Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do you cache & save map in DJI pilot app ???

I'm using google maps, android. In addition to cacheing, I also save the map in google maps, just like you do to use google maps for offline gps navigation. I think the saved maps are good for 30 days, then google maps prompts to re-download the saved map.

Enjoy life and be nice
Hey Crashburn--beginner stuff, I know--please bear with me here.
Are you in Google maps before going into the app, doing the panning around to cache? Or are you in the Inspire Pilot app doing it there? Does it cache in Google maps if you are doing it in the app and visa versa? Thanks, man.

Hey Crashburn--beginner stuff, I know--please bear with me here.
Are you in Google maps before going into the app, doing the panning around to cache? Or are you in the Inspire Pilot app doing it there? Does it cache in Google maps if you are doing it in the app and visa versa? Thanks, man.
Makes no difference for cacheing. But, I am also saving the map in g.maps for offline use. See
https://support.google.com/gmm/answer/3263242?p=maps_android_tips_tricks&hl=en&rd=1

Enjoy life and be nice

Last edited:
How can you put that map into the Pilot App? It seems to automatically go to the map most recently cached in the app.... For example say I have Map 1, Map 2 and Map 3 saved in Gmaps. How do i tell the Pilot app which map I want to use.... Using iPads..... Or does it just read it's current GPS and tries to find the map for that area that is saved in G Maps?

Perhaps that feature in not available in the Apple Version....

How can you put that map into the Pilot App? It seems to automatically go to the map most recently cached in the app.... For example say I have Map 1, Map 2 and Map 3 saved in Gmaps. How do i tell the Pilot app which map I want to use.... Using iPads..... Or does it just read it's current GPS and tries to find the map for that area that is saved in G Maps?

Perhaps that feature in not available in the Apple Version....
Not available in ios, only android

Enjoy life and be nice

I'm not using a sunshade yet, just my Zeiss Cimemizer. I hook it to the hdmi port on the Nvidia instead of the hdmi on the rc, that way I get a screen mirror and can switch to map view, see if I'm recording, etc. Don't get this using the rc hdmi, although there is osd telemetry. The Nvidia screen is not as bright as ipad, but you can change it to native display instead of rgb, which brightens it up some. A sunshade would be necessary if only using the monitor with either the ipad or nvidia. I intend to get or make one soon. If you find a vendor, please post it.

Enjoy life and be nice
I just bought the Cinemizer glasses. Any problems. Your happy with them? Make it easier to fly? What info is shown on the screen? Any stats, or just a clean view?

I just bought the Cinemizer glasses. Any problems. Your happy with them? Make it easier to fly? What info is shown on the screen? Any stats, or just a clean view?
No problems and I'm happy with them. If your device has hdmi, like the Navidia Shield, you see exactly what's on your device. If you use the tx hdmi, and turn on the on screen display, osd, in the dji app, then you get some telemetry data, otherwise a clean screen.

Enjoy life and be nice

99% of my flying is away from cellular services, so I was hoping to cache the maps before leaving for the site.
My flight records therefore shows "map loading" for ever and a day... upon my return.

I highlighted this inability to keep the maps in cache on various forums.

I still have the same issues with the maps on my iPAD Mini 2 Wi-Fi only seemingly not caching, even after the 1.4 updates.
The iPAD Mini was specifically purchased as the flight monitor of choice for my Inspire 1 because of the simulator App.

On my Nokia device (non Windows) I used the off-line maps by Nokia for many many years, which has since become a standalone product called Here Maps.
Since changing to an Android phone device about 2 years ago, I used Here Maps extensively as it works perfect in off-line mode - even with address searches and voice guidance routing!
I know you can cache Google Maps for about a 50km radius from your location, but the off-line cached maps only stays valid for 30 days or something.

For some time Here Maps was not available on the Apple platform, but was recently re-introduced. Yesterday I downloaded Here Maps from the iOS App Store and installed the off-line maps for my location onto the iPAD Mini 2 - some 315MB.
Now if only I can figure out how to tell the DJI Go App to use Nokia Maps?
Hopefully this will solve all my mapping problems and I will be able to see my waypoints on the off-line maps too.

But I have full google maps when using my Nvidia Shield with airplane mode on… must be cacheing map prior to leaving home while WIFI was on and I was moving around on pilot app. Strange that this works in android without the menu option as in ios.

Enjoy life and be nice
thats cause google maps caches the maps itself and the dji app connects too and uses google maps for the map data. apparently, and no surprise here, apple lacks this map cache functionality.

Will Google Maps automatically replace the iOS maps in the DJI App if it is installed on my iPAD Mini 2 WiFi?
unsure, but its my understanding theres a function in the dji pilot apple app version to cache maps to make up for this apple map apps lack of functionality.

Okay...

So I downloaded Google Maps.
I saved the map regions I require to "Your places".
I make sure "Airplane mode" is selected.
I open DJI Go and change my view to the area I will visit.
No maps.

I exit DJI Go and open Google Maps - I can see the cached maps.

What am I doing wrong?

Okay...

No maps.

What am I doing wrong?
Did you try what post number two in this thread on the first page said?

Okay...

No maps.

What am I doing wrong?
The iOS DJI GO app uses Apple maps not Google. To cache the maps for the area you intend flying in, open the GO app, ensure that map caching is switch on and select the map while at home with wifi access to the Internet. Select the area you want and the scroll around to download/cache the map tiles. You need to do this at 3 levels of zoom making sure each tile is downloaded before moving to the tile. Once done you can travel to your operating area and fly without further internet connection. If you load extra areas then they will overwrite the cache but I cannot tell what this limit is.

Last edited:
Don't you have to turn the setting on which is mentioned in the second post of this thread? Or is this no longer the case in the newer version go app?

Hey everyone...

Just to clarify...
I tried everything as per the manual and what is written in many posts. Somehow when I get to site I do not have the maps.

Then and only then after all that battle did I try to use the Google and/or Here maps.

What I did not mention is that I "cache the maps" normally the evening before I go to site. Some sites being more than 100km away from base for any particular day.

But I am giving up on this.
I will work towards upgrading to S900 with all the required hardware including for Ground Station.

Hey everyone...

Just to clarify...
I tried everything as per the manual and what is written in many posts. Somehow when I get to site I do not have the maps.

Then and only then after all that battle did I try to use the Google and/or Here maps.

What I did not mention is that I "cache the maps" normally the evening before I go to site. Some sites being more than 100km away from base for any particular day.

But I am giving up on this.
I will work towards upgrading to S900 with all the required hardware including for Ground Station.
If you have switched on Cache Maps in the iOS app and followed the process I described above, then I do not understand why they are not there on site. I have cached maps further away than 100km and they were still available for me. How many sites are you trying to cache? Go luck with the S900.

If you have switched on Cache Maps in the iOS app and followed the process I described above, then I do not understand why they are not there on site. I have cached maps further away than 100km and they were still available for me. How many sites are you trying to cache? Go luck with the S900.

Morning Scot

Yes I have done exactly as per your instructions.
What I am thinking is that perhaps, just perhaps I did not zoom in enough.
But having been around PCs and map software like the stuff for my Garmin that I use off-road, for a long time, I could have become a little careless or inattentive.

I assume I have to have the RC and iPAD connected and both switched on when caching - right?
Aircraft can sit in its case ;-)

I'll give it another go and see what gives...

Morning Scot

Yes I have done exactly as per your instructions.
What I am thinking is that perhaps, just perhaps I did not zoom in enough.
But having been around PCs and map software like the stuff for my Garmin that I use off-road, for a long time, I could have become a little careless or inattentive.

I assume I have to have the RC and iPAD connected and both switched on when caching - right?
Aircraft can sit in its case ;-)

I'll give it another go and see what gives...
Good morning
No you don't need the iPad connected to the RC. I normally do my caching sitting on the sofa watching TV the night before. It can take some time to scroll slowly through each zoom level (three in total) to ensure each map tile is sharp especially with my slow broadband. It has been suggested to DJI that this process should be automated but that is not the case now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry