Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 battery modification

Reaction score
Well, I decided to be the test dummy here to see if I could replicate the same battery mod as many of us did on the I1 for increased flight time. I'm happy to say that it worked. Better than I expected as well. I have two different sets of batteries to try out. I have two 3S 4000mah LiHV batts wired in series (then parallel with the I2) and I have four 6S 1300mah LiHV batts. Neither of these situations are exactly ideal, but finding different sized batteries in LiHV is tough. Not too many manufacturers. I could have done the same thing as I did with the I1 and have a huge 6S 6600mah LiHV hanging off the back, but I don't want to hinder any of the I2 features with all of the vision sensors. Today was just a test. I'll spend some time to come up with a more elegant way of attaching the batteries now that I know this works.

First things first: I went 24 minutes, 13 seconds down to 10%. I added 4000mah extra to the I2 using two 4000mah 3S LiHV batts in series. This is with a steady 15mph wind with 21mph gusts the entire time.

My I2 was constantly hovering at an angle. I'd say I hovered for about 70% of the time and spent the other time flying around to feel the difference with the added weight. Not much changed in flight characteristics as the I2 is pretty powerful.

Here is how I did it.

I soldered leads onto the gold colored plugs that connect to the motors.

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/TnJbvX']
I wanted to be as minimally invasive as possible. I used my dremel to cut in channels on the plastic plug holder to fit in some 14 gauge wire.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwMm]

I then increased the size of the open hole on the bottom of the chassis with a 15/64" bit to easily fit the 14 gauge wire through. I think the hole is there to mess with the center screw jack. I don't know. I'll have to look it up sometime. I just know you can see the flathead screw to the center screw jack through that hole.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwSS]

Thread the wires through.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tp7Cbv]

Kinda tight fit in the plastic housing for the motor plugs, but it worked. No stripped out screws.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Tp7C9g]

Finished product (for now).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Sj2Esq]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwyq]

LoL. Look at that estimated flight time in the app! Speaking of the app, it didn't like the extra source of power. Kept saying my batteries were connected incorrectly, but clicking on the actual battery menu showed both batteries as per usual.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwjC]

Almost 6 minutes in and still at 82%. As you can see, the Inspire 2 still reads all important information on the DJI batteries regardless of the error on the main screen.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwaj]

Proof of the 24 minute flight.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/TmJwtW]
[/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url][/url]

Not sure why you are starting an entire new thread here.
Makes no sense. I'll be reporting my results on the other thread, see you there.

While I have no intention to modify my I2, I am impressed by the level of ingenuity here. By the way, the battery packs look like blocks of C4. :)
It does sorta look like packs of C4. I'm an old hobbyist. I don't like the new "smart" batteries. I like being in control of charging, discharging and care of my batteries. I don't like relying on DJI's software and I don't like how it drastically increases the price of the batteries. At the same time, I do understand how it is very helpful to those that don't want the extra work. There are pros and cons. What I can say is this: In my first test alone, I got 6 more minutes of flight time than my usual 18 minutes - and those two batteries cost me $45 in total. That's a GREAT minute of flight time/dollar ratio.

Can you show how you are plugging in the two batteries to the single XT60 plug exiting the chassis?

It does sorta look like packs of C4. I'm an old hobbyist. I don't like the new "smart" batteries. I like being in control of charging, discharging and care of my batteries. I don't like relying on DJI's software and I don't like how it drastically increases the price of the batteries. At the same time, I do understand how it is very helpful to those that don't want the extra work. There are pros and cons. What I can say is this: In my first test alone, I got 6 more minutes of flight time than my usual 18 minutes - and those two batteries cost me $45 in total. That's a GREAT minute of flight time/dollar ratio.
18 min with the stock ? Something wrong with your battery !! Since I have my I2 , never down from 22.5 min with the x5s, so if I'll go with the mode, I may rich the ~29min, exiting !!

Well, I decided to be the test dummy here to see if I could replicate the same battery mod as many of us did on the I1 for increased flight time. I'm happy to say that it worked. Better than I expected as well. I have two different sets of batteries to try out. I have two 3S 4000mah LiHV batts wired in series (then parallel with the I2) and I have four 6S 1300mah LiHV batts. Neither of these situations are exactly ideal, but finding different sized batteries in LiHV is tough. Not too many manufacturers. I could have done the same thing as I did with the I1 and have a huge 6S 6600mah LiHV hanging off the back, but I don't want to hinder any of the I2 features with all of the vision sensors. Today was just a test. I'll spend some time to come up with a more elegant way of attaching the batteries now that I know this works.

First things first: I went 24 minutes, 13 seconds down to 10%. I added 4000mah extra to the I2 using two 4000mah 3S LiHV batts in series. This is with a steady 15mph wind with 21mph gusts the entire time.

My I2 was constantly hovering at an angle. I'd say I hovered for about 70% of the time and spent the other time flying around to feel the difference with the added weight. Not much changed in flight characteristics as the I2 is pretty powerful.

Here is how I did it.

I soldered leads onto the gold colored plugs that connect to the motors.

I wanted to be as minimally invasive as possible. I used my dremel to cut in channels on the plastic plug holder to fit in some 14 gauge wire.

I then increased the size of the open hole on the bottom of the chassis with a 15/64" bit to easily fit the 14 gauge wire through. I think the hole is there to mess with the center screw jack. I don't know. I'll have to look it up sometime. I just know you can see the flathead screw to the center screw jack through that hole.

Thread the wires through.

Kinda tight fit in the plastic housing for the motor plugs, but it worked. No stripped out screws.

Finished product (for now).

LoL. Look at that estimated flight time in the app! Speaking of the app, it didn't like the extra source of power. Kept saying my batteries were connected incorrectly, but clicking on the actual battery menu showed both batteries as per usual.

Almost 6 minutes in and still at 82%. As you can see, the Inspire 2 still reads all important information on the DJI batteries regardless of the error on the main screen.

Proof of the 24 minute flight.

Hi Nick, like your mod, but if you clarify something please, in pic 2,3 I can see the dremled hole on the plastic plug that holds the motors terminal, but when you assemble it in pic 6 , I can't see the enlarged hole you did. If you turn it upside down, the terminal connection must be facing down as well ? I'm missing something ?
Thanks.

Can you show how you are plugging in the two batteries to the single XT60 plug exiting the chassis?

Ok, a few questions to answer. Please have a look at the picture below. That should explain how this is wired together.

18 min with the stock ? Something wrong with your battery !! Since I have my I2 , never down from 22.5 min with the x5s, so if I'll go with the mode, I may rich the ~29min, exiting !!

Could be the conditions I'm flying in. I don't know. I have said on many occasions that I can't stand DJI batteries. I wish they would offer more options other than doing this "smart" battery thing.

Hi Nick, like your mod, but if you clarify something please, in pic 2,3 I can see the dremled hole on the plastic plug that holds the motors terminal, but when you assemble it in pic 6 , I can't see the enlarged hole you did. If you turn it upside down, the terminal connection must be facing down as well ? I'm missing something ?
Thanks.
Not sure what you are asking. There is a dremeled hole in the plastic housing that holds the plugs for the motors. I thread my wires through there, then I thread my wires through the bottom of the metal chassis of the Inspire 2 (which I also dremeled out). The plastic housing is then screwed onto the inside of the chassis and the wires dangle underneath the Inspire 2.

Nick, I see you have added approx another 8000MAH worth of batteries to the standard DJI I2 batteries (also approx 8000+ MAH) but only seem to be getting about 5 min. more flight. Why is this or am I missing some thing?

No, 2 3S 4000 batteries in series equal a 6S 4000 battery. Nick should try with a 6S 8000 or 10000 or 2 6S 4000 batteries in parallel...

No, 2 3S 4000 batteries in series equal a 6S 4000 battery. Nick should try with a 6S 8000 or 10000 or 2 6S 4000 batteries in parallel...

Not sure where I would put such large batteries and still get the benefits of the vision system. More weight also means diminishing returns. Long discussion on this when we were doing it to the I1. Right now, I like the 6 extra minutes from the 4000mah, plus, they weigh very little and I have options to move them around to better locations. Lastly, I've only tested this on a windy day where the I2 was fighting the wind the entire time. I may get better results on a calm day.

I did try four 6S 1300mah batteries yesterday all wired in parallel (so 5200mah extra). It was even stronger wind yesterday and I got 25 minutes, 30 seconds. Seems about right, but the set up was a hack job. Not sure if I'll do that again unless I can think of a way to put the batteries on in a better way. Reason I had four 1300mah 6S batteries is that it is difficult to find LiHV batteries in a variety of sizes. They are not all that common. I don't like using Lipo for this application because they are lower voltage than the DJI batteries since DJI uses LiHV. Not that I'm against this - I'm all for it. You are able to pack in more power in a smaller space using LiHV.

The I1 flew longest with one 6600 or 8000 or 10000 6S battery attached to the VPS with Dual Lock. Worked just fine. One will need to find a good spot...

The I1 flew longest with one 6600 or 8000 or 10000 6S battery attached to the VPS with Dual Lock. Worked just fine. One will need to find a good spot...
True. I believe the sweet spot on the I1 was 6600 to 8000. Anything beyond that I think the diminishing returns really started to kick in due to the extra weight.

There was only one VPS on the I1. There are many more on the I2 and the rear of the I2 has them all in a row instead of bunched up in the triangle formation of the I1. That sorta takes up that spot for use. In addition, I wanted to get away from using the rear of the I2 for camera reasons. I didn't like how my camera view was taken away on my I1 with a big battery hanging underneath. Lastly, the 3S 4000mah batteries are insanely cheap! You really do get a good bang for the buck.

Reactions: Ftolino

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jammartin