Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 mapping apps ?

GCP's when it's for work because it must be survey grade and be verifiable by a licensed surveyor (in house). Yes, the fixed wing is for large properties (landfills/quarries, etc).
Yes, on the multi-battery missions. I did one last week that was 4 batteries. It would have been 2-3 if not for the winds. I once did a 12 battery map that covered 744 acres (M100). (Loooong day!)
I'd share examples but can't due to agreements with clients. (aka, I'd like to keep my job)

Thanks for the reply,

With the GCP, do you have a ground marker which you then survey with a GPS rover type instrument. Number of GCP to suit the size of the survey

Understand about the data confidentiality, I am just trying to learn a little about mapping larger sites with he Inspire 1 and the x5, using maps made easy. I am not sure how it records where each part of the mission ends and then when you relaunch, how it knows where to restart from

What is your fixed wing craft

Thanks

We built our own GCP's and shoot it with a survey precise GPS stick. The number varies depending on the elevation changes throughout the property. The most we have used was 11, over a 3 square mile area.
As far as MME, trust the app. It drops a marker when it RTH for a fresh battery. Have you tried it yet?

Yes, tried the app in a small mission over some ruins, it worked fine and the output from MME was very good. Have as school to survey next week, will try the app for that. Probably will be a 2 battery mission.

How do you deal with flying over sites with buildings near by, not under your control. Here in the uk anything within 50m of the flight path have to be notified and given the chance to object.

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated

Actually - you can apply to CAA for a one off permission to reduce the distance from other buildings.
I fly with a company that has a blanket 30m allowance - and they are going for 10m.

You just need to show a case study and then apply - allowing 3 weeks for turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50m rule applies as you said, no way round it. Basiclly CAP722 needs full compliance if your commercial PL insurance is to cover your job. I am assuming you have a PFAW.
Hi there, MultiRotR is in the USA, just interested in the rules he has to comply with when mapping large sites. To use MME in the UK over a large area, with lots of buildings in close proximity, will be time consuming to insure full compliance the regs.

Actually - you can apply to CAA for a one off permission to reduce the distance from other buildings.
I fly with a company that has a blanket 30m allowance - and they are going for 10m.

You just need to show a case study and then apply - allowing 3 weeks for turnaround.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi there, Thanks for the advice, I am newly qualified with PFAW, so not sure I would get that , without proof of a few more jobs under my belt. but worth considering, as the 50m rule is quite a challenge to ensure compliance.

Hi there, Thanks for the advice, I am newly qualified with PFAW, so not sure I would get that , without proof of a few more jobs under my belt. but worth considering, as the 50m rule is quite a challenge to ensure compliance.
Hi there, been looking to the CAA process for reduced distances, seems you just fill in a form with the necessary backup, flight plan etc and send it in and agree to pay hourly fee. We have a school construction we want to document, bi weekly fight for approx 10min per flight but within 15m of houses on one side. Any advise you could give on making the application

Anyone aware of any mapping apps for the Inspire that allow the user to define the speed and grid spacing of the mission? Not looking for percentage values but for numerical.

For example, I want to be able to set the speed to say 5m/s and have the distance between each flight line at 15m or so.

Last edited:
Hi All - new here but jumped straight in and ordered a new Inspire 1 Pro for mapping. I have had good results with Phantom 4, drone 2 map and Agisoft, and thought Id upgrade for the X5 lens. I decided for the Pro over Raw as dont need bit-rate for video - but want the quality for lens - hope i made the right call??? Is the stock 15mm lens any good or would i be better getting the 12mm Olympus or 40mm Olympus lens (or both) for detailed work?

I also assume that the <1inch/px resolution I'm getting is not too bad. If I want to get survery grade, I assume that the purchased Trimble Geo 6000 CM edition with no VRS but post processing with Pathfinder Office and a series of 5 to 10 GCPs will suffice ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla