Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 boosted remote

Yes they do, just like P4P.

how_to_point.jpg
I've had it apart brother, I assure you, there is two sets of antennas, and the external ones ONLY have a 2.4 antenna.

I'll post a pic of the board inside of the antenna when I get back to my shop, out of town for the week.

Reactions: Ftolino
I've had it apart brother, I assure you, there is two sets of antennas, and the external ones ONLY have a 2.4 antenna.

I'm afraid that is incorrect. Both antennas have 2.4 and 5.8 GHz, coming from the mainboard using one single cable. If you open the antenna itself, you'll see that either side has a different pattern, one for 2.4 and one for 5.8. We measured this as well.
There are indeed two other 5.8 GHz-only small "plug" antennas, but these are used solely for communicating with another pilot remote. (master/slave)

So an inspire 1 phantom 3pro antenna setup will still work. Good debate going on here . Or do I need a dual band booster

I'm taking its using both antenna as 5.8-2.4 so whichever you add on should still work

I have horrible reception anything would be a benefit. I've noticed gains with cheap brass windsurfers

The same maxxrange panel with my p3p easily goes from 10 to 15 km one way, with full bars, without amplifiers, EU mode. Windsurfers does help little, but not much and those are very sensitive how accurate you can point it.

I do have amplifiers, but not needed during winter, lihv's doesnt give enough juice to benefit anything until it's summer (warmer). I believe the range of stock I2 with X4S/X5S is not much more than 7km one way and back, so do the math.. :)

Our small or large Itelite DBS 2.4 panels will work, if you manually set DJI Go to 2.4 GHz. Booster, or unboosted. Customers have already done this.

I'm afraid that is incorrect. Both antennas have 2.4 and 5.8 GHz, coming from the mainboard using one single cable. If you open the antenna itself, you'll see that either side has a different pattern, one for 2.4 and one for 5.8. We measured this as well.
There are indeed two other 5.8 GHz-only small "plug" antennas, but these are used solely for communicating with another pilot remote. (master/slave)
Looked like two 2.4 patterns to me, but if you say it's dual band single cable, I'll believe it. However, it was completely different on the I1.

Reactions: rulppa and Ftolino
Dji's 4 miles is kinda like there flight times . I lose signal at a 1000' so warm /cold anything would be better to me

Reactions: spinny02
If you want to fly BVLOS, join the military....

If you would like to hear about what you can legally and safely do with boosted signals, ie: penetration.... we can chat.

I used an ARGTEC antenna setup from an I1, works good in some of the most dense and signal packed areas of the east coast USA.

With all due respect, I find your comment kind of ironic. I personally think FPV is a safer way to fly, and here's my reasoning.

I always have my goggles plugged into my Inspire 1 RC as an added measure of safety. Why? Because if something goes wrong - like say losing GPS lock in a 12 mph wind when the bird is 400' away - I really don't have time to try to figure out the bird's orientation. The wind is carrying the bird away and FAST. VLOS becomes almost useless. One mistake (which is easy to make when your bird looks like a dot on the horizon and you're in a panic situation), and you could lose your bird. If the Sun is shining, the iPad is almost useless, even with a shade, even IN the shade. Once I throw the goggles on, I instantly have a very clear view of the bird's orientation. As an added bonus, they receive telemetry data, which can be invaluable in a panic situation.

My FPV goggles have saved my bacon twice. Once when a compass went awry on a Phantom 1. The bird not only lost GPS lock, but flew VERY erratically. It took 4 attempts to land the bird. Every time she'd get below 20', shed "slide" off to the side. So I would punch it, get some altitude, and start again.

The other was when my Inspire finished a mapping mission, and went into hover mode 900' away. I take responsibility for not programming "Finish mode" to RTH in the mapping software. At any rate, not only was the bird 900' away @ 330' AGL, but the camera was locked about 120° to the left. Imagine trying to figure out THAT orientation issue on an iPad, eh? Stick forward appears to make the bird fly sideways in the iPad!! I quickly figured out that there was something weird with the camera, so I tossed on the googles and used the telemetry diamond to line up the home point to bring her home. I was able to fly home, all the while the camera looking to the left and behind the bird slightly. I suppose I could have used RTH, but at the time, I didn't know what was wrong, and didn't trust the RTH. I just knew that my bird was hovering 900' away with 40% battery and a mis-oriented camera. It took about 20 seconds to figure out the camera was off axis. No amount of anything was reorienting the camera, including the C2 button I had set up to reset camera yaw. I simply followed that diamond to get the bird close enough to home point to fly VLOS.

I guess my point is that when the feces hits the rotating oscillator, my first line of defense is my goggles. The goggles puts me in the pilot seat, which is exactly where I want to be in an emergency situation or malfunction. So I find it ironic - even strange - to stay that FPV is "unsafe."

I would argue that, in many situations, FPV is safer than VLOS. During the average flight, I would say I use FPV 80% of the time and VLOS the remaining 20%. But make no mistake, the VLOS part is very important. I wouldn't want to be stuck using FPV 100% of the time. Whether coming or going, if the bird is within 100' of home point, I fly VLOS. Occasionally I challenge myself to land via FPV, because you never know when that skill might come in handy.

As a peripheral benefit, when I'm running camera in a dual operator mode, I absolutely count on those goggles for accurate composition and smooth camera operation.

D

Last edited:
alfa-panels_i2.jpg

I would say maxxrange with 2.4ghz is better, but while the batteries limits, this will do ok with medium distances. There is new dual range panel coming from maxxuav soon, i will test that later. Difference with both is like night and day, compared to stock.
Im new to the i2 i just purchased and was wondering what are those things attached to the remote control...i hear you complain about distance....can i get more info

Reactions: Spy
There's quite a few. Itelite Maxuav fvplr . Distance wise I would go with fvplr . All around decent reception itelete panel works well not so much stuff to take apart

With all due respect, I find your comment kind of ironic. I personally think FPV is a safer way to fly, and here's my reasoning.

I always have my goggles plugged into my Inspire 1 RC as an added measure of safety. Why? Because if something goes wrong - like say losing GPS lock in a 12 mph wind when the bird is 400' away - I really don't have time to try to figure out the bird's orientation. The wind is carrying the bird away and FAST. VLOS becomes almost useless. One mistake (which is easy to make when your bird looks like a dot on the horizon and you're in a panic situation), and you could lose your bird. If the Sun is shining, the iPad is almost useless, even with a shade, even IN the shade. Once I throw the goggles on, I instantly have a very clear view of the bird's orientation. As an added bonus, they receive telemetry data, which can be invaluable in a panic situation.

My FPV goggles have saved my bacon twice. Once when a compass went awry on a Phantom 1. The bird not only lost GPS lock, but flew VERY erratically. It took 4 attempts to land the bird. Every time she'd get below 20', shed "slide" off to the side. So I would punch it, get some altitude, and start again.

The other was when my Inspire finished a mapping mission, and went into hover mode 900' away. I take responsibility for not programming "Finish mode" to RTH in the mapping software. At any rate, not only was the bird 900' away @ 330' AGL, but the camera was locked about 120° to the left. Imagine trying to figure out THAT orientation issue on an iPad, eh? Stick forward appears to make the bird fly sideways in the iPad!! I quickly figured out that there was something weird with the camera, so I tossed on the googles and used the telemetry diamond to line up the home point to bring her home. I was able to fly home, all the while the camera looking to the left and behind the bird slightly. I suppose I could have used RTH, but at the time, I didn't know what was wrong, and didn't trust the RTH. I just knew that my bird was hovering 900' away with 40% battery and a mis-oriented camera. It took about 20 seconds to figure out the camera was off axis. No amount of anything was reorienting the camera, including the C2 button I had set up to reset camera yaw. I simply followed that diamond to get the bird close enough to home point to fly VLOS.

I guess my point is that when the feces hits the rotating oscillator, my first line of defense is my goggles. The goggles puts me in the pilot seat, which is exactly where I want to be in an emergency situation or malfunction. So I find it ironic - even strange - to stay that FPV is "unsafe."

I would argue that, in many situations, FPV is safer than VLOS. During the average flight, I would say I use FPV 80% of the time and VLOS the remaining 20%. But make no mistake, the VLOS part is very important. I wouldn't want to be stuck using FPV 100% of the time. Whether coming or going, if the bird is within 100' of home point, I fly VLOS. Occasionally I challenge myself to land via FPV, because you never know when that skill might come in handy.

As a peripheral benefit, when I'm running camera in a dual operator mode, I absolutely count on those goggles for accurate composition and smooth camera operation.

D
THANKS for the FPV lesson! With only around 10 short distance flights of I2 experience, I have a question. The Go 4 app has the route map view option with 2 different paths shown, one is actual flight path the other is direct and straight return to home path shown in green color. Would using stick control to bring aircraft home and staying in close proximity to the green line work similar to FPV goggles? Regardless of camera and or arrowhead style pointer orientation it seems that if you had access to this map you could quickly determine what right stick input follows the green path.

Is this correct interpretation of using this map for getting back home while taking the shortest path? Less expensive than DJI goggles, for first year I am trying to stay all DJI for Care/Refresh purposes. I know there are many goggles less costly than DJI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DinaRqz379