Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

How much play in the motors is considered acceptable?

Reaction score
So I've got quite a few flights on our new Inspire and she's been rock solid. I'm getting an X5 kit together which hopefully will be shipped this week, so I wanted to do a once-over on everything to make sure the bird is in good condition before lifting our fancy new $3,000 camera.
Each of the motors has a very small, but noticeable amount of vertical play. I would say less than 1 mm, but it still goes up and down a noticeable amount. Is this normal or should they be tightened?
I'm still a bit nervous about my QR props (not the newest revision) as well... They should be fine, right?

oohh ok, my bird has zero play whatsoever in the motors, I couldn't say tho how much is acceptable.

all my motors have vertical lift in the motors when gripped by the sides.. never been an issue and motors all quiet when running... I think your looking too hard for faults/issues

As with any mechanical object there will be always a little movement.As for your QR just replace them if you don't trust them.It's not that big investment

Reactions: Hercules_One
Like when I grip the motors I can move them vertically up and down a small amount. They are not completely tight to the arms.
Not the best thing to do, lifting your Inspire by grabbing the motors anyway.Hope it was just a test to see how much play there was.:confused:

Not looking too hard for anything, I just know this was an issue over time for the Phantom 1 and 2 so before I mounted the X5 wanted to see if this was known to cause any problems at all.
And no, I am not lifting the Inspire by the motors.

Not looking too hard for anything, I just know this was an issue over time for the Phantom 1 and 2 so before I mounted the X5 wanted to see if this was known to cause any problems at all.
Allready thought so.Have fun with your X5

Reactions: gruvpix

My inspire has 100 hours flight time on her and still going strong... sure there is play.. but its been there since it was virtually new

Good luck with X5.. Im quite happy with the x3 performance still

So I've got quite a few flights on our new Inspire and she's been rock solid. I'm getting an X5 kit together which hopefully will be shipped this week, so I wanted to do a once-over on everything to make sure the bird is in good condition before lifting our fancy new $3,000 camera.
Each of the motors has a very small, but noticeable amount of vertical play. I would say less than 1 mm, but it still goes up and down a noticeable amount. Is this normal or should they be tightened?
I'm still a bit nervous about my QR props (not the newest revision) as well... They should be fine, right?

A very small amount of vertical play is normal - all my Inspire motors have it as well as a small amount of play at the T-Joints on the arms. The motors are held together with an e-clip with a thrust washer underneath with the shaft that runs through the bearings. What you are feeling is the play taken up where the thrust washer sits against the lower bearing. As long as there is no lateral play in the motors.... then you should start worrying :eek:

Reactions: gruvpix
A very small amount of vertical play is normal - all my Inspire motors have it as well as a small amount of play at the T-Joints on the arms. The motors are held together with an e-clip with a thrust washer underneath with the shaft that runs through the bearings. What you are feeling is the play taken up where the thrust washer sits against the lower bearing. As long as there is no lateral play in the motors.... then you should start worrying :eek:
Thank you for the mechanical description. I won't worry about it then!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669