Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do you cache & save map in DJI pilot app ???

The ipad air 2 with the A8x chip is much better then the shield in my mind for the inspire. i find its frame rate seems better in testing. android is dead last.. shield seemd to have a very slight skip when panning, i decided to go with ipad air 2
I got my NVIDIA Shield Friday and have it all set up. My Inspire1 comes tuesday. I'm so excited it's actually giving me anxiety waiting! LOL. I'll let you know how the Shield works out. Cheers.

With regards to cache map on android.

How to you cache a map when your next venue is hundreds of miles away in a remote area that is probably going to have no cell/mobile signal?

Is there a way you can type in lat/long,cache map then travel to flight area?

Pushing the map around the general area seems a bit hit miss when you do not know the topography and only have lat long to work from?

When I try to install v1.0 on my mini (1), I get the message: "Cannot Download: This app is not compatible with your device.

It did load on the 6+ but it's a tad small for geezer eyes.
Did Pops ever get resolution to the iPad Mini 1 issue - i have 2 of these units and cant justify another purchase...

Sad to say, I think we better save our pennies Djaunay. I've tried several times and the results are the same. And once you have had the Mini in use, the iPhone 6+ even seems too small.

I'm already scheming to see how I can sneak a new Mini2 into the house. I bought two controllers so I really need two of them. It's gonna take some alcohol or flowers to get this done.

I take my iPhone as a hot spot and connect my iPad mini 2 with the hot spot to catch the map

Reactions: PB30X
Yes using phone as hot spot works well when there is phone coverage.

However what I am after is how do you cache a map that is hundreds of miles away in a remote area that is well known for no phone coverage?

Specifically on android.

This is the sixty million dollar question

Pity there was not a way to put lat/long into a "map search engine" on the app..........................

Same answer, connect to the net, open the app on the map page, and navigate around the place you want cached. Done.

Reactions: PB30X
Thanks,I realise this is how to cache map WHEN you have net access -what I mean is the area you are /will be operating in is hundreds of miles away and has NO Net Access?
No ability to connect to Net-The only other option I can see is to map to ground all the way to the area you will operating in(even though you may not know the exact take off point etc,etc,)which can be time consuming and difficult to do if you are unsure of the area ,navigate around and let map cache.?

Yep that's it, you need to navigate the area in advance in some place where you have a connection.

Pretty much impossible to know, will depend on how many other places are loaded etc...

so--workflow *on site* could be:
wifi turn on on the tablet-hot spot on phone. Cache map, then turn off wifi, right? It's my understanding (looking for correction here) that we should not have wifi on during flight, for any possible interference, etc.
Obviously it'd be great to pre-cache a map first..but sometimes I end up going to a place I didn't plan, etc.
Thoughts on that?

Yup that's what many of us do.
right on--thanks, dude. Can I please ask the beginner question of the day? Please don't crucify me.
I want the map--I do..but do I need the map? Or--what are the possible consequences of not having the map?

Nothing at all, just convenient to have a quick look at it to know exactly where you are if with the angle it's hard to know exactly if you're over whatever you wanted to be over for example...
Can also help find your thing in case you crash it, but if you do you can always load it after the fact and replay the log.

Nothing at all, just convenient to have a quick look at it to know exactly where you are if with the angle it's hard to know exactly if you're over whatever you wanted to be over for example...
Can also help find your thing in case you crash it, but if you do you can always load it after the fact and replay the log.
Got it. Man, thanks again.

Anyone know how long does a map stay in cache?
I'm using google maps, android. In addition to cacheing, I also save the map in google maps, just like you do to use google maps for offline gps navigation. I think the saved maps are good for 30 days, then google maps prompts to re-download the saved map.

Enjoy life and be nice

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
travejars