Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 .. dji has a major issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
All true. Now that I have seen the second posting of another awful Octofilm 'film' (ha), you can CLEARLY see the gamble shake...again! They got problems with this bird, glad I got my deposit back...

Yes, the gimble shake was quite obvious in several videos. We need only look to the Osprey hybrid currently being flown in the military and follow the development path taken there.

I've seen the gimbal shake mentioned. I've also seen what appears to be very stable video from the Inspire 1. I can't remember if the shake I observed was when the Inspire 1 was powered up or not. Is it reasonable to assume that the gimbal shakes when not powered up and is stable when it is powered up? If that's the case maybe there isn't an issue . . .

The shake that occurs in videos of the Inspire flying is observed during transformation, when the arms are moving up or down. This could be caused by the action of the servo that turns a worm gear which moves the arms. Or it could be caused by the gyroscopic effect of the motor arms inducing a harmonic that shakes the gimbal. So yes, the gimbal shakes and the camera moves, but the video is stable, if not the camera itself.
DJI has acknowledged, as have several beta testers like @Tahoe_Ed and @bladestrike on other forums like RCGroups, that this occurs and that they are working to reduce or eliminate this in production units. None of the video that I have seen (and believe me, I've scoured the forums and YouTube/Vimeo) show any significant shaking in flight. That's not to say that there isn't jello, but that's caused by something other than shake, and isn't the issue discussed here.

I do not understand the significance of anything that effects the vehicle's mission during raising and lowering of the landing gear. Fighter aircraft do not launch missiles, strafe, or drop bombs while raising and lowering gear, flight attendants do not serve drinks while the gear is being raised or lowered, so why would one expect to be filming while raising and lowering the gear of the Inspire 1? Please enlighten me.

I do not understand the significance of anything that effects the vehicle's mission during raising and lowering of the landing gear.

I completely agree with you, subject to a few caveats.

First of all, the post that began this thread (from "insider") said nothing about the problem being connected to the raising and the lowering of the gear. His concerns had to do with unspecified but serious engineering problems related to the gimbal and the camera. So if ALL we're talking about is an unstable video image during raising/lowering of gear - that's no problem, and whoever is making a big deal about it is being silly. But that's not what the original post was necessarily saying.

With that said: my one concern would be if the shake we're seeing when the gear is raised and lowered is enough to cause fatiguing of any of the components. I'd hate to find out that after a few dozen raising/lowering cycles the gimbal or the mount or something else was getting damaged. I lack the engineering expertise to even have an opinion about that as a possibility, so it's the sort of thing I'd want someone with far more knowledge than I have to evaluate.

These are issues DJI can easily dispel by talking candidly with their user base.

Reactions: ultraturtle
Yeah, I don't get it either. Surely you take off, transform it to flight mode, get to the subject you want to film and start filming. When you're done, you fly back to the landing site, transform to landing mode and land. I can't think of any situation where I would be required to be filming while transforming.
It's not like when shooting a wedding with a normal ground camera, you complain that there are vibrations while attaching and removing your lighting rig. You set up the shot, take the shot, adjust and repeat.

Reactions: ultraturtle
I completely agree with you, subject to a few caveats.

First of all, the post that began this thread (from "insider") said nothing about the problem being connected to the raising and the lowering of the gear. His concerns had to do with unspecified but serious engineering problems related to the gimbal and the camera. So if ALL we're talking about is an unstable video image during raising/lowering of gear - that's no problem, and whoever is making a big deal about it is being silly. But that's not what the original post was necessarily saying.

With that said: my one concern would be if the shake we're seeing when the gear is raised and lowered is enough to cause fatiguing of any of the components. I'd hate to find out that after a few dozen raising/lowering cycles the gimbal or the mount or something else was getting damaged. I lack the engineering expertise to even have an opinion about that as a possibility, so it's the sort of thing I'd want someone with far more knowledge than I have to evaluate.

These are issues DJI can easily dispel by talking candidly with their user base.

Correct. The issue the way I understood it was more serious than just gimbal shake when the unit was in transformation. It was / is something to do with a much more worrisome engineering problem within the unit itself. The way it was explained that the issues that dji found that they were in a mad scramble to get a quick fix. Now a quick fix is acceptable if and only if its something that is dealt with 1000% and resolved beyond all measures. What the distributor was most worried about was that test units were shipped to testers and used for weeks prior to getting back the data that showed what these issues were. Now dji wont have time for proper testing of these initial units because the consumer is going to be the beta tester for every "quick fix" change made.

Look they can sugar coat and make everything seem like its all on track but do you really want to be the guy who is beta testing with a 3K unit. If something goes wrong then guess where you are left???? It is and should be very concerning to anyone who takes a plunge of faith with these initial units. I wish it were not like this but it is.

How is this obvious to you? Are you privy to some inside knowledge the rest of us do not have? If so, provide the proof that would convince us. If not, STFU!
The last part of your quote leaves me wondering how much you understand about video recording. Are you talking about frames per second, bit rate or what? And what about the Inspire 1 camera would lead you to make that claim?
Making unsubstantiated claims like that which reveal a lack of skill on a forum which is for passionate videographers/photographers is disappointing.
Since you seem to be more experienced than I then maybe you could take a look at the manual and see if the specs look right to you?
There is a warning video that mentions a few items,most of which are pretty lame,but I seem to remember there was an issue that was brought up that seems to point to a playback issue.
I do not know if it is an issue or is noticeable myself yet.
I do know that the Camera is not perfect but a step in the right direction.
I Do have inside info but can not share it.
The info just made me go ahead and order knowing it was not perfect but was worth taking a chance on.
I am sorry if I set you off..but there is no need for that response.
We will all have plenty of answers in a month or so and I look forward to learning more from those here who are more technically knowledgeable than l.

Look they can sugar coat and make everything seem like its all on track but do you really want to be the guy who is beta testing with a 3K unit. If something goes wrong then guess where you are left???? It is and should be very concerning to anyone who takes a plunge of faith with these initial units. I wish it were not like this but it is.

If being a beta tester is truly your concern, basic research will verify that DJI has a long history of tweaking products midstream without changing model numbers or providing any type of retrofit kit. That's the downside of riding the opening wave of technology. The alternative is building your own multirotor. DJI is first to market with a fully integrated packaged system, so there are definitely some growing pains. If you want a bit more certainty and stability, go now with the (recently tweaked) p2v+ and wait until the Inspire has been on the market for a few months, at least.

Reactions: catware and xybe
Dong trust everything you read on the Internet - including what Insider is stating.

I hate to break it to all who want to call names and make character assassination but everything I have stated is 100% valid and comes from a source with absolutely no reason to to make this stuff up and has impeccable business and personal ethics.

Whats so hard to believe about dji having issues with the hardware on this unit? All i have stated is truth and that if you as a consumer chooses to be one of the beta testers of their initial roll out be my guest, it is your money on the line after all. Those of us who will choose to wait a while before jumping in I would say that is a smart move.

time will tell.

Due to the childish name calling and obvious lack of respect on this forum i will no longer post any further.

thank you.

To be honest I didn't see childish name calling. I just saw a healthy skepticism since neither you nor the dealer are identified. It doesn't mean you're lying - but then again you or your information source could be employed by a competitor. Since there is no way to know, it would be nice if DJI would respond on the record.

Reactions: ctp
Insider, I think the issue is that your assertions about Inspire's problems were very vague ("much more worrisome engineering problem", "mad scramble", what does that mean really?), yet you hammered on them pretty confidently ("DJI won't have time to do proper testing", you're all going to be beta testers!?). These are pretty serious conclusions to disseminate in this forum with no meaningful information about the problem DJI is really facing. I'm sorry, but this is pretty much what "trolling" is, whether that was your intent or not.

Having worked in the high tech industry for nearly 20 years, let me humbly give you some insight on these consumer electronics/computers/gadgets that we all love and buy. None of them, whether they're hardware, software or more likely both, are finished products - not a single one. They are snapshots of some point in their development cycle that represent the best compromise in user experience, build quality, performance, cost, time-to-market, etc... There are always "bugs" that remain, defects in functionality and performance, but most of the time they are too insignificant for end users to notice in the final product, and that's the way it's meant to be.

So the fact that DJI encountered an unforeseen problem with their Inspire is no surprise to me. It is a fairly complex piece of hardware and software. Sure, it's disappointing to have to wait longer to get our units. Sure, DJI probably jumped the gun in launching and announcing the availability of Inspire 1. Maybe they were under pressure to respond to 3DRobotics' Iris+ and X8+, I don't know. But they'll fix their issues, and they'll get to that nice compromise in user experience and quality we all want, and I highly doubt we'll have any serious issues with our "early production" units.

For what it's worth, my retailer told me today he spoke to DJI earlier in the week and was told that they are assembling as we speak the first batch of units to ship out to top resellers. Make of it what you will, but it looks like some of us will see an Inspire before New Year's.

Last edited:
Reactions: ctp and catware
Cacou, you're spot-on. I work for a major reseller here in the States and our team prides ourselves on service and answering questions honestly. Like you I've spent a lot of time in manufacturing... from component level to PR. DJI had an issue with the lens that was discovered by beta testers of the preproduction units. If you've never worked in our industry let it be known that surprises can happen at any point in the production process. Like many manufacturers, DJI divides the build between mulitple partners; each with there own expertise and quality standards that are meant to match OEM guidelines.
Everyone should be glad they have halted the shipments to open the boxes and correct an arisen fault. I preordered my unit the day we heard of the "Triumph" and I am more than happy to wait for a unit DJI is proud to ship.
We let our customers in on any info that comes down from HQ, the moment it arrives. We also provide a level of service back to the manufacturer that is honored with trust and steers away from hyping or speculation. Neither serves the customer very well, and I find that a lot of dealers are quick to make assertions on social media when they have very little fact to work on.
Such things infuriate (current and potential) customers and make product launches very difficult. The scrutiny associated with a lone manufacturer where the competition is nearly non-existent is wrought with a lot of farse-based slander on these kinds of forums. Be kind and be patient... unless you want another Windows Vista ;)

Reactions: ctp
DJI is well know for announcing a product then taking their sweet time delivering. I will likely purchase an Inspire but not until it is readily available and reviews are not censored.

Eric cheng from Dji said the inspire is not crash friendly $$$$$$$$

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Neither is the s900, s1000 or any other large multi rotor. The Inspire assumes that the pilot have a certain level of skill in flying it. This is not a starter drone.

Reactions: Bjorn Thore
I didn't say it was a starter drone an s8 or 9 you can change parts pretty easy this not so

i may not be a newbie pilot,but i have had a p-2 hit the water due to g.p.s. loss and had dji tell me to go buy a new one.
my concern is yet another design issue that causes a fly away etc. i must admit i wish this was designed to be easily and cheaply repairable. it looks like it would be toast if it fell from more than about 6 ft. to me.
i am considering adding a chute to mine..but not sure with the design how it would work and how it would mount. the battery takes up a lot of the upper portion of the bird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin