Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Inspire 1 NFZ hack needed....

I have an Air 2. And I think perhaps litchi doesn't require the processing that autopilot does.

Autopilot is hugely versatile and programmable, which comes at a processing price...that's for sure. I originally purchased the Air 1 over the Air 2 because the screen was 9% brighter and the battery lasts longer. The Air 1 has more than enough processor for the Go app, which runs seamlessly on the Air 1. And because the Ground Station app uses DJI SDK's, it also runs perfectly on the Air 1. Autopilot runs well, but DOES occasionally glitch, which usually means restarting the mission. Last time I used it (3 days ago), the app just closed. The bird was flying and it just stopped. I looked at the iPad and it was on the Desktop environment. Maddening.

try ro use NFZ mod from Coptersafe.com - it is not a hack - but in any cases may by useful.

Wow, not sure I'd risk my 333 exemption (or 107) letting a free app fly my drone near an airport. And I'd be highly surprised you get FAA Approval for autonomous flight in controlled airspace. Not to mention you'd be hacking the software. I'm just imagining what lawyer would take that case when something goes wrong.

I'm not sure this would be 'legal'.. FAA is pretty strict about autonomous flight in controlled airspace. If you have a BVLOS waiver, that's not enough. You would need BVLOS within controlled airspace (if there is such a thing). It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.. :(

I'm not sure this would be 'legal'.. FAA is pretty strict about autonomous flight in controlled airspace. If you have a BVLOS waiver, that's not enough. You would need BVLOS within controlled airspace (if there is such a thing). It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.. :(

BVLOS and autonomous flight in VLOS (with the ability of the PIC to immediately override in an emergency) are two different things. I'm going to presume the OP has the proper airspace waiver and it probably stipulates they be in contact with the tower and/or ground during operations since they're on airport property itself. This exact sort of operation was actually performed (legally) at Hartsfield Jackson International (ATL) last March by a company for construction/improvement mapping, but a) you're darn skippy they all had 2-way radios, and b) they sure as heck weren't using a drone with all of DJI's attendant micky-mouse NFZ happy-horses*** (they used an Intel Falcon 8).

My partner and I just mapped a section of land right in the flight path of a Class C air space. Done with permission, a NOTAM was issued, which shut down the runway for 3 hours. Using Inspire 1 with FW v1.08.30 and an eBee, we were able to get within 1.2 miles of the airport tower. So....unless you're actually mapping the airport itself, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have the latest/greatest DJI FW, I recommend downgrading to v1.08.xx. And before you ask, my answer is, "Google it."

Last edited:
Reactions: William Gaddy
My partner and I just mapped a section of land right in the flight path of a Class C air space. Done with permission, a NOTAM was issues, which shut down the runway for 3 hours. Using Inspire 1 with FW v1.08.30 and an eBee, we were able to get within 1.2 miles of the airport tower. So....unless you're actually mapping the airport itself, you shouldn't have a problem. If you have the latest/greatest DJI FW, I recommend downgrading to v1.08.xx. And before you ask, my answer is, "Google it."

We have one bird on 1.08 and one on the latest (if we had only one, it would be on 1.08 for sure). It hasn't burnt us yet, but we haven't mapped any airport runways and facilities. If we were doing a job like that, I'd bring one of our non-DJI birds "just in case" (well technically, our X8 v-tail DOES have a Naza2 but it's not smart enough to be stupid).

We have one bird on 1.08 and one on the latest (if we had only one, it would be on 1.08 for sure). It hasn't burnt us yet, but we haven't mapped any airport runways and facilities.

I have a little over 27 hours on my Inspire 1, v2.0, v1.08.03, and I have done just about every kind of drone gig under the sun, and the bird has been rock-solid reliable. Conversely, my partner has an Inspire 1, v1 with the latest FW, and is having video issues. We just did a side-by-side taste test today, and as little as 300' out, his video feed breaks up on both master and slave controllers.

Conversely, sans range extenders, we took my bird 2,000' out without so much as a hiccup. Now I remember the "old days" before my partner updated his bird, video feed was solid. So I think DJI attenuated Tx strength in the latest FW update. Rumors have it that it's an FCC thing, but I haven't confirmed.

If we were doing a job like that, I'd bring one of our non-DJI birds "just in case" (well technically, our X8 v-tail DOES have a Naza2 but it's not smart enough to be stupid).

I guess my point is that I use the Inspire because it HAS been so reliable. Mapping, film, stills, commercial real estate, dual-operator, autonomous, DJI Go and GS apps, Autopilot - 27+ hours of flight - the thing has just been rock solid. So I'm reluctant to use anything else. And I'm sure as hell not going to update the FW....<:^0

If you notice, I was the O.P. asking for the hack. Fortunately, we didn't need a hack. If we ever get a job mapping an actual airport, clearly we're going to have to use something other than DJI products. The eBee does okay, but as a fixed wing, the photos are just not as good as the quad's.

Last edited:
If possible, I would recommend a test flight on location before thinking you need an NFZ modification. It may save a lot of grief.

I know there are a lot of comments here, but if you read through them, you will find I did exactly that. Conclusion: As long as I don't try to LAUNCH 1.2 nautical miles from the Airport (Class C), I am able to fly my mapping missions.

Additional observation....

I was able to fly into the 1.2NM circle with a mere warning via the Go app. I didn't want to push my luck, so I just dipped into the circle a few feet, which WAS part of our COA and NOTAM.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla