Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 1 vs Jetski

It's funnier when it isn't your copter. :)

After having a good laugh about this, it did produce a moment of pause for me. If that ski was a little more prone going over that wave, that could have seriously hurt or killed that Jet ski operator. I'm wondering if you could get the same quality of shot he was looking for at a little higher altitude?

Reactions: turbodronepilot
It's funnier when it isn't your copter. :)

After having a good laugh about this, it did produce a moment of pause for me. If that ski was a little more prone going over that wave, that could have seriously hurt or killed that Jet ski operator. I'm wondering if you could get the same quality of shot he was looking for at a little higher altitude?
Yeah the director was probably in the drone guys ear saying 'Get a little closer, no, just a little closer...' then boom! Director walks away, well not my problem better call the next guy...

Reactions: Ice Man
Just like the incident on the ski slope this could result in bans covering ocean sports.

The thing I really fear is that a surfer is hurt by a drone and when that happens, and you know it will sooner or later, then good luck trying to cover surfing with your drone.

Brian

Ban the jetski!
Limit the jetski altitude to 3ft over the water. Force them to register with Coast Guard and in case of separation between the water and jetski, a licensed naval pilot must be on board.
I know you are joking Dcon but there is a flaw in that concept... why would we take photos of them if they were mandated to fly that low?

The jetski was obviously spying and if the operator of the vehicle had a GoPro there are serious privacy issues.
Did the jetski have a tail number and has the FAA been advised of this air incident?
It's all well and good people saying that Amazon will one day be delivering their packages by jetski but incidents like this bring up serious safety concerns.
One final thing...... Was this accident caused by the jetski losing a prop in flight?

Reactions: lrh111
Just like the incident on the ski slope this could result in bans covering ocean sports.

The thing I really fear is that a surfer is hurt by a drone and when that happens, and you know it will sooner or later, then good luck trying to cover surfing with your drone.

Brian

Do you know how many people get hurt by an Jetski every year? I don't and I guess you don't know it either. Drones can be dangerous no question about it but what happened in the last 2 or 3 years (not just in the US, also in Europe) is ridiculous. It looks like that the discussion left the technical level and is more and more picked up by politicians to raise their profile. They draw dramatic pictures in the sky (literally) like "they kill you" or they are "violating everyone's privacy" (and other ********) and demand stricter laws, more regulations and (of course) jail time. And this subject is easy for them, no billion dollar lobbyists are lurking around and people love "strong" politicians who protect their privacy etc.

And the strategy works even here on this forum. Almost on every video you see comments like "OMG somebody could've get killed". And on the Jetski video, what do you think is more dangerous? A 4KG drone or a 300KG Jetski bursting through the water where the driver can't see who is behind the next wave?

We should stop feeding the trolls in our parliaments with their own stupid arguments. If someone is doing stupid things, work with them but keep the drama out, you just harm yourself and the scene with it.

Chris

BTW: if something is lost in translation, this was not meant to be as an offense against you.

Do you know how many people get hurt by an Jetski every year? I don't and I guess you don't know it either. Drones can be dangerous no question about it but what happened in the last 2 or 3 years (not just in the US, also in Europe) is ridiculous. It looks like that the discussion left the technical level and is more and more picked up by politicians to raise their profile. They draw dramatic pictures in the sky (literally) like "they kill you" or they are "violating everyone's privacy" (and other ********) and demand stricter laws, more regulations and (of course) jail time. And this subject is easy for them, no billion dollar lobbyists are lurking around and people love "strong" politicians who protect their privacy etc.

And the strategy works even here on this forum. Almost on every video you see comments like "OMG somebody could've get killed". And on the Jetski video, what do you think is more dangerous? A 4KG drone or a 300KG Jetski bursting through the water where the driver can't see who is behind the next wave?

We should stop feeding the trolls in our parliaments with their own stupid arguments. If someone is doing stupid things, work with them but keep the drama out, you just harm yourself and the scene with it.

Chris

BTW: if something is lost in translation, this was not meant to be as an offense against you.

Thanks Chris. I do think that it's a valid discussion of the pilot's position/altitude and how he could have been safer, don't you? And, you have admit.. the video was spectacular. I do agree that if someone was reading this and didn't know that some of those tongue in cheek comments were made by responsible and knowledgeable pilots, it would lead one to believe that we really don't take safety seriously.

Chris

No offense taken...

My comment was really about the over reaction that those in the media and our elected officials do when an incident like this happens. And you're absolutely right about the number of injuries, and yes deaths, that occur every year with jetskis.

The good thing for the jetski industry is that they can't so easily video a business polluting or acting badly and THAT'S the main thing that's driving many pols to limit drones. I've mentioned this before, but a few years ago an environmental group flew a drone near a ranch in Texas and caught the rancher dumping agricultural waste into a river. Instead of bringing heat on the rancher the rancher put heat on his local elected officials and shortly thereafter they made it illegal to fly drones near such places.

Any incident that can be spun to make the drone industry look bad you can bet many will jump at the chance to do so. The media, ever hopeful to have a new pet story to flog will joyfully play along...

Brian

Reactions: slim.slamma
I hope the jet ski wasn't a rental otherwise he'd loose his deductable for that prop scratch.

Most rental jetskis have been run aground at the beach so many times you would never notice the prop scratches,

Brian
Ummmmm......jet skis don't have props - that's why they are called jetski's. :p
Water is sucked in through an intake and then accelerated through an incased impeller which is internal. Water then exits at speed through a steerable outlet or nozzle which narrows to produce further power at the exit.

Ummmmm......jet skis don't have props - that's why they are called jetski's. :p
Water is sucked in through an intake and then accelerated through an incased impeller which is internal. Water then exits at speed through a steerable outlet or nozzle which narrows to produce further power at the exit.

They were talking about the Props from the Inspire 1 Scratching the bottom of the Jet Ski.

The jetski was obviously spying and if the operator of the vehicle had a GoPro there are serious privacy issues.
Did the jetski have a tail number and has the FAA been advised of this air incident?
It's all well and good people saying that Amazon will one day be delivering their packages by jetski but incidents like this bring up serious safety concerns.
One final thing...... Was this accident caused by the jetski losing a prop in flight?
LMAO your cracking me up over here! lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela