Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 pro color code

A paint/color code that is close to what DJI use to paint the Inspire body on the Pro. Thinking of painting the standard white body shell to resemble the black pro.

A paint/color code that is close to what DJI use to paint the Inspire body on the Pro. Thinking of painting the standard white body shell to resemble the black pro.
Ahhhhhh, see what you mean now. :)
Sorry, that one I can't answer - hopefully someone will be along to help........

I'm not sure whereabouts you are - this may not help much if you're not in the UK...
I bought a bunch of aerosols from Halfords to find a match. I'm reasonably happy with BMW Sparkling Graphite. It could be closer but it's not far off. It'd probably benefit from a matt topcoat.

Here's the result, with an original Inspire Black T48 installed for comparison:

IMG_2985.JPG IMG_2987.JPG IMG_2989.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: MedicFL1
I thought the Black edition was black plastic and not painted.
I have never heard of one chipping off paint or scratching to reveal white plastic underneath.

I thought the Black edition was black plastic and not painted.
I have never heard of one chipping off paint or scratching to reveal white plastic underneath.

I think you missed the point here. I know it black plastic and not painted by DJI so it doesn't chip. All I want is a paint code so I can replicate it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the battery top has more of a matte finish than your shell. Correct??

Yes, that's correct. Mine isn't matt enough. The DJI 'black' Inspire is a metallic matt graphite/charcoal rather than black, which makes it so difficult to match exactly, taking a part to a paint shop for a match is going to be the only way to get it spot on. I've not seen a code during my searching.

I am going to try a matt clearcoat at some point to see if it gets a bit closer but it's not far off hue-wise

Reactions: jlrsn
Does anyone know the colour code DJI used for the black Inspire 1 Pro?
I don't quite understand all the concern about the black color being exact. I assume you are only after the look of the Inspire Pro Black. I painted
my Inspire 1 V2.0 using Ace Hardware's interior/exterior fast dry matte spray paint and am very pleased with the results. Quite a bit of work to
remove all the body panels but again am very pleased. Finished up with masking off the X3 camera and spraying it also. Now I have the look
of the Inspire 1 Pro Black which is what I was after.

Attachments

• IMG_5802.JPG
    IMG_5802.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Best shot.JPG
    Best shot.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 52
That looks really good Phil.

I think the whole matching thing comes about when people go the route of buying the Inspire black battery. It did for me at least. With hindsight it's probably much easier to just paint either colour of battery rather than trying to match the black.

Of course no matter which route you take, you're still stuck with a white controller :)

Well, I suppose it's not a perfect world. I figured if I could live with the white showing around the button on the battery, then I could get over a white controller. Thanks for the response.

I don't quite understand all the concern about the black color being exact. I assume you are only after the look of the Inspire Pro Black. I painted
my Inspire 1 V2.0 using Ace Hardware's interior/exterior fast dry matte spray paint and am very pleased with the results. Quite a bit of work to
remove all the body panels but again am very pleased. Finished up with masking off the X3 camera and spraying it also. Now I have the look

How did you prepare the camera for painting?

that looks really nice i was going to hydrodip mine but i might just spray paint it instead.

It's pretty easy to strip the casing off the X3 (in case you prefer to tackle it that way)

From memory it's 4 screws for the 'top' half with the vent and the rear fan. then another 2 internal screws for the bottom half. The bottom part also provides the support for the ribbon cable however, so it's not really removable.

In order to remove the casing, it's first necessary to first split and remove the plastic collar on the side, abutting the yaw gimbal. This snaps apart/together.

Last edited:
I decided to take the spraying of my 'black' Inspire a step further and did the transmitter as well.

I took the transmitter apart and removed the control sticks, buttons and wheels, as well as the rubber pads on the back.

Once everything was primed and sprayed I reassembled it and tried a few test flights. I didn't use any primer on the antennas as I didn't want to add any unwanted thickness there. Every flight has seemed fine, although I only fly LoS anyway - so it may well have impaired any long-distance capabilities.

The hardest part was prying back and masking the LED lenses on the front of the case

IMG_3009.JPG

I decided to take the spraying of my 'black' Inspire a step further and did the transmitter as well.

I took the transmitter apart and removed the control sticks, buttons and wheels, as well as the rubber pads on the back.

Once everything was primed and sprayed I reassembled it and tried a few test flights. I didn't use any primer on the antennas as I didn't want to add any unwanted thickness there. Every flight has seemed fine, although I only fly LoS anyway - so it may well have impaired any long-distance capabilities.

The hardest part was prying back and masking the LED lenses on the front of the case

View attachment 13198

How does the back look?

I'm not sure whereabouts you are - this may not help much if you're not in the UK...
I bought a bunch of aerosols from Halfords to find a match. I'm reasonably happy with BMW Sparkling Graphite. It could be closer but it's not far off. It'd probably benefit from a matt topcoat.

Looks excellent. Nice job on the graphite. I would never give the menacing "Oblivion white drone" look though. :D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla