

Best I can tell they have created what they think is a good idea without consulting the FAA regulations. Of course until quite recently they have not had any regulations to guide them, but they do not seem to be moving forward to adopt either Part 101 or Part 107.

I do not know if anyone else has any idea of what their plans are, but I see nothing on their website.

Until then it appears that the FAA B4UFLY app is it for Part 101 recreational users.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters