Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro Complete In-Flight Failure - BATTERY OVERHEAT

Reaction score
Yesterday was a fantastic day to try out my newly purchased Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 Pro from back in March (yeah for price drop)
After flying for part of the fantastic afternoon, with both units and a few recharges, at 6:40PM EST, I was over 1000ft in altitude, and 6000ft in distance away from my home point when I began getting a "battery overheating malfunction" error at 58% discharge . I was over a heavily wooded area on the shores of the Ottawa River, and started to immediately come back to the home point, I had no opportunity to land, there was simply no where to land. I slowed the Inspire 1 down as much as I could but around 3210ft away at 941ft altitude (still in a heavily wooded area) there was a complete failure on the battery, and the Inspire fell, the last thing I saw was a image from the gimball rotating, and the blades still going and it looked to be branches in its view.

Battery was 97% charged on takeoff- a TB48- flew longer router earlier in the day. No indication at anytime prior to battery failure.... Is this just a freak thing?

BTW, I've started the process with DJI, but I'm sure they are not going to cover the Olympus 12MM lens and filter I had on the X5...

Went back in the morning to with better light to see if I could find anything, within 50ft of the last contact point, I found debris. The Inspire is a total loss, The camera is no where to be found, the gimball is in piecies.
It was a miracle I found anything, it's literally in a swamp.

Yesterday was a fantastic day to try out my newly purchased Phantom 4 and Inspire 1 Pro from back in March (yeah for price drop)
After flying for part of the fantastic afternoon, with both units and a few recharges, at 6:40PM EST, I was over 1000ft in altitude, and 6000ft in distance away from my home point when I began getting a "battery overheating malfunction" error at 58% discharge . I was over a heavily wooded area on the shores of the Ottawa River, and started to immediately come back to the home point, I had no opportunity to land, there was simply no where to land. I slowed the Inspire 1 down as much as I could but around 3210ft away at 941ft altitude (still in a heavily wooded area) there was a complete failure on the battery, and the Inspire fell, the last thing I saw was a image from the gimball rotating, and the blades still going and it looked to be branches in its view.

Battery was 97% charged on takeoff- a TB48- flew longer router earlier in the day. No indication at anytime prior to battery failure.... Is this just a freak thing?

BTW, I've started the process with DJI, but I'm sure they are not going to cover the Olympus 12MM lens and filter I had on the X5...

Went back in the morning to with better light to see if I could find anything, within 50ft of the last contact point, I found debris. The Inspire is a total loss, The camera is no where to be found, the gimball is in piecies.
Which firmware was you on?

Reactions: dannyjr985

"I was over 1000ft in altitude, and 6000ft in distance away from my home point," seriously?!?! So, clearly you were way outside LOS and doing things that you shouldn't have and you crash and then coming looking for answers? So here they are; 1) You were stupid and paid the consequences. 2) It's doesn't matter what actually went wrong with your airframe, you are an accident waiting to happen.

Sure, except you obviously have no idea what my LOS was... i had it.... being up close to 400ft you know nothing of the topography of the area... these units are advertised in having a 2-3 mile range if my math is correct that is 10-15k ft... i was well within the range.. as i said before made longer flights earlier in the day...

Flying full throttle horizontal or vertical longer then 10 seconds?
Sorry for your lost and thanks for the feedback
I'm sure there were periods i flew at full throttle for 20-30sec vertical or horizontal without a break... i cant recall precisely as the last 2 min of the flight completely monopolized my memory

Ambient temperature...
Was battery 15c before take off?
Don't mean to sound petty but 100% is not 97% it's been discussed on the forum.
Your like a gold mine of info I do some questionable flying myself not much room for error. Is why I ask questions

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
codymorgan