Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 Maiden Flight Very Freaky

Reaction score
Took new Inspire2 out this evening for maiden flight! Now I'm really confused!
--First some preliminaries. I just got this kit yesterday and did all of the FW updates, Geo fence update, and charged everything up. All indicators said that all updates were successful.
---I have no gimbal attached. (Should that matter?) [See note later]
---As soon as I power up the bird the FPV camera begins rolling from side to side, then up and down. It won't stay still.
---So, then I power on the RC. First thing, a message comes up that GO4 won't open because tablet is not connected to the internet. (Ipad Mini 2 16gb, no cellular) So, I set my Phone's internet hotspot up. (Samsung galaxy6) And connect the Ipad to it.
---Then message comes asking me if I want to open the app through the APP store. I clicked yes. Finally GO4 opens to display commercial then goes to this:
a1.jpg
---Will this pop up every time I fly? (That sux!)
So, I click 'I agree' which brings this up:
a2.jpg
---The dreaded red triangle ! warning sign.
I touch it and this comes up:
a3.jpg
---So, I did what it said and re-started to go through the whole routine again.
So, this time, I toughed the white X in the center top of the screen to go past the warning.
This screen comes up:
a4.jpg
---Note the 45 degree tilt of the FPV camera. It is still twitching all around.
I launch the bird and go up about 15 feet and hover. FPV camera still all over the place.
Landed after 2 minutes.

---The reason I flew without gimbal is that I ordered an X4S which arrived at the same time as the I2, but during the 4 days it took to arrive I realized that I would not be satisfied with it and decided to send it back and upgrade to the X5S right away.

---I went through this when I got my Inspire 1. I started with the X3 and within a week upgraded to the X5 and sold the X3 used on eBay (At a loss, of course).

So, I guess the 2 big questions I have are:
1) Can't the I2 be flown without a gimbal?
2) Is it the lack of a gimbal that made the FPV camera act oddly?
3) According to the manual, holding C2 and rotating the left wheel changes the pitch of the FPV. This is not happening. (Probably b/c the camera is jerking all around.

1) Can't the I2 be flown without a gimbal?
Yes, i flew mine that way a few days before my camera arrived.
2) Is it the lack of a gimbal that made the FPV camera act oddly?
Probably not , mine worked correctly without
3) According to the manual, holding C2 and rotating the left wheel changes the pitch of the FPV. This is not happening. (Probably b/c the camera is jerking all around.
i thought that was with the X5S/X4S,you can set the C1 or C2 button to point it up or down if you set it up the shortcut in the app.

if you're having the issue with the FPV camera acting oddly, you might try to reload the firmware with DJI Assistant2 and a PC or Mac.

Reactions: 7jay7
Is the Inspire 2 moving around or stable? Was there strong winds?
The FPV camera will only tilt up and down not side to side by default. Maybe the FPV camera mount is detached or broken.

I flew my maiden flights without the camera. The thinking was if the AC had a defect and crashed, or by pilot error, why ruin a $1500 camera in the process. The FPV camera takes a little getting used to since it shows banking for wind correction and turns. Sort of confusing coming from the single camera view of the Phantom.

I'm just about to get over the sweaty palms of flying it. Just need a little more stick time on it.

Is the Inspire 2 moving around or stable? Was there strong winds?
The FPV camera will only tilt up and down not side to side by default. Maybe the FPV camera mount is detached or broken.
Mine keeps rolling and tilting. See:
Nothing appears broken or damaged in any way. It moves very firmly and deliberately.

Thanks for posting the video of the FPV camera. That is not normal behavior. The only movement you can control is pitch (Up and Down) Roll is not controllable even though there must be some sort of motor mechanism in it. Mine on initial power up with pitch up then down and if the camera is not level with straighten itself. I tried a power up with the aircraft severely tilted on a bank and the camera tried to slowly even up the horizon.

Do you have a PC where you can run DJI Assistant and reapply the firmware to the aircraft?

Did you do all the calibration steps? Compass, IMU etc?

I'm thinking you may have a flawed bird. But I would try the DJI Assistant reload first before contacting DJI Support.

Where did you get it from? Maybe show the last video to the seller and maybe they will arrange a swap.

I have tried:
Reinstalling GO4 on ipad.
Reinstalled DJI assistant on computer.
Refreshed FW on AC
Downgraded FW on AC
Reinstalled FW on AC
Updating with remote control through GO4
Updating through DJI assistant connecting AC to computer
IMU Calibration
Compass Calibration
Tried to re-link RC and now that won't work

Last edited:
The air encoder error is definitely due to the fact that there is no gimbal attached. Once you attach your X5S this will go away.
Does this account for the erratic behavior of the FPV camera?
As I understand, you should be able to fly without a gimbal.
Also, the picture from the FPV is lousy.

Reactions: Cruncher
No, unfortunately it doesn't account for the fpv cam behaviour. You can fly without the gimbal attached, but it does whinge about it to the tune of the "air encoder" error you're seeing.

Did you notice if the fpv cam did this from the start, or only after the firmware update? From the look of your video, I think it's not working properly and you may need to contact the supplier and get it swapped out for another unit :(

Agreed!
I didn't rush into this purchase and have been planning (and saving) for several months. I thought about buying it direct, but have read plenty of posts about customer service rendered by Florida Drone and Advexure. The idea of buying direct was swiftly dismissed.
I can just imagine the torture of sitting on hold for 45 minutes only to talk with someone who would likely end up saying... "Send it in to our repair center". Then, how long would it take and would I get back the same unit???

Reactions: Fly Gary
Sounds like we all had the same idea of flying without the camera. I didn't have the issue with the fpv.

I had to do the firmware updates. Then calibrated the compass, and imu. At that point I had a gimbal error that said it was disconnected. Also the error on the encoder 0×100000. Reinstall go 4 app samething.

So I installed the camera again and put the sd card in and it all went away. The sd card slot is red when not installed. Once it was installed it turned green. I didn't do anything else to it since and it has work perfectly. I will take the camera off later and see what happens. Will let you all know my findings.

Forgot to ad the pics

5fc5ce5e23ae346553a847de78a22c23.jpg
abbe91aeddd851dc8652af5622dd7b57.jpg
cbd76453dcb94667f3786739102e85ad.jpg
0e3834960332bbb126a38f8c52fe76ea.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell