Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

I need DIY help for thermal camera options

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Help' started by takean, Nov 10, 2015.

1. takean

I'm currently looking to add a thermal camera to my Inspire Pro and have been for weeks looking around the net for ideas and options. I know there are expensive routes such as the Flir Vue, tou, etc. But I'm looking for cheaper alternatives until I can find a more permanent niche market around my area. I'm wanting to use it for SAR operations out in a state park near us as well as agricultural needs.

There may be more opportunities later for a need to have a more expensive camera but for now I don't want to invest in anything that won't be used much.

I have contemplated looking at the cheaper phone modules and wondering if anyone has used one and rigged up something to make it usable for using on a uas. Whether by using a raspberry or some other light-weight platform. Any DIY options out there that anyone knows about?

2. dellycem

For now there are some cheap Thermal Imager solutions as; Seek Thermal, Seek Thermal XR, Flir One, Flir One IOS.

Seen some people attaching Seek Thermal to Phantoms;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also own Seek Thermal XR myself, planning to attach to my Inspire soon with a gimbal stabilisation.

Check the video below to find out the aerial imaging with Seek Thermal;

3. takean

I'm curious as to how to get a live video feed that you can see...so that it can be used for search and rescue.

4. dellycem

These thermal imagers need an IOS or Android device to use, so it is possible with JB'ed or rooted devices, search for Screen Sharing, Mirror Screen over 3G/4G. Lots of software solutions around.

takean likes this.
  5. skylabimaging

the same way you would with any other fpv setup (besides DJI stuff)....analog 5.8ghz would be easiest and cheapest.

6. Kilrah

Except that none of those low cost thermal devices provide an analog video feed.

They also have a low resolution that wouldn't make them very useful for an SAR application either, but that's another problem.