Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1, my pain as it flew away

DJI only seem to be as good as the software, and they still have inherent software issues which have lingered from the first Naza controller..

My advice to anyone - The moment any DJI product does something you didn't tell it to, GTFO of GPS mode asap...

I still choose to fly DJI gear because I have faith in the devil I know, rather than the devil I don't. Touch wood I never lose a prop or motor, because to end the life of an Inspire1, requires only one of these to fail...

Reactions: turbodronepilot
I edited this last post to remove my last rant.

DJI approved the inspire to be replaced with a new one, issue solved.

Last edited:
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Maby some sort of enviromental interference but nothing that is warned about in the manual. So no definite answer means the only option was replacement.

To all those with similar issues, keep fighting if DJI does not give proper compensaation. For me they suggested 50% repair, full repair and then replacement when i pushed hard enough. Knowing your laws and rights help and the fact companies like this dont want negative publicity.

Hey Turbo,

We all know there are many things that can affect the GPS on DJI craft. Its not a new thing, and can be brought on by a number of issues. I have no doubts fly aways will continue to happen and thats where pilot experience is beneficial...

Over the last 4 years, I have had several fly aways - mostly Naza M V2 and one Wookong M flight controllers. All have been recoverable switching to ATTi (or manual).. The problem with amateur drone pilots these days is that they get it in their heads that flying GPS mode seemingly eliminates the need for advanced piloting skills. I guarantee probably 98% of pilots flying DJI equipment would have issues flying a craft like this without all the cheats enabled..

I fly mini quad racers and 3D Helis all without assists (other than gyro). Its training like this that saves $$$$ when the situation gets out of hand - especially when someone can be seriously hurt.

Food for thought, GPS mode (God Mode) is awesome, but its the devil when **** hits the fan...
This is all true. I started on Helis....so my flying skills are pretty good. I can maintain a heli in flight. I then purchased a blade nano to see what quadcopter flying was like. I then got the phantom. After 80 flights. I got the inspire. The truth is, shift to atti mode and retain control. That's why line of site is so important. I can fly atti mode as long as FPV is present. If I loose line of site. So best bet if anyone experiences erratic behavior is to land immediately if you can, if not shift to atti mode and bring it in. I've since returned by inspire for a refund for electrical problems. DJI customer support ruined it for me, so I'm going to sit the inspire out until both customer support improves and there's been refinement of product.

Reactions: From Rent to Drone
the inspire needs manual mode it can help a lot, it will also make flights way more smooth.

also please stop the BS about naza's and other dji products fly aways, that is not a DJI issue it happens with every **** controller out there no matter the price. there are several environmental conditions that could trigger a fly away its not only caused by software issues.

the inspire needs manual mode it can help a lot, it will also make flights way more smooth.

also please stop the BS about naza's and other dji products fly aways, that is not a DJI issue it happens with every **** controller out there no matter the price. there are several environmental conditions that could trigger a fly away its not only caused by software issues.

Luis Morales, I wish it was just one thing or another that we could all keep an eye on and prepare for. It is multiple issues and poor service that makes it bad. If DJI made all of the people who had issues whole without questions, there would be less headscratching and more confidence in the platform. People who don't know are left to speculate what the problem is...

Luis Morales, I wish it was just one thing or another that we could all keep an eye on and prepare for. It is multiple issues and poor service that makes it bad. If DJI made all of the people who had issues whole without questions, there would be less headscratching and more confidence in the platform. People who don't know are left to speculate what the problem is...

there is no foundation in what your saying, even in very open platforms like APM with a myriad of logs and you will end up with the same, just some people conjectures of what may have happened but no real answers.

most people agree on 3 different causes all very avoidable,

1. Interference (a lot of people with fly aways used video Tx of 1.2ghz most of them are now to either interfere with the harmonics of the gps band or spew noise in the gps band)
2. bad gps lock, start flying without letting the gps do a lock (some times letting the gps warm up is a good idea (10 mins))
3. KP index, most people don't even look at it, a kp index of more than 4/5 is already dangerous gps coords can very a lot (in the range of kilometers)

i haven't seem any flight controller out there that talks about this or prepares anyone for this kind of issues so far i used (apm, pixhawk, naza, wkm, a2, inspire1, mikrokopter, zero uav) i had the chance to fly with all of them, and i seem or heard of flyaways with all of them.

we just need to be careful of the conditions we fly in and be prepared to avoid them.

P.S
i'm not saying there may not be software problems but i find hard to believe that their the ONLY cause for flyaways, also if it was a software problem fly aways will be way way way more common than they are.

P.S2

sorry if that sounded a bit aggressive but that is one of those urban legends with no data behind thats been wide spreaded a lot, dji does a lot of very nice things but as always the bad is what it stays and resounds around the internet.

there is no foundation in what your saying, even in very open platforms like APM with a myriad of logs and you will end up with the same, just some people conjectures of what may have happened but no real answers.

most people agree on 3 different causes all very avoidable,

1. Interference (a lot of people with fly aways used video Tx of 1.2ghz most of them are now to either interfere with the harmonics of the gps band or spew noise in the gps band)
2. bad gps lock, start flying without letting the gps do a lock (some times letting the gps warm up is a good idea (10 mins))
3. KP index, most people don't even look at it, a kp index of more than 4/5 is already dangerous gps coords can very a lot (in the range of kilometers)

i haven't seem any flight controller out there that talks about this or prepares anyone for this kind of issues so far i used (apm, pixhawk, naza, wkm, a2, inspire1, mikrokopter, zero uav) i had the chance to fly with all of them, and i seem or heard of flyaways with all of them.

we just need to be careful of the conditions we fly in and be prepared to avoid them.

P.S
i'm not saying there may not be software problems but i find hard to believe that their the ONLY cause for flyaways, also if it was a software problem fly aways will be way way way more common than they are.

Luis Morales, none of what you are saying is false. There are tons of new users who have never flown RC before and plunk down tons of money and expect a level of reliability. There are other users who have flown RC and they think more money=more reliability. Is it the community's job to educate them before they assume such a huge financial risk, or should they just know better?

Luis Morales, none of what you are saying is false. There are tons of new users who have never flown RC before and plunk down tons of money and expect a level of reliability. There are other users who have flown RC and they think more money=more reliability. Is it the community's job to educate them before they assume such a huge financial risk, or should they just know better?

more money has never meant more reliability in any product line. the community is not here to educate as a job but as a help, its the user responsibility ti know and educate itself. really if your going to put 3k/4k or even 10k in a more professional platform at least talking for me i would do my due diligence and inform myself of everything i can.

when i order my inspire, i read so much and saw so many videos , that when i got i was very familiar with it, and the first flight never felt like a first flight.

but my point is not that people should not know, is that blaming a company and claiming software issues its just not true.

blaming a company and claiming software issues its just not true.
Certainly there are many more crashes that are attributable to operator error that there are firmware issues. But the firmware issues certainly exist: In the battery sleep mode for starters, and there have been a handful of well documented events that seem to, at a minimum have a simultaneous failure of control signal connection and failure of the GPS RTH.

I was one that thought that a more expensive quad would be more reliable than a cheap one. There is eventually a price point that generates truly reliable, fault tolerant GPS performance, but that, as you correctly pointed out is currently beyond all of today's quad manufacturers.

The vast majority of participants here are DJI enthusiasts. But since the topic here is DJI Inspires, and since a flight that works flawlessly needs no explanation, it is inevitable that many of the posts here revolve around failure of either the operator or the equipment. But we have already "voted with our $" and chosen DJI.

Last edited:
So, i got the promised replacemnt, happy with that.
But there's an issue with the gimbal, it makes a noise it really shouldn't:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6m48rjeSTAqZVhkZHpMeXBLSFE
Any guess what causes this?

Also at first startup last night i got this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6m48rjeSTAqclJpc1lQRm9ISGs

But that was sorted out with removing and reattaching the gimbal

I voted with my € and got a Yuneec Q500 4k aswell and no issues with that so far, much less hassle than with the inspire.

So, i got the promised replacemnt, happy with that.
But there's an issue with the gimbal, it makes a noise it really shouldn't:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6m48rjeSTAqZVhkZHpMeXBLSFE
Any guess what causes this?

Also at first startup last night i got this:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6m48rjeSTAqclJpc1lQRm9ISGs

But that was sorted out with removing and reattaching the gimbal

I voted with my € and got a Yuneec Q500 4k aswell and no issues with that so far, much less hassle than with the inspire.
The first noise is the update or calibration tone. I would make sure all firmware is up to date and then calibrate the gimbal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan