Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 Props! and controller Really...Still?

New I2 came yesterday, controller was not linked to the drone and would not link out of the box. Had to do a firmware update on the I2 and then the controller to get GO4 it to even look for it. Finally after the updates it found it and paired. Installed some props on the system and man! rattled like my first old Ford car I bought for $50 when I was a teen. 3 of the 4 motors rattled like a baby rattle. All props had foam inserts.

I added more foam from a T47 battery box I had and that did stopped it rattling but the props still moved up and down a tad when touching the blades. So I added a thin strip of electrical tape to the prop stud and with the additional foam and they are now firm with no movement or rattles. But come on man! Really? a $3k system you have to do this to???? Also noticed the controller buzzes like I'm beside an electrical power plant.

This stuff I could see on a $100 toy but WTF DJI...
Take it back. It's covered for 14 days. After that you are married to it and your only resource is DJI support.

Also noticed the controller buzzes like I'm beside an electrical power plant.

I also had a radio that buzzed when it warmed up. I don't know for sure but I suspect it's an internal fan to keep things cool. It didn't affect performance but bugged the hell out of me so I returned it for a replacement. This was brand new and well under warranty but I also have DJI Care. They wouldn't cross ship a working radio and wouldn't accept me dropping it off (I live fairly close to their SoCal location) so I had no choice but to send it UPS. To their credit, and much to my surprise, they actually sent me a prepaid shipping label. But I was without the radio for 3 weeks which totally pissed me off. I spoke to someone else who said that the 3 week turnaround time is what I should expect WITH DJI Care and if I didn't have it, it would have been longer. Total BS but when you're a company that literally has no competition you can do whatever the hell you want.

I also had a radio that buzzed when it warmed up. I don't know for sure but I suspect it's an internal fan to keep things cool. It didn't affect performance but bugged the hell out of me so I returned it for a replacement. This was brand new and well under warranty but I also have DJI Care. They wouldn't cross ship a working radio and wouldn't accept me dropping it off (I live fairly close to their SoCal location) so I had no choice but to send it UPS. To their credit, and much to my surprise, they actually sent me a prepaid shipping label. But I was without the radio for 3 weeks which totally pissed me off. I spoke to someone else who said that the 3 week turnaround time is what I should expect WITH DJI Care and if I didn't have it, it would have been longer. Total BS but when you're a company that literally has no competition you can do whatever the hell you want.
Yes there is a fan inside the new controller to help keep it cool. Something new for the I2 versus older remotes.

I very much doubt that the stresses are anything like those when flying big G manouvers
All the more reason to be concerned about it. These things don't happen in a vacuum; they're cumulative. It's additional torque on the airframe and it could add up to forces beyond what it's designed to withstand. Just because the shaking goes away after a second doesn't mean the force that caused it went away. That said, I feel confident that DJI designed the airframe to handle much more stress than it's possible for the the motors to apply (although repetitive stress over time adds up too--entropy happens to everything) but my point is that it would be foolish to disregard a force just because it might be possible for other, stronger forces to be applied. That's the very reason why one SHOULD consider the force. Personally, I find that video concerning. That seemed like quite a bit of torque (although I think some stabilization may have been applied to the video that made it look worse than it was--looked like a warp stabilizer effect). I haven't seen an I2 fly in person but my I1 with factory blades does not have any noticeable torque or shake to it when the props spin up (and it definitely doesn't slide around as someone suggested). I doubt if the I2 was intended to torque like this. I mean, it's probably fine but I don't think think I would buy these blades just to save the 15s it takes to attach the factory ones. Additional stress means additional wear and tear which means decreased operational life.

Also, the high-altitude/RPM warning that a couple people mentioned likely means that the blades aren't generating enough lift, probably because of the shape of the blade but maybe because something is slipping. Not a good sign either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viper Pilot
All the more reason to be concerned about it. These things don't happen in a vacuum; they're cumulative. It's additional torque on the airframe and it could add up to forces beyond what it's designed to withstand. Just because the shaking goes away after a second doesn't mean the force that caused it went away. That said, I feel confident that DJI designed the airframe to handle much more stress than it's possible for the the motors to apply (although repetitive stress over time adds up too--entropy happens to everything) but my point is that it would be foolish to disregard a force just because it might be possible for other, stronger forces to be applied. That's the very reason why one SHOULD consider the force. Personally, I find that video concerning. That seemed like quite a bit of torque (although I think some stabilization may have been applied to the video that made it look worse than it was--looked like a warp stabilizer effect). I haven't seen an I2 fly in person but my I1 with factory blades does not have any noticeable torque or shake to it when the props spin up (and it definitely doesn't slide around as someone suggested). I doubt if the I2 was intended to torque like this. I mean, it's probably fine but I don't think think I would buy these blades just to save the 15s it takes to attach the factory ones. Additional stress means additional wear and tear which means decreased operational life.

Also, the high-altitude/RPM warning that a couple people mentioned likely means that the blades aren't generating enough lift, probably because of the shape of the blade but maybe because something is slipping. Not a good sign either way.
Have you ever seen a m600 s900 s1000 they all have foldable props with no issues as does the mavic. You'll get a shutter with the stock ones if you watch it closely .
An its horseshit that they come with props that you need to jam foam in so they don't rattle for the money spent on it

No stabilization was used. I have about 15 hours on my folding props now and check the temps of the motor with an IR thermometer occasionally when I land. I would think that if there was additional torque that it would show up in the motor temps immediately after I landed and check them. We have had ambient air temps of 90- 93 degrees + here in South West Florida and the highest reading I have seen is 98.7 on the motors.

Last edited:

Actually its just the opposite. The amount of surface area the prop has along with the pitch allows these props to be used in both regular and high altitudes. In high altitudes the air is thinner and you add pitch to gain lift - attempting to gain back the performance that is lost to the thinner air. When the I2 gives someone the notice that it thinks they may be using the high altitude props, it is getting more thrust and lift at the RPM its spinning at than it is expecting with a standard prop...and assumes you have the high altitude props on.

Have you ever seen a m600 s900 s1000 they all have foldable props with no issues as does the mavic. You'll get a shutter with the stock ones if you watch it closely .
An its horseshit that they come with props that you need to jam foam in so they don't rattle for the money spent on it
No, I haven't seen any of those fly. Having to shim the props seems crazy. Maybe they'll release a 2.0 version that fixes it?

No stabilization was used. I have about 15 hours on my folding props now and check the temps of the motor with an IR thermometer occasionally when I land. I would think that if there was additional torque that it would show up in the motor temps immediately after I landed and check them. We have had ambient air temps of 90- 93 degrees + here in South West Florida and the highest reading I have seen is 98.7 on the motors.
It would probably take a good deal of extra torque before the temps in the motor would rise noticably. I wouldn't think the difference between those blades and stock could be that much, really. If that warping isn't from some video stabilization it does seem excessive though. Unless the stock blades do that too? My I1 doesn't do anything like that but maybe the I2 is just different?

Actually its just the opposite. The amount of surface area the prop has along with the pitch allows these props to be used in both regular and high altitudes. In high altitudes the air is thinner and you add pitch to gain lift - attempting to gain back the performance that is lost to the thinner air. When the I2 gives someone the notice that it thinks they may be using the high altitude props, it is getting more thrust and lift at the RPM its spinning at than it is expecting with a standard prop...and assumes you have the high altitude props on.
Ah, that makes sense. The high RPM bit got me thinking about spinning faster to make up for the thinner air but not doing that is exactly why you'd use high altitude props. The high RPM warning would have to be unrelated. So these blades are made to be used at high altitudes? That might explain the additional torque they seem to be applying to the airframe.

Last edited:
No, I haven't seen any of those fly. Having to shim the props seems crazy. Maybe they'll release a 2.0 version that fixes it?

It would probably take a good deal of extra torque before the temps in the motor would rise noticably. I wouldn't think the difference between those blades and stock could be that much, really. If that warping isn't from some video stabilization it does seem excessive though. Unless the stock blades do that too? My I1 doesn't do anything like that but maybe the I2 is just different?

Ah, that makes sense. The high RPM bit got me thinking about spinning faster to make up for the thinner air but not doing that is exactly why you'd use high altitude props. The high RPM warning would have to be unrelated. So these blades are made to be used at high altitudes? That might explain the additional torque they seem to be applying to the airframe.

This torque you mention; is it continuous or just the initial startup when the blades are extending? Considering DJI makes and sells drones with folding blades by now surely there would have been some significant discussions about the stresses exerted on the airframes. I'm not a structural engineer but I see this is a non-issue. Had I thought sooner I would have taken slow motion video of the original DJI props to see the startup events happening to the drone. It can be said that the folding props do cause a shudder but it is momentary.

This torque you mention; is it continuous or just the initial startup when the blades are extending? Considering DJI makes and sells drones with folding blades by now surely there would have been some significant discussions about the stresses exerted on the airframes. I'm not a structural engineer but I see this is a non-issue. Had I thought sooner I would have taken slow motion video of the original DJI props to see the startup events happening to the drone. It can be said that the folding props do cause a shudder but it is momentary.
I'm not a structural engineer either and I agree with you that it's probably a non-issue. I'm honestly not sure why I butted in. Sometimes I forget that if my opinion hasn't been asked for it's probably not wanted.

Without having drawn any force diagrams (which I haven't done since college and probably couldn't even do correctly anymore), I think the torque would be greater as the blades extended because as the radius increases so does the moment of inertia and this is happening as they accelerate. When the blades lock into place it would be greatest and the resulting torque reaction is probably what causes the shudder. If these are high-altitude blades with additional surface area and/or if they're heavier than the stock blades then the torque during operation will also be greater but it may be negligible. I feel very confident that the airframe can handle this stress in any particular instance. My biggest concern would be about long-term wear and tear. Additional stress means decreased lifespan so I think it would be especially important to thoroughly and routinely check the aircraft out when using them. Plus, additional moving parts means additional possible points of failure. The quick release blades from DJI go on and off so easily, at least on my I1, that having folding blades that stay on wouldn't save me more than 15-20s during deployment so the cost/benefit just doesn't seem to be there to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: deltalimatango
I'm not a structural engineer either and I agree with you that it's probably a non-issue. I'm honestly not sure why I butted in. Sometimes I forget that if my opinion hasn't been asked for it's probably not wanted.

Without having drawn any force diagrams (which I haven't done since college and probably couldn't even do correctly anymore), I think the torque would be greater as the blades extended because as the radius increases so does the moment of inertia. When the blades lock into place it would be greatest and the resulting torque reaction is probably what causes the shudder. If these are high-altitude blades with additional surface area and/or if they're heavier than the stock blades then the torque during operation will also be greater but it may be negligible. I feel very confident that the airframe can handle this stress in any particular instance. My biggest concern would be about long-term wear and tear. Additional stress means decreased lifespan so I think it would be especially important to thoroughly and routinely check the aircraft out when using them. Plus, additional moving parts means additional possible points of failure. The quick release blades from DJI go on and off so easily, at least on my I1, that having folding blades that stay on wouldn't save me more than 15-20s during deployment so the cost/benefit just doesn't seem to be there to me.

You bring up some really interesting points. No idea what will happen with these folding blades going forward. I do keep a check on the bolts fastening them to the bindings but as you eluded to, the stresses may cause additional torque. It would be interesting to see the different between a brand new drone and one that has flown with folding props after a few months.

Without having drawn any force diagrams (which I haven't done since college and probably couldn't even do correctly anymore), I think the torque would be greater as the blades extended because as the radius increases so does the moment of inertia and this is happening as they accelerate. When the blades lock into place it would be greatest and the resulting torque reaction is probably what causes the shudder. If these are high-altitude blades with additional surface area and/or if they're heavier than the stock blades then the torque during operation will also be greater but it may be negligible. I feel very confident that the airframe can handle this stress in any particular instance. My biggest concern would be about long-term wear and tear. Additional stress means decreased lifespan so I think it would be especially important to thoroughly and routinely check the aircraft out when using them. Plus, additional moving parts means additional possible points of failure. The quick release blades from DJI go on and off so easily, at least on my I1, that having folding blades that stay on wouldn't save me more than 15-20s during deployment so the cost/benefit just doesn't seem to be there to me.

I think you are way overthinking this. The copter shakes/vibrates because of an imbalance because the props are not in the perfect spot till all the motors spool up to their idle position. 2 seconds later there is no vibration. As for decreased lifespan, I will probably just replace my motors at a certain "time in service", lets say 200-300 hours of use and or replace the bearings. A new Inspire 3 will probably be out by then and I will most likely update. I purchased my Inspire 2 in January and now have 68 hours on it, the warranty expires at 100 hours or one year whichever comes first. I doubt I will make it to the end of this year and still be in warranty. I have the folding props because the DJI props are not good quality and have been plagued with issues stemming back to the original Inspire 1. My folding props are significantly quieter than the DJI QR props and the T-Motor fixed props. If I wasn't using the folding props I would still be using the T-Motor 15X5 props and the Helingadin adapters even though they take a few minutes to remove and install.

I think you are way overthinking this. The copter shakes/vibrates because of an imbalance because the props are not in the perfect spot till all the motors spool up to their idle position. 2 seconds later there is no vibration. As for decreased lifespan, I will probably just replace my motors at a certain "time in service", lets say 200-300 hours of use and or replace the bearings. A new Inspire 3 will probably be out by then and I will most likely update. I purchased my Inspire 2 in January and now have 68 hours on it, the warranty expires at 100 hours or one year whichever comes first. I doubt I will make it to the end of this year and still be in warranty. I have the folding props because the DJI props are not good quality and have been plagued with issues stemming back to the original Inspire 1. My folding props are significantly quieter than the DJI QR props and the T-Motor fixed props. If I wasn't using the folding props I would still be using the T-Motor 15X5 props and the Helingadin adapters even though they take a few minutes to remove and install.

Spot on. I bought my I2 for fun. I am not worried about it taking a swim. Just buy another one with the insurance money. Everything you stated I can completely agree with. I notice the I2 sort of leaps into action as opposed to being determined to get there. Others have complained of their speed being down but I got 102.4 kph and 10.8km yesterday. I am very pleased with the way the folding props are performing. Money well spent in my book. This is just my $.02

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont