Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

how smart is your TV? ?

My Xbox kinect has been watching and listening to me for years. I just accept it. Worst that could ever come of it is some weirdo in his basement watching me while breathing heavy. It is not usable info for anyone but weirdos. I am surprised more computer cams don't come with a manual sliding cover.

Not to scare anybody with some new conspiracy theory, but we should face the facts:

Any 'selfie' made with any mobile or internet connected device, will somehow reside for good, on some storage server, somewhere in some datacenter, in some country. It will never get deleted. Adding extra storage is often cheaper than software licenses for efficiency/de-duplication. Hard deleting is a feature that takes extra server performance, hence money. If you want stuff that is yours to be truly deleted, as an individual, forget it. It just stays there, for everybody to find (or stumble upon) in the future. In fact, thanks to search engines like Google, most data probably get copied thousands of times over thousands of servers and devices all over the world.

The same goes for any character you type in on a website. It will just be recorded there forever. Even if the site is gone or 'deleted', all the bits that made up anything you ever did on the web, will always be there. Google can find stuff that I typed many years ago on forums that don't exist anymore.

The idea a webcam is recorded might be scary, but believe me, you are not private anymore in all aspects of your daily live.

My TV ain't smart at all, look image.jpg the only time it communicates with me is when I get a puff of smoke from it, it's telling me it's busted.....:D

Reactions: Dallasfreak
Not to scare anybody with some new conspiracy theory, but we should face the facts:

Any 'selfie' made with any mobile or internet connected device, will somehow reside for good, on some storage server, somewhere in some datacenter, in some country. It will never get deleted. Adding extra storage is often cheaper than software licenses for efficiency/de-duplication. Hard deleting is a feature that takes extra server performance, hence money. If you want stuff that is yours to be truly deleted, as an individual, forget it. It just stays there, for everybody to find (or stumble upon) in the future. In fact, thanks to search engines like Google, most data probably get copied thousands of times over thousands of servers and devices all over the world.

The same goes for any character you type in on a website. It will just be recorded there forever. Even if the site is gone or 'deleted', all the bits that made up anything you ever did on the web, will always be there. Google can find stuff that I typed many years ago on forums that don't exist anymore.

The idea a webcam is recorded might be scary, but believe me, you are not private anymore in all aspects of your daily live.
These are not all facts, sorry. Selfies stay on the phone unless you have chosen to put them somewhere else like facebook, Instagram etc. True, auto upload to things like Dropbox will hang around. But if you don't use any cloud storage then it is limited to the device. Even with cloud storage there are ways of being more in control of the data.

I used to use the free 50gb of Dropbox you used to get with Samsung phones but that expires after the phone contract ends. Being Irish I didn't want to pay to keep it going. True, that storage may be around a while I am sure.

As I have my own dedicated server I now use OwnCloud which lives there. I am in full control of the the 2Tb of storage there. If I wanted I could format the HD and its backup HD if I ever wanted to end my lease. OK I know data can be be recovered by forensic people but how paranoid can you really be?

Life's to short to worry about this too much. Get out a bit more :)

These are not all facts, sorry. Selfies stay on the phone unless you have chosen to put them somewhere else like facebook, Instagram etc. True, auto upload to things like Dropbox will hang around. But if you don't use any cloud storage then it is limited to the device. Even with cloud storage there are ways of being more in control of the data.

I used to use the free 50gb of Dropbox you used to get with Samsung phones but that expires after the phone contract ends. Being Irish I didn't want to pay to keep it going. True, that storage may be around a while I am sure.

As I have my own dedicated server I now use OwnCloud which lives there. I am in full control of the the 2Tb of storage there. If I wanted I could format the HD and its backup HD if I ever wanted to end my lease. OK I know data can be be recovered by forensic people but how paranoid can you really be?

Life's to short to worry about this too much. Get out a bit more :)

Yes, I was thinking about the powerful forensic software and (Hadoop) systems I have advised and rolled out, (assisted by a int. team of highly skilled experts) to some clients in the recent past. You would be amazed what these systems can dig up after sniffing for a few days or weeks. But fortunately they need to be targeted to someone specifically.

Nothing to be paranoid about. And like I said, no conspiracy theory, just facts.

I'm going out now :)

just bought the Samsung 9500 SUHD 65in.....I went ahead and turned off the camera and the motion and voice activation ...I have the Xbox one for that...we should all know by now if they want to listen or watch us they will....My life not so much....lol

Reactions: turbodronepilot

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips