Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do I fly in a "No Fly Zone" aka "Airport"

Reaction score
New to this forum but a member of the Phantom forum (and wishing for an Inspire!)

The topic below is with the assumption that the Phantom and the Inspire use the same DJI GO App and therefore, similar firmware.

I have been asked to participate by flying the Phantom 3P and answering questions about drones during an Airport Day Fly-In at an airport that is in red in the DJI Map "No Fly Zones". During that day, there will be an antique car show and RC aerobatic demonstrations in addition to the many airplanes that are coming in.

I have contacted the official staff at the airport and I have obtained permission to fly during the event. FAA regulation say that I must contact and inform Air Traffic Control or Airport Operator with prior notice. I have not only done that but I have also obtained authorization even though I did not have to.

So here are the questions:
Is my Phantom 3P (or an Inspire) able to fly?
If I fly in ATTI mode, would it take off?
Is there a way to disable the no fly feature?
Do you think it is appropriate for DJI to have a feature to prevent you to fly when the FAA says is ok if you advise?
Does one have to buy a different brand to be able to fly in this case?

I feel that this will be a great opportunity to have a positive interaction with the public about drones. To dispel any misconception about privacy and danger and promote the awesome technology that the drones bring.

Inspires are quite different but I have two phantom 2s. Assuming they are the same, you can very easily open up the quad and disconnect the GPS. Was simple on the P2. If you have permission, which it sounds like you do, you should have no issues.
Not sure if new firmware will allow you to fly without your GPS or not but if it will not, again, open it, then just wrap the GPS in a few layers of foil. It will never catch a signal.

Inspires are quite different but I have two phantom 2s. Assuming they are the same, you can very easily open up the quad and disconnect the GPS. Was simple on the P2. If you have permission, which it sounds like you do, you should have no issues.
Not sure if new firmware will allow you to fly without your GPS or not but if it will not, again, open it, then just wrap the GPS in a few layers of foil. It will never catch a signal.

Can the Inspire fly in a red "No Fly Zone" airport? That will give me an additional reason to purchase!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla