Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How critical is frame rate and bitrate for buyers

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm making some final tweaks before going live with phase 2 of our distribution platform. I was wondering how important is it to buyers to display the framerate and bitrate of footage.

I can imagine frame rate has huge impact, but what about bittrate. Assuming footage is in 4K and at 29.97 fps, would that not imply high bitrate by default. Would you believe it necessary to display that information as well, or is this just a good to have?

Any feedback is welcomed.

Cheers

Patrice

...Assuming footage is in 4K and at 29.97 fps, would that not imply high bitrate by default. ....

Well, if its shot on anything DJI then no since the VBR is pegged at a paltry 60mbps which is woefully inadequate for decent 4k material.

Well, if its shot on anything DJI then no since the VBR is pegged at a paltry 60mbps which is woefully inadequate for decent 4k material.
Ok thanks, but I have been approached by companies like LG and Samsung who were very impressed by the quality of the footage I had captured with DJI products and wanted to purchase some clips to promote their 4K displays. Can't be that bad. Ok, the locations of those shots were pretty amazing, and I did time my shots accordingly, but if we disregard brand, will the bitrate automatically translate into better quality footage?

Would that be the same as saying that a 16 megapixel camera is automatically better than a 12 megapixel camera?

The reason I am asking is that I am wondering if I absolutely need to display bitrate on my site or not.

What is more important: having a higher bitrate or having a gorgeous sequence shot with proper exposure and artistry?

If you were a customer (and perhaps some of you are), what would be more important to you?

Really interested in getting as many opinions as possible on this.

Cheers

Well it sounds like the answer you want to hear is no, it doesn't matter.
But in reality of course it does to someone like LG and Samsung. I have no idea why they would want DJI footage to use to demonstrate their 4k displays. You could be the greatest drone pilot in the world but there are dozens of guys flying Red Epic's for high end productions, it would be a drop in the bucket for a TV manufacturer to get some legitimate footage to demonstrate their displays.
These cameras have their applications, but in the end, it's a glorified gopro with a flat lens that anyone can get from best buy for about $3,000.

Well it sounds like the answer you want to hear is no, it doesn't matter.
But in reality of course it does to someone like LG and Samsung. I have no idea why they would want DJI footage to use to demonstrate their 4k displays. You could be the greatest drone pilot in the world but there are dozens of guys flying Red Epic's for high end productions, it would be a drop in the bucket for a TV manufacturer to get some legitimate footage to demonstrate their displays.
These cameras have their applications, but in the end, it's a glorified gopro with a flat lens that anyone can get from best buy for about $3,000.
Ok, thanks for that. I agree.

We are getting a bit besides the original questions I was asking. Here they are:

- On my stock footage platform, should I be displaying the frame rate and bitrate of footage for potential buyers to see right up front, next to the preview of that footage?

- Should I also allow people to mention which equipment they used for filming.

Are both these components of high value to potential buyers.

Ok, thanks for that. I agree.

We are getting a bit besides the original questions I was asking. Here they are:

- On my stock footage platform, should I be displaying the frame rate and bitrate of footage for potential buyers to see right up front, next to the preview of that footage?

- Should I also allow people to mention which equipment they used for filming.

Are both these components of high value to potential buyers.
Bitrate - no I would say that's not needed because it's not a deciding factor. The footage will pass the buyers eye test or it won't, regardless of bitrate. The camera or at least category of camera should be abundantly obvious to the knowledgeable buyer, but I suppose many will not be knowledgeable so I would say yes listing the camera should be a given if it is a footage distribution platform.
Frame rate however is very important. Especially when it comes to PAL vs. NTSC standards. That would be a must in my opinion.

Bitrate - no I would say that's not needed because it's not a deciding factor. The footage will pass the buyers eye test or it won't, regardless of bitrate. The camera or at least category of camera should be abundantly obvious to the knowledgeable buyer, but I suppose many will not be knowledgeable so I would say yes listing the camera should be a given if it is a footage distribution platform.
Frame rate however is very important. Especially when it comes to PAL vs. NTSC standards. That would be a must in my opinion.
Cool, appreciate the feedback.

Anyone else have a point of view?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop