Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro hard landing help

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a few months now and just got an Inspire 1 Pro/X5 last week.

I was bringing it in for a nice cinematic landing, thought I was clear of the tree line, and I wasnt. My bird went about 2 feet into the tree from the top, I immediately shot it up and out of the tree and brought it home. It was wobbly as the tips of 2 of the propellers had broken away and about 3ft or so off the ground it came in a bit rough. The ground was softer dirt so I think that's what saved me!

I just want to make sure I've done everything I can before I start her back up. I used the search function and didn't see anything in glancing through hard landing threads, most of them are about hard landing mode cases. :)

I went over the bird with a fine tooth comb and LED flashlight checking for hairline fractures. I didn't see any. I checked the 2 unbroken props for the same. I didnt see any. The battery is not puffy and everything "seems" to be ok. The gimbal and camera still work.

Is there anything Im missing to check on the bird physically? Angle of the motors? I just want to be as thorough as possible.

Thank you for any help!

Yes, change all props, then fire it up and hover about 4 feet off the ground to see if she is steady. If so, you should be fine.
Just be careful until you are sure of it..........

Thank you for the quick responses! I will hover in the morning. I started it all up with a different battery just now (no props on) and everything works as it should. I might have dodged the bullet...

Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker here for a few months now and just got an Inspire 1 Pro/X5 last week.

I was bringing it in for a nice cinematic landing, thought I was clear of the tree line, and I wasnt. My bird went about 2 feet into the tree from the top, I immediately shot it up and out of the tree and brought it home. It was wobbly as the tips of 2 of the propellers had broken away and about 3ft or so off the ground it came in a bit rough. The ground was softer dirt so I think that's what saved me!

I just want to make sure I've done everything I can before I start her back up. I used the search function and didn't see anything in glancing through hard landing threads, most of them are about hard landing mode cases. :)

I went over the bird with a fine tooth comb and LED flashlight checking for hairline fractures. I didn't see any. I checked the 2 unbroken props for the same. I didnt see any. The battery is not puffy and everything "seems" to be ok. The gimbal and camera still work.

Is there anything Im missing to check on the bird physically? Angle of the motors? I just want to be as thorough as possible.

Thank you for any help!
Redo the IMU calibration, just to be sure.

Redo the IMU calibration, just to be sure.

@ Eliphion -
+1 on the above - IMU calibration is imperative after a physical knock or hard landing.

Also, check your mod values before take off (lots on that on the forum) - it's good practice to do that anyway.

Occasionally, a hard landing can damage the Lightbridge cooling fan and break off a fin. If this happens it will throw the fan off balance and your IMU calibration is unlikely to complete successfully due to the vibration.
If it calibrates OK then you should be fine.

Reactions: Eliphion
Thank you all. I definitely did not see anything on recalibrating the IMU so thank you for advising this and then letting me know the why! Appreciate you all. Ill report back tonight, hopefully good news, when I can get home!

Thanks Editor for the Mod values info as well.

It calibrated ok and within accepted parameters. :) I got away with one it looks like!

Indeed. Learn from it. I had a very small crash into a tree, 8 feet up and broke the X5 gimbal.
Ouch!!
I stay FAR away from trees now.

image.jpeg Just check you're props are aligned to the correct pitch. Sometimes after a hard landing these can be misaligned. To do this place the craft on a flat table top in landing mode. Place the two front prop tips towards the nose cone and measure with a tape measure the distance from table top to tip of prop. The scale below will give you an idea of the correct measurement. Select which props you are using and if you have feet attached or not. Hope this helps.

Another way to be sure the alignment is correct is to see where the prop tips point to.
As shown in this picture, they should point directly to the intersection of bracket for vibration absorbing plate and airframe.
zz6.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips