Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

i3 insane height limit?

Reaction score
Screen Shot 2023-06-15 at 4.22.55 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-15 at 4.23.03 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-15 at 4.23.15 PM.png

does this mean that flying outside of the huge grey zones would allow you to go to 4922ft with the proper authorizations? (I understand how challenging those are to obtain, just curious if anyone knows if it's actually possible)

I would like to see the Inspire 3 actually flying those heights. Dollars to doughnuts, once you get onsite and fire up the drone, those limitations will change. DJI is sneaky. Don't trust anything you read from them or anything they tell you. Unfortunately, the only way to learn the truth about their products is to take it onsite, fire it up, and see it if will fly. Then test geofencing.

D

Last edited by a moderator:
This change was made a short while ago starting with the Mavic 3. Maybe other mavics- not sure about that. And it’s very useful. If you’re in a deep canyon, slot canyon, a cliff face or other unusual topography where the terrain extends high above your takeoff point this is a valuable feature. But it is part of the flysafe/geofence system so it’s only enabled in rural areas. Which is unfortunate since it would also be useful for urban canyons.

This change was made a short while ago starting with the Mavic 3. Maybe other mavics- not sure about that. And it’s very useful. If you’re in a deep canyon, slot canyon, a cliff face or other unusual topography where the terrain extends high above your takeoff point this is a valuable feature. But it is part of the flysafe/geofence system so it’s only enabled in rural areas. Which is unfortunate since it would also be useful for urban canyons.
This was exactly my thinking! I live near a lot of amazing mountains that I can only scale so far... this will be great!

In the USA it is doubtful that the FAA would approve anything higher than 400' AGL
thanks for your reply!
I personally know a few production companies that have spent the time+money to get authorization to fly above 400 ft.
It involved the FAA posting NOTAM's among other things.

I would like to see the Inspire 3 actually flying those heights. Dollars to doughnuts, once you get onsite and fire up the drone, those limitations will change. DJI is a sneaky m'r f'r. Don't trust anything you read from them or anything they tell you. Unfortunately, the only way to learn the truth about their products is to take it onsite, fire it up, and see it if will fly. Then test geofencing.

D
this is exactly my thinking! even with tons of research and time spent and LAANC approvals... I've still been barred from taking off in certain spaces

Doesn't DJI have altitude performance data anywhere? It seems pilots wanting to use them in mountainous terrain would need to know how they will perform in a range of density altitudes in locations around the world. I would imagine you would still be limited to 400' AGL but you could be standing on a 10,000' mountaintop. That data would is important.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stonecentreaus