Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 pro decided to fall out of sky --- brand new tb48 battery on second use

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Packetdancer I'd love to known if that feature has ever once been employed by any one on purpose. As of now, all i see on the forums is stories of people inadvertently activating this "safety" command into a quad suicide free fall. I agree with @James Cole & @World Media.... It seems like it can easily be designed with two other function buttons not related to the joysticks.... but maybe i m just biased lol.

But on a brighter note I bought it with AMEX so i might be protected with their purchase protection and my renters insurance seems to cover these hobbyist activities as well...so we'll see

@Packetdancer I'd love to known if that feature has ever once been employed by any one on purpose.

I can personally attest that the feature has been used; I had to use it with a Phantom that had an engine go bad in flight. It plummeted down to about 4 feet above the ground and started wavering wildly in the general direction of people, and I promptly killed the engines and let it drop the remainder (where it landed upside down) rather than let it hit someone. Since I had my hands on the sticks already, going into shutdown was easy; I didn't have to pause and think 'where is the emergency shutoff'.

This may, admittedly, have influenced my belief that CSC is a good thing. Had I not, I might still feel like "this is a risky feature to have". :)

The CSC command using stick combination is perfect as it is. When the bad moment comes, you need to act fast and every serious pilot holds his hands on the sticks most of the time, just like a professional driver. The idea of a button combination would just delay the pilot's decision in crucial moments.

Agreed

, it far safer to use a deliberate combination of non flight threatening buttons to stop rotors when the inspire is airborne.

I agree but this issue is our version of the 'tastes great / less filling' argument. You and I can argue the insanity of using primary flight controls to do this and the frequent threads on the topic make it clear this issue isn't going away, but to those that support the current method our arguments mean nothing. In fact, about all it does is annoy them and mumble something about closing the thread.

In the end, whether the thread is closed or not will change nothing as the issue will continue to be raised over and over and over and over and over again.

Until such time as this 'feature' is redone in a less dangerous way this topic will be like wack-a-mole...

Brian

Ouch, very sorry to hear this happened. It seems to be a trend lately. I have to be honest, this command has been around since long before the Inspire was around. I have been building quads for a long time, way before the phantoms brought them into your house without building them yourself. I guess that just got me in the habit of reading my manuals very carefully. A lot more sweat and room for error.
Also, I am not sure if it works with the Inspire (I think it would since all of the other DJI Flight controllers do the same thing), but you can actually do another CSC while its falling and it should turn on, possibly righting itself like with DJIs NAZA controller.

Reactions: slim.slamma
In fairness, as I noted above, I used to be on the "this is stupid and it could happen accidentally, why would you ever" side of the discussion.

Then I had to actually use the CSC for an emergency in-air shutdown deliberately, and I honestly think I would not have been able to react as quickly as I needed to under pressure without the CSC being based on primary controls. I suspect I would have needed to pause and think "wait, this thing I never do, what's the button combination for that?" and find the buttons.

So even if I now think this is actually a good way to handle it, I can still see both sides of the argument.

What I DO think would help a lot is if there was a way to ensure new pilots knew it; the majority of people who do accidental CSC in flight are unaware that it's even possible. I think many people read the printed materials that come with the Inspire before flying, but don't go online to look for the full manual. And the printed 'quick start' materials do not, as I recall, actually mention that the CSC can be performed in the air.

actually i do think i turned the rotors back on while it was in plummet because i heard its waspy sound, but it was sideways so i was trying to bring it up with the left controller when i should have been trying the rebalance with the right controllers. Lesson learned, I think my personal property insurance will cover the replacement though.....we'll see...I put in a claim....thats why I have insurance right.

Reactions: Mazz
Feel for your "loss"

However although you lost your a/c you did not lose your integrity and put your hands up to the fact it was operator error.

Many would not do the above you did.

Honesty and looking someone in the eye goes a long way in my book.

You can't keep a good man down!!

Reactions: Packetdancer
Lesson learned, I think my personal property insurance will cover the replacement though.....we'll see...I put in a claim....thats why I have insurance right.

I hope this works. Let us know how you fare.

While the topic has drifted off to the CSC command, I'd suggest that the remote control unit emitted a distinctive sound that would alert the user. So if it was non intentional, hopefully, the user could CSC the motors back on before the quad crashes.

Reactions: Ascender and AJW
Found the memory card a lil bit ago...here are the pics....Guess they are worth about $5000. too bad it wasnt on video mode...could have been viral...lol

Attachments

• DJI_0117_8_9.jpg
    DJI_0117_8_9.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 57
  • DJI_0123_4_5.jpg
    DJI_0123_4_5.jpg
    8.8 MB · Views: 53
Man that's bad luck! Sorry for the loss. Does anyone know the website that you can upload the flight data log to? I'm only 2 weeks into having my I1 but seems like a cool feature.

No Video?

Too bad, I'm pretty sure the crashing of a 5000 dollar drone would get some good hits on youtube.
you could monetize it, you never know!

If someone puts up a donation page I'm sure a few people will sub you a dollars for your loss. Your incident has reminded a lot of people about a feature many were not sure of. That's worth something. Its even being talked about on RCGROUPS.

I lost a few drones in my time, at a fraction of that value and its bad enough.

The CSC command using stick combination is perfect as it is. When the bad moment comes, you need to act fast and every serious pilot holds his hands on the sticks most of the time, just like a professional driver. The idea of a button combination would just delay the pilot's decision in crucial moments.

When a fighter pilot needs to eject as he's heading for the ground does he push a button on the stick or throttle? No he does not! He reaches up or down for the eject handle and pulls it.

No way Uncle Sam is going to permit ejection be tied to the primary flight controls and increase the risk that a $75M plane and there many million dollar pilot be put at additional risk but accidental activation of the ejection seat.

Brian

I have moved this thread to the General Discussion section as I have no idea what it was doing in the X5 section.

I see this has degenerated into yet another CSC command debate so it is now locked.

There have been so many threads started on this subject that yet another one is pointless.

Reactions: damoncooper
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44