Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I got my 333!

Congrats! It is great to see people put in the work to become commercial ready. I hope this earns you priority status in the engagements you seek.

I would love to have the ability to get one. Yet, being a diabetic - I would never be able to achieve a 333 based on current requirements. :(

Thanks,
Mike

Hello!
It's been about a month since I received a receipt email from "FAA" since 7/24/2015 to be exact. Here is the return email I recieved from them on submitting my exemption....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Your comment was submitted successfully!

Comment Tracking Number: 1jz-8k60-2ll5

Your comment may be viewable on Regulations.gov once the agency has reviewed it. This process is dependent on agency public submission policies/procedures and processing times. Use your tracking number to find out the status of your comment.

Agency: Federal Aviation Administration (FAA)
Document Type: Nonrulemaking
Title: Instructions on Filing a Submission to FAA for applications/petitions/exemptions and any other items for which a Docket does not exist.
Document ID: FAA-2007-0001-0001
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

But I currently can't find it anywhere and don't know if I submitted it correctly. Is there anyway to tell or someone to reach out to? Thanks for any help....

I submitted mine on 7-23-2015 and have not seen mine posted yet, we are a day apart. I read a petitioner that was was just posted to the comment phase today submitted his July 1, 2015. So it could be a couple more weeks.

Congrats! It is great to see people put in the work to become commercial ready. I hope this earns you priority status in the engagements you seek.

I would love to have the ability to get one. Yet, being a diabetic - I would never be able to achieve a 333 based on current requirements. :(

Thanks,
Mike

What? There aren't any health requirements and sections related to the exemption request. At least not to my knowledge. As long as you can demonstrate you can fly the drone safely then its not going to be any issue. There was not one place in my whole exemption request that asked about my current health situation.

What? There aren't any health requirements and sections related to the exemption request. At least not to my knowledge. As long as you can demonstrate you can fly the drone safely then its not going to be any issue. There was not one place in my whole exemption request that asked about my current health situation.

At the very beginning - it said:
By law, any aircraft operation in the national airspace requires a certificated and registered aircraft, a licensed pilot, and operational approval. Section 333 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 (FMRA)(PDF) grants the Secretary of Transportation the authority to determine whether an airworthiness certificate is required for a UAS to operate safely in the National Airspace System (NAS).

"a licensed pilot"

Further:

What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate

See #4 - "a pilot with an FAA airman certificate"

A Pilot's License requires a health screening. As a Diabetic, I cannot obtain a pilot's license. There are a few diabetics out there who have (I have type 1) - but it is difficult and only a rare few have it. Do not be mistaken - if you don't have a Pilot's License - then you shouldn't / can't have a 333.

Do you have an FAA 8400-3?

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
At the very beginning - it said:

"a licensed pilot"

Further:

See #4 - "a pilot with an FAA airman certificate"

A Pilot's License requires a health screening. As a Diabetic, I cannot obtain a pilot's license. There are a few diabetics out there who have (I have type 1) - but it is difficult and only a rare few have it. Do not be mistaken - if you don't have a Pilot's License - then you shouldn't / can't have a 333.

Do you have an FAA 8400-3?

Thanks,
Mike

Read this https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/media/LSPBrochure.pdf a Sport Pilots License only requires a drivers license from the state you live in. Unless you know that you will not be able to operate a sport aircraft. This might be getting into a grey area.

Read this https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/sport_pilot/media/LSPBrochure.pdf a Sport Pilots License only requires a drivers license from the state you live in. Unless you know that you will not be able to operate a sport aircraft. This might be getting into a grey area.

Interesting. They changed the verbiage on the Sport. Here is straight from their FAQ:
Provided I otherwise qualify and have never sought FAA medical certification, am I authorized to exercise sport pilot privileges on the basis of a current and valid driver's license if I have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes?

Response by the Federal Air Surgeon
You should consult your private physician to determine whether you have a medical deficiency that would interfere with the safe performance of sport piloting duties. You may exercise sport pilot privileges provided you are in good health, your medical condition is under control, you adhere to your physician's recommended treatment, and you feel satisfied that you are able to conduct safe flight operations.

Based on these conditions to fly my Inspire 1 - my doctor would pass me!

I need to go back and do some more reading on this now. Around 7 months ago, there was a thread on RCGroups about this topic and the Medical component came up for the 333 / Sports license. The verbiage was different back then as I recall it, for everyone in the discussion topic was pretty set that a diabetic could not obtain a 333.

Thanks for the update.

Mike

Your letter will take about a week or so. The N number is a PIA because nobody does it!, therefore making it an endless circle of paperwork madness!!!

You will get your notification via mail. Then register an N number through the OKC office (this is a frustrating process).
Not frustrating at all. Fill out like this and it will go through every time.

Attachments

• Form Example-2.pdf
    120.3 KB · Views: 21
I have one more set of paperwork to send in.. For now, I am operating on my pink sheet 8050-1 form. ... I think it is taking so long and requiring so much redundant paperwork is because this is new to them, and everyone else.

Hey Capt., this looks different , (but similar) to the one I sent in. Then I got another letter requesting motor serial numbers, thrust, etc. to be notorized by the seller, and it's country of origin, blah,blah. What's the form number on this one, and who notorized it?

That is 8050-88 and it is what we were told to use by our FAA guy. We have filled it in just like that for all of our aircraft and not had a single issue. A standard notary motorized ours, in this case, my bank.

TC's are a ways away but they are coming under the broader 107 regs which will do away with the pilot license requirements and have a new 'UAS Operator' license. I liken it to my holding a Master Unlimited nautical license but I am going to be told I need a Jet Ski license as well. :mad:

Reactions: Highrpm955

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk