Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 - Replace One Motor or All Four

Reaction score
Hi,

As a result of a recent "crash" (i.e. very small incident tipping over) I've determined that I need to replace at least one motor. I'm currently flying Inspire V.1 though I have upgraded to the X5 camera. Aside from this one incident I've never had any issues with three of the four motors.

My questions are these:

1) When replacing motors is it OK to replace a single motor? Or are these like car tires in that it's usually better to replace them in either pairs or all four at once?

2) I know the Inspire Pro ships with a more powerful motors... Assuming I might be able to get away with replacing a single motor or even a pair; if I'm replacing motors at all is there really that much benefit to upgrading to the more powerful motors?

To replace all four motors with the more powerful motors from the pro I've been quoted $450…

Thanks!

KFarruggia

Hi Kris, I had a similar experience with a V.1 during my 4th flight from new, and had to replace two motors that suffered some scratch and dings on the rotors. Never had any problems since that small incident. My opinion is YES, you can replace a single motor as they are brushless, and NO, I wouldn't replace the motors with the 410KV version if you are not planning to replace the ESC for each single motor. I would stay with the original V.1 configuration, save money and have fun.

Reactions: Fidel Gonzales
Hi Kris, I had a similar experience with a V.1 during my 4th flight from new, and had to replace two motors that suffered some scratch and dings on the rotors. Never had any problems since that small incident. My opinion is YES, you can replace a single motor as they are brushless, and NO, I wouldn't replace the motors with the 410KV version if you are not planning to replace the ESC for each single motor. I would stay with the original V.1 configuration, save money and have fun.

Thanks so much for the reply! Yeah I think replacing a single motor without the upgrade will be significantly less expensive. Eventually I'd love to upgrade them all but that will have to wait until an end of life really.

Overall that brings up another question...
Assuming no crashes and what have you...what's the typical expected life for these motors?

And speaking of crashes...
Has anyone been able to find a decently affordable but comprehensive insurance provider for their Inspire?

Reactions: Jahstys
Hi, "end of life" for a brushless motor is something really far and away in the future unless something obstruct the motor from spinning: avoid landing on sand and dusty surfaces and take care of the motors air intake while travelling outdoor ....there are so many other components that can fail before the motor: ESC, battery, IMU....I currently have more than 80 hrs flights on my inspire and I just try to check it regularly on the main things that in my opinion can fail, like propeller mounts, propeller, camera mount rubber vibration absorbers....Sometimes have experienced "compass error" and "IMU error" with consequent loss of GPS guidance, with everything updated to the latest SW release, so some kind of trouble is always behind the next corner. I try to concentrate on things I can visually check, rather than those I can't prevent from failing. Carefully inspect the bird before every flight, always check the props and mounts, at least if something goes wrong you can always tell "I have done my best to check everything before taking off"..... If you start thinking about the (many) things that can fail while flying, just keep the bird in your bedroom. I have changed the prop mounts with an alu version, which are very tight and (apparently) safe, and I prefer to install new props every 10 hours or so. I often fly on water, so have installed a pair of Waterbuoy and a "Mayday" system with an Opale parachute. But it's more on the personal "peace of mind" side of the story. Just fly safe and don't go beyond what you feel it's your current limit as a pilot, you can't 100% prevent **** from happening anyway at some stage.

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_1411556.jpg
    IMG_20160817_1411556.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 17
Hi, "end of life" for a brushless motor is something really far and away in the future unless something obstruct the motor from spinning: avoid landing on sand and dusty surfaces and take care of the motors air intake while travelling outdoor ....there are so many other components that can fail before the motor: ESC, battery, IMU....I currently have more than 80 hrs flights on my inspire and I just try to check it regularly on the main things that in my opinion can fail, like propeller mounts, propeller, camera mount rubber vibration absorbers....Sometimes have experienced "compass error" and "IMU error" with consequent loss of GPS guidance, with everything updated to the latest SW release, so some kind of trouble is always behind the next corner. I try to concentrate on things I can visually check, rather than those I can't prevent from failing. Carefully inspect the bird before every flight, always check the props and mounts, at least if something goes wrong you can always tell "I have done my best to check everything before taking off"..... If you start thinking about the (many) things that can fail while flying, just keep the bird in your bedroom. I have changed the prop mounts with an alu version, which are very tight and (apparently) safe, and I prefer to install new props every 10 hours or so. I often fly on water, so have installed a pair of Waterbuoy and a "Mayday" system with an Opale parachute. But it's more on the personal "peace of mind" side of the story. Just fly safe and don't go beyond what you feel it's your current limit as a pilot, you can't 100% prevent **** from happening anyway at some stage.

All great advice...thanks!

The waterbuoy is interesting! Do you have a photo by chance of that mounted on the bird?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here we go, one on each side of the birdIMG_20160817_1519007.jpg But it's useless if you don't install a parachute system it would crash into small pieces anyway

Here we go, one on each side of the birdView attachment 9578 But it's useless if you don't install a parachute system it would crash into small pieces anyway

Wow that's pretty slick! Are those pretty pricey?
And which parachute system do you use? I've seen a few of these but they've all seemed bulky and improbable :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spent about $130 for the two pair (4 waterbuoys). Check marsparachutes.com for the parachute+Mayday automatic deployment system. There is a specific kit for the Inspire.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido