Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I would like to see a Pro forum. And what about the rules?

that is a ground rule we all should respect. Always.
But I never asked for shutting up people. Nor should anyone be shut up who wants to give the advice to keep it legal and safe for the sake of the whole community and this industry sector as a whole.
I just don't want to get into a discussion I don't want, simply because I expected the poster to be a fellow bread and butter flyer but turns out to be a hobbyist. The discussions are pointless if it's not clear beforehand that we I have a totally different perspective.

I just wish there was a better word than hobbyist or amateur. There probably is. Pro isn't the right word as well. But with my crappy knowledge of english I just have to do with those. I was an amateur and a incredible hobbyist myself 'once' as well. Here me, I make it sound like ages.
If you don't want to be in a discussion you don't like then simply don't reply and unfollow the topic so you don't get notifications, unless I don't understand what you mean

I'm sure glad the early "hobbyists" didn't have this same mindset or you wouldn't be here having this discussion about trying to segregate yourself from them!

I'm sure glad the early "hobbyists" didn't have this same mindset or you wouldn't be here having this discussion about trying to segregate yourself from them!
Incredible, how my words get twisted, even when you can read everything and reread it, you still manage to turn things 180 degrees. Or are you replying to someone else perhaps?

It's no use. sigh....

Never mind, forget that I even mentioned it.

Well, it's clear that there's a lot of negative feeling about my idea.
Well, in my initial post I warned myself for it. My own fault. I had it coming.

The guys it was addressed to in the first place (I'm not calling anybody a Pro anymore, I wouldn't dare), don't even react in the open.

I was never cut out for politics. Sorry.

Before people start accusing me of starting a racial hate campagne, let's call it a day.
Moderator, it's fine with me to close this topic.

Well, it's clear that there's a lot of negative feeling about my idea.
Well, in my initial post I warned myself for it. My own fault. I had it coming.

The guys it was addressed to in the first place (I'm not calling anybody a Pro anymore, I wouldn't dare), don't even react in the open.

I was never cut out for politics. Sorry.

Before people start accusing me of starting a racial hate campagne, let's call it a day.
Moderator, it's fine with me to close this topic.

I think the part of your OP that said "And they would probably let us (not trying to be elite or anything) in peace" is what your are getting slack for.
I understand your intentions fully and completely but it seems an impossible task to interpret that statement other than your intention is to separate "pros" from others and therefore not having to deal with the normal stuff that occurs on forums.
Your only hope for a true pro forum is with a paid subscription based membership IMHO.

We have to drive on the road, go to school, eat in restaurants and participate in PUBLIC forums with all kinds of folks. A fact of life that will not be changing any time soon.

Well I see you got your own section of the forum.
I truly believe this forum just took a step backwards!
Maybe a black pilots section? Maybe a white pilots section?

Totally uncalled for comment!
This whole thing wreaks of elitism and maybe if you weren't a "pro" pilot you could see it and maybe there could have been a vote among the forum members.The original poster couldn't even ask you for this section without apologising for sounding elitest and he still says maybe then "they" will let "us" alone".
If you think separating the supposedly most experienced and professional flyers from the hobbyist is a good thing then good luck with that.
Was this decision made at your members only country club? ;)

This whole thing wreaks of elitism and maybe if you weren't a "pro" pilot you could see it and maybe there could have been a vote among the forum members.The original poster couldn't even ask you for this section without apologising for sounding elitest and he still says maybe then "they" will let "us" alone".
If you think separating the supposedly most experienced and professional flyers from the hobbyist is a good thing then good luck with that.
Was this decision made at your members only country club? ;)
Thank you for your comments, the majority of which I shall ignore.
However, if you would care to look at the New section you will see that it is open to all members whether they are qualified or not.
The caveat being it will be for commercial/certified issues that crop up from time to time which the hobbyists users will never come across or be concerned with.
A case in point is the latest thread on there regarding SRG1320 submissions and timeframes for PFAW.
How many hobbyists will ever be concerned with that type of issue/discussion?
It does not preclude individuals from reading, viewing or posting pertinent information or questions within the section.
Now can we put a stop to the uncalled for comments like the one above?

Thank You.

Are you trying to put us moderators into an early grave :p

Think we discussed this before - I'm up for it, but I would not want it to deteriorate into a 'them and us' sectional divide etc. It would need careful thinking about/moderation.

Speaking as a moderator on a professional sUAV/sRPA forum (forum.freeflysystems.com), two of the rules we put in place at the outset (about three years ago) is that everyone uses their real first and last name and the forum is searchable by Google. This appears to have had two effects: 1) the complete absence of "flame wars" between forum members, and 2) people operating illegally are treated to peer pressure either not to do it, or not to post about it.

I say "appears to have had two effects" because it is hard to separate coincidence from causality. Maybe everyone would have been polite to each other without using their real names. Who knows? :)

But I'm all in favor of a professional forum.

I take Editor's point though -- would it create a "them" and "us" schism? Yes. It would. But that's a natural consequence of being an operator that flies for a living and an operator that flies for hobby and recreation. The schism is already there.

EDIT: I just realized that I did not make my point fully: "Schism" might be too strong a word for it. "Natural divide based on different priorities" might be a more appropriate phrase.

And it's worth pointing out that those who fly for a living couldn't do so had it not been for those who flew for hobby and recreation and blazed the trail in the sky for us to be able fly for a living. So I would suggest that hobbyists are not the enemy of the professional -- they're the pioneers. :)

Andy.

Last edited:
Just fyi, food for thought...the recently released FAA documents released under the freedom of information act show a significant number of reports to the FAA about drone usage, misuse and unregistered commercial use were from......wait for it....

You.

Well, not you guys specifically, but other operators dropping the dime on fellow operators were a significant source of complaints / calls to the FAA in 2015.

I guess that's one way to keep the competition in check.

Just food for thought. Maybe we should all be "hobbyists" here :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Chnjab
That's the problem when one group thinks they are better than the rest! They don't mind making negative reports to the FAA which could lead to the banning of fpv flights by hobbyists. As a matter of fact I would be willing to wager a large bet that the majority of the commercial "pro" pilots would welcome it!
Everyone needs to remember how they got to where they are today! We all need to stick together as it will be sooner than we think when we all have to fight for a bit of the sky once amazon,ups,fedex and the like want ALL of us banned from flying!

That's the problem when one group thinks they are better than the rest! They don't mind making negative reports to the FAA which could lead to the banning of fpv flights by hobbyists. As a matter of fact I would be willing to wager a large bet that the majority of the commercial "pro" pilots would welcome it!
Everyone needs to remember how they got to where they are today! We all need to stick together as it will be sooner than we think when we all have to fight for a bit of the sky once amazon,ups,fedex and the like want ALL of us banned from flying!

And yet another complot theory in the making.
If you think you're helping the community this way, think again. This is completely ridiculous.
I can't even laugh about it.
Makes me sad actually and realise again how much I love dogs.

Well, my dog told me to say thank you. He just got an extra chewy :)

I can only hope you see the humour in that. I do. But hey, I'm just trying to be an honest non political guy. I feel sorry for the obvious negative vibes that my post has caused you. And maybe I did put the words wrong.
Maybe I just did it again.

Last edited:
And yet another complot theory in the making.
If you think you're helping the community this way, think again. This is completely ridiculous.
I can't even laugh about it.
Makes me sad actually and realise again how much I love dogs.

Well, my dog told me to say thank you. He just got an extra chewy :)

I can only hope you see the humour in that. I do. But hey, I'm just trying to be an honest non political guy. I feel sorry for the obvious negative vibes that my post has caused you. And maybe I did put the words wrong.
Maybe I just did it again.
Hey lake _flyer...
I think many of us misinterpreted your original post...
after chatting with you I've come to the conclusion that you're a drone enthusiasts that just wanted a place to put information pertaining to commercial operations..
Im good with it and see it can be a good addition to our forum. .
turbo....

I think the part of your OP that said "And they would probably let us (not trying to be elite or anything) in peace" is what your are getting slack for.
I understand your intentions fully and completely but it seems an impossible task to interpret that statement other than your intention is to separate "pros" from others and therefore not having to deal with the normal stuff that occurs on forums.
Your only hope for a true pro forum is with a paid subscription based membership IMHO.

We have to drive on the road, go to school, eat in restaurants and participate in PUBLIC forums with all kinds of folks. A fact of life that will not be changing any time soon.

Thanks, and yes, my words were not chosen too carefully enough I guess. I realise by now that my English is too insufficient to convey what I truly mean. And that words once typed get a whole different meaning depending on the perception and the culture of the reader. In dutch at least we have thousands of words less (really, its a very small language, hate that, not great for lyrics writing) than you anglo speaking guys, which means usually that dutch people can only say or understand things in only about 3 or 4 different ways, making it a lot simpler.
Making us a very blunt kind of folk.
LOL

I never hoped for a true pro forum, ever, at least that is clear in all my posts. Just wanted the section, open for everybody, that's all I asked for.

But your points are clear and respected.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Hey lake _flyer...
I think many of us misinterpreted your original post...
after chatting with you I've come to the conclusion that you're a drone enthusiasts that just wanted a place to put information pertaining to commercial operations..
Im good with it and see it can be a good addition to our forum. .
turbo....
Thanks Turbo!

I mean it. This is really cool.

Reactions: turbodronepilot
Thanks again, and yes, my words were not chosen too carefully enough I guess. I realise by now that my English is too insufficient to convey what I truly mean. And that words once typed get a whole different meaning depending on the perception and the culture of the reader. In dutch at least we have thousands of words less (really, its a very small language, hate that, not great for lyrics writing) than you anglo speaking guys, which means usually that dutch people can only say or understand things in only about 3 or 4 different ways, making it a lot simpler.
Making us a very blunt kind of folk.
LOL

I never hoped for a true pro forum, ever, at least that is clear in all my posts. Just wanted the section, open for everybody, that's all I asked for.

But your points are clear and I totally agree.
No worries!! It's all good man..
I understand the language barrier and I'm impressed that you're able to communicate in English as I doubt I could ever speak dutch...
turb...

Reactions: lake_flyer
Yeah, a stand up comedian at least shows a smiling face while he totally drags his audience through the mud and they even love him for that.
Typing lines on a forum is a whole different game.
Have been on exclusively english speaking forums since the start of the web. But peoples skins are getting thinner by the year.

This is totally uncalled for. A form of segregation is all around you, yet you throw a tantrum when a perfectly good case is very well presented, discussed by the owners and approved.

There are drivers who drive cars and other drivers who drive articulated lorries. They both drive but they'll be talking about different things. Lorry drivers are no better drivers than many car drivers nor are they regarded as elitists.

Same goes for pilots of small manned aircraft compared to commercial airliner pilots, they both basically do the same thing but differently and their discussions would be different. A light aircraft might rate highly a pothole at his local strip, an airlinepilot would not be interested...differences, not that either is less important.

Certified UAV pilots actually have more restrictions in their mode of operation than (EDITED to) 'non certified' pilots which is one of the points for having a suby.

There will always be always some overlap, naturally, that is why the suby is open to all to read and comment, but be prepared for a post to be moved if its not appropriate in that forum. Absolutely no different from what happens in any of the subforums accross phantompilots.com and inspirepilots.com.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jj2018