Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 Pro or standard for pro work

Reaction score
G'day,

I've got a PH3P and while I'm very happy with this bird, I'm in a position to afford an Inspire 1 but not sure what is best; the Inspire 1 Pro or standard.

Main work will be for TV ads, Tourism and Local Govt. projects. So from those who have flown this bird with this gear, am I right in saying, 'there is no substitute for quality'? Hence the X5 lens but which one?

Speaking of which, what lens has the less distortion, if any?

Do these lenses have AF? I also read on ther DJI site, the lens can be manually focused as well? Is this more cine work or what?

Aside, I hear there's a zoom lens camera out now or is this just rumour?

Thanks,

Jim

Reactions: ronsonwhitaker
Hi Jim,

I myself resently purchased the DJI Inspire 1 Pro along with several Olympic lenses (12,14-42,25,45).

Main reason for the Inspire 1 Pro is for the flexability of being able to change lens, apature, etc.

If you are considering on moving up to an Inspire than seriously consider the pro over the inspire 1 V1 because of having access to a better sensor and access to multiple lenses.

If the reviews turn out positive I may consider adding the DJI Inspire 1 Pro RAW to my hanger.

Nas,

Hi Jim,

I myself resently purchased the DJI Inspire 1 Pro along with several Olympic lenses (12,14-42,25,45).

Main reason for the Inspire 1 Pro is for the flexability of being able to change lens, apature, etc.

If you are considering on moving up to an Inspire than seriously consider the pro over the inspire 1 V1 because of having access to a better sensor and access to multiple lenses.

If the reviews turn out positive I may consider adding the DJI Inspire 1 Pro RAW to my hanger.

Nas,

Nas,

Thanks mate, for the info! Yes, I'll wait for the new model to come out. The Inspire 1 V2 is only the click-on props I believe but the Pro RAW is what I'll go for. Over here in Australia they go for ~$10K AUD with your choice of lens.

What is the all-rounder lens you'd recommend? Got any images I can see?

Thanks a mil,

Jim

The olympus 12mm is super sharp and very wide. Looks great during low flying over landscapes, or tight to buildings and real estate. The standard 15mm really isn't too bad, it's just not as sharp as the Olympus lense.

Haven't tried the 14-42 yet, but I can see some great applications for having some zoom capability...

Here's one from the standard DJI 15mm f1.7.

Attachments

• 03-26-16-0002.jpg
    03-26-16-0002.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
Answer this question...

Can you live with only one lense, only one perspective?

Not me, my 25mm is my 50mm in the sky, but for landscape the 12mm is the way to go.

Getting up close you need the 45mm to keep your quad at a safe distance.

During my scouting campains and inspection I use the 14-42mm to save time and batteries.

Nas,

That 15mm shot is superb, mate! Where is it? Looks like the 12mm would serve my purpose.

That zoom lens, is it still current? Some say here that lens is not supported by DJI anymore, or is it?

I'm waiting to get the Pro RAW model so is there any way I can find out if that lens will work with the RAW Pro model?
Answer this question...

Can you live with only one lense, only one perspective?

Not me, my 25mm is my 50mm in the sky, but for landscape the 12mm is the way to go.

Getting up close you need the 45mm to keep your quad at a safe distance.

During my scouting campains and inspection I use the 14-42mm to save time and batteries.

Nas,

Is this zoom lens still available and is it supported by the DJI Go app?

Jim

Last edited:
I'm impressed,

Nas,

Do you know if the Inspire 1 Pro RAW model comes with its original X3 camera as well as whatever Olympus lens you want so both cams can be interchanged or not? I'd really like to have the best of both worlds - X3 and X5 cameras.

That shot was taken West of Calgary, Alberta.

Isn't this little church on H-wy #22, just on the foothills of Rockies?

BTW, I'm using both 12mm and 45mm Oly lenses and get rid of DJI original lens with no hesitance whatsoever. These two glasses are winning hands down for serious work.

Do you know if the Inspire 1 Pro RAW model comes with its original X3 camera as well as whatever Olympus lens you want so both cams can be interchanged or not? I'd really like to have the best of both worlds - X3 and X5 cameras.
I see no sense in this idea. Why bother with fine, but still pretty simple X3 camera when you'll get superior X5RAW camera with your bird? And no, you can't purchase Inspire 1 Pro without original DJI 15mm lens attached to either X5 or X5RAW camera, as far as I know. The main advantage of Inspire 1 Pro RAW is the ability to roll cinema quality clips with huge bandwidth and capacity onboard storage. Both will accept excellent Olympus lenses, although 14-42 zoom lens seems to be of rather average quality, typical to all pancake style lenses.

I see no sense in this idea. Why bother with fine, but still pretty simple X3 camera when you'll get superior X5RAW camera with your bird? And no, you can't purchase Inspire 1 Pro without original DJI 15mm lens attached to either X5 or X5RAW camera, as far as I know. The main advantage of Inspire 1 Pro RAW is the ability to roll cinema quality clips with huge bandwidth and capacity onboard storage. Both will accept excellent Olympus lenses, although 14-42 zoom lens seems to be of rather average quality, typical to all pancake style lenses.

Thank you for this info.

Q. lf I get an Inspire 1 with the DJI camera, can I interchange that cam with say, the X5RAW later on, or does one have to buy the I1 RAW Pro bird already fitted with the X5 RAW lens?

It's just I may want to do more practice flights to gain more confidence, before attaching a more expensive camera. Does this make sense?

Thank you for this info.

Q. lf I get an Inspire 1 with the DJI camera, can I interchange that cam with say, the X5RAW later on, or does one have to buy the I1 RAW Pro bird already fitted with the X5 RAW lens?

It's just I may want to do more practice flights to gain more confidence, before attaching a more expensive camera. Does this make sense?
It'll increase your total expenses badly, having the bird with X3 camera for start and replacing it with X5 or X5R later, which is possible and many owners of older models do just that. Please note that Inspire will fly without camera and gimbal attached to, but having no First Person View on the monitor you're limited to flying within the radius of sight. This is enough to get the feel and gain the confidence, perhaps even better for training purpose than jumping into far and high expeditions right away. Polish your GPS-controlled and Atti Mode piloting skills without gimbal attached, fly in 100m radius sphere first, and play with fully featured piloting later.

It'll increase your total expenses badly, having the bird with X3 camera for start and replacing it with X5 or X5R later, which is possible and many owners of older models do just that. Please note that Inspire will fly without camera and gimbal attached to, but having no First Person View on the monitor you're limited to flying within the radius of sight. This is enough to get the feel and gain the confidence, perhaps even better for training purpose than jumping into far and high expeditions right away. Polish your GPS-controlled and Atti Mode piloting skills without gimbal attached, fly in 100m radius sphere first, and play with fully featured piloting later.

I feel more at ease now reading what you said. Thank you.

Q. Not having the camera during practice flights will give me more confidence. However, without the camera and gimbal won't this increase the bird's ability to be less responsive in flight if here's say, a 10-15k/hr wind blowing?

Regardless of this, I'll be training within sight no more than 100m. I need to practice on my 'Lazy Eights', Squares, and Circuits. The latter is the best challenge. I have to do 6 flight tests when a CASA assessor comes out to asses me for my Unmanned Operating Certificate license, which allows one to go commercial. It's like going for a drive test. At night I practice on the Real Flight simulator.

Q. Not having the camera during practice flights will give me more confidence. However, without the camera and gimbal won't this increase the bird's ability to be less responsive in flight if here's say, a 10-15k/hr wind blowing?

Regardless of this, I'll be training within sight no more than 100m. I need to practice on my 'Lazy Eights', Squares, and Circuits. The latter is the best challenge. I have to do 6 flight tests when a CASA assessor comes out to asses me for my Unmanned Operating Certificate license, which allows one to go commercial. It's like going for a drive test. At night I practice on the Real Flight simulator.
I spent 2 hours a day practicing for my flight test and license. I used 4 orange witches hat cones for precision. I still fly 40 mins a day.

A. Not at all. I've experienced no problem here. As you know, in P mode the wind drift is auto-compensated no matter what unless it is stronger than 25-30m/s. Some people reported 50 knots winds handled with not much of the struggle. Inspire 1 Pro is more than 500G lighter without gimbal, which is a lot. This translates to longer flying time, more kick and swiftness. Flying in Atti mode is much more challenging due to a momentum of this massive craft (no auto-braking feature at zero-ed sticks, no wind drift compensation, of course), but once mastered sky's the limit (pun intended).

Last edited:
What about the compression artifacts with the Inspire Pro? Seems like everyone is ignoring this problem and buying the aircraft anyway. I am returning mine because for $4,000 it is not good enough, but I guess I am too fussy

What about the compression artifacts with the Inspire Pro? Seems like everyone is ignoring this problem and buying the aircraft anyway. I am returning mine because for $4,000 it is not good enough, but I guess I am too fussy
Well, if you're on Red level, than indeed the X5 or even X5R camera aren't the same league. Yet consider the fact that you're paying for wirelessly controlled airborne carrying platform rather than for the camera itself. Finally, the features and performance of X5R system may compete successfully with way, way more expensive systems and accessories when moving camera is in need. After all it's all about project budget.

No, I am not on the Red level but I am on the GH4 level and that technology has been around for at least three years or more. As others have said, it is becoming very clear that DJI is not a camera company, It's cameras are subpar, yet there seem plenty of people who are ready to buy a subpar product.

Last edited:
No, I am not on the Red level but I am on the GH4 level and that technology has been around for at least three years or more. As others have said, it is becoming very clear that DJI is not a camera company, It's cameras are subpar, yet there seem plenty of people who are ready to buy a subpar product.
You're right: DJI is a drone company, not a camera expert. Although this assumption was never confirmed by DJI (as usual) the X5 camera and lens were designed and supplied by Panasonic. That said, the X5 and X5R systems are badly overpriced IMO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop