Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How do you fly with single remote?

Reaction score
Website
ibareitall.com
So I had had my inspire 1 for almost 5 days and did about 12 flights but mostly with my buddy who is a local cinema photographer and we have been practicing the 2 controller setup which is working out quite well. I was wondering tho for single controller use and camera operations what you have c1 and c2 mapped to?

So I had had my inspire 1 for almost 5 days and did about 12 flights but mostly with my buddy who is a local cinema photographer and we have been practicing the 2 controller setup which is working out quite well. I was wondering tho for single controller use and camera operations what you have c1 and c2 mapped to?

C1: snap forward (for 2-controller flights), I don't bother remapping it for single-controller flights

C2: Map/camera toggle

C1: snap forward (for 2-controller flights), I don't bother remapping it for single-controller flights

C2: Map/camera toggle

Hmm, so with single controller you just do the pitch/yaw for the camera.. I'm going to try to have it switch between modes so I can tilt the camera up and down and hit c2 to switch to rotating around. Anyhow thank you for your feedback.

Hmm, so with single controller you just do the pitch/yaw for the camera.. I'm going to try to have it switch between modes so I can tilt the camera up and down and hit c2 to switch to rotating around. Anyhow thank you for your feedback.

Camera Yaw: Gimbal Follow Mode + pilot aircraft

Camera Attitude/Angle: gimbal dial up/down

is what I find works pretty well in single-controller mode. It's a similar setup to the Phantom 2 + H3-3D gimbal + GoPro I came from.

Reactions: stevet
one of mine resets the camera to straight, while the other switches between pan/tilt

Well you pitch with the dial, and for yaw you just turn the aircraft with the gimbal in follow mode.

Yes!!!!!!....... There is also a 'Plink' ........ You plink the switches on the remote but you plonk your finger on the screen!
You must keep up with these technical terms. :p
I see myself as a plonker...but I think others see me as a plinker. Whaddayagonnado.

What I don't understand (unless I've missed it somewhere) is why gimbal follow mode is so un-smooth. There really needs to be an option to slow down the follow movement so it looks more natural. I find it almost useless as is unless turning the aircraft extremely slowly. Has anyone found a solution or work around to this? Does changing stick sensitivity settings help at all?

An example would be nice to see specifically what you're referring to. Otherwise...

Practice. Slow steady moves. Practice. I'm learning that it takes a fair amount of finesse. Practice.

Reactions: PB30X
I figure practice will help, but a setting to slow it down would be nice. It seems way too sensitive. The slightest movements are very noticeable and kind of defeat the value of this gimbal mode imo. I don't have an example handy, but I'm sure others have experienced this as well.

What I don't understand (unless I've missed it somewhere) is why gimbal follow mode is so un-smooth. There really needs to be an option to slow down the follow movement so it looks more natural. I find it almost useless as is unless turning the aircraft extremely slowly. Has anyone found a solution or work around to this? Does changing stick sensitivity settings help at all?

acedd939bf65e2f120f121eb96ac81b7.jpg

I find my settings to be around 40%.. The free and follow modes are much to be observed and learned beings if you/I fly independently. I sold my second remote realizing I bought this for me. Most cases it would be an amateur learning the cam functions and you're just having fun or already know what you want to capture/film.. I'm a solo flyer with intent to have fun is all, not looking to be a professional filmmaker lol.. Although the photography end is controllable[emoji6]! Good Luck, be patient and smooth..

acedd939bf65e2f120f121eb96ac81b7.jpg

I find my settings to be around 40%.. The free and follow modes are much to be observed and learned beings if you/I fly independently. I sold my second remote realizing I bought this for me. Most cases it would be an amateur learning the cam functions and you're just having fun or already know what you want to capture/film.. I'm a solo flyer with intent to have fun is all, not looking to be a professional filmmaker lol.. Although the photography end is controllable[emoji6]! Good Luck, be patient and smooth..

Which setting is it that you are setting to around 40%? The gimbal wheel speed setting doesn't change the follow speed when turning the aircraft. Are you changing the turn speed of the aircraft? Thanks!

Which setting is it that you are setting to around 40%? The gimbal wheel speed setting doesn't change the follow speed when turning the aircraft. Are you changing the turn speed of the aircraft? Thanks!

The Gimbal Speed (slow-med-fast)!! It's actually a variable potentiometer.. Very smooth and slow, or very responsive quick and fast..

Aircraft speed and control sensitivity are in the advanced settings for main controller.. Can't really tell you what to adjust to other than make minute adjustments.. Everyone is different with stick control..

The Gimbal Speed (slow-med-fast)!! It's actually a variable potentiometer.. Very smooth and slow, or very responsive quick and fast..

Aircraft speed and control sensitivity are in the advanced settings for main controller.. Can't really tell you what to adjust to other than make minute adjustments.. Everyone is different with stick control..

Ooooh gimbal speed? I don't see that in the screenshot. That sounds like what I'm looking for. Where's that option?

Edit: Sorry I re-read your post and realized there's no setting.

I figure practice will help, but a setting to slow it down would be nice. It seems way too sensitive. The slightest movements are very noticeable and kind of defeat the value of this gimbal mode imo. I don't have an example handy, but I'm sure others have experienced this as well.
I'm afraid it really is a case of practice, practice and then some more practice. There is absolutely no substitute for stick time.
The reason it can not be made more 'smooth' as you say is because of the way follow mode works. (All three axis follow mode gimbals are the same).
There is what's known as the 'deadband' which is usually a range of +/- 5degrees around center point. This deadband floats around the center to absorb lateral movements of the craft. You will see this if you lift up your Inspire when it's powered up and then turn it from side to side. This movement nullifies the undesired yawing when in flight and keeps the image stable around that axis.
However, the deadband must move when the user inputs a yaw command and this is where some clever mathematics goes on to decellerate the gimbal as it approaches its limits of the deadband. If this area was made wider or the reaction slower you would lose the ability of the gimbal to counteract lateral drift movements and any yaw input would be very sloppy to respond.
It is a fine balancing act of PID values to tune a gimbal to be as steady and at the same time responsive as the X3.
Hope that (sort of) helps.
Practice and then practice those feathered yaws some more!!!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa