Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire 2 Maiden Flight

Reaction score
Website
www.rhyantaylor.com
Hello Inspire 2 Pilots,

I am new to this site. I would like to meet some pilots who own the Inspire 2 platform to show me a few things about the system. I recently purchased one and need a little bit of support getting it off the ground. I am a little bit uncomfortable going out solo for the maiden flight. If anyone is interested in flying let me know!

Regards,
Rhyan

Do you have any stick time on anything else that flys? If not I would suggest buying a Blade nano and flying the $hit out of it till you're comfortable with all orientations. Its small, cheap and will get you familiar with slow smooth control.

If you do have stick time on other DJI products, then do your research, read the owners manuals and watch a ton of YouTube videos until your more comfortable. Find a local RC flying field and practice well away from everyone else, that bird will attract attention so try not to show off :) Have fun most of all!

Reactions: Donnie Frank
I'm in Ontario, if you can't find anyone closer and want to come out this way I will help you out, PM me. Have a P3Pro P4Pro and Inspire 2, 4 years flying quads and taught a few people.

Rhyan, I think you'll be OK if you go slow and take baby steps. I just bought an I2 two months ago and was very afraid to fly it the first time. I had not flown anything else. Read the manual about 10 times first. Then go outside.

First flight I just went in my yard where I had a good amount of room and just did auto-takeoff. I let it hover for about a minute and did auto-land. Ok, so that was successful so I got bolder. I auto-tookoff and then I very slowly started some lateral movements and rotations. All the while, trying to really watch my screen and not my craft. Because, when you craft is kind of far away, you can't tell what direction it's going unless it's moving. So it's good to begin to trust your eyes on the display. So I moved around my yard a bit and added in some altitude, say 50 feet. I then auto-landed. After that I took off manually, tried raising and lowering the landing gear and then landed manually. It all went well so I quit for the day.

The next day I went to a big field. I auto-tookoff and then I flew around quite a bit. Just fly slow and let go of the sticks if you get nervous. The craft will just stop and hover. Then slowly guide it home or hit RTH.

I think you'll be ok. Your heart will pound and you'll be nervous but you'll get it pretty quickly. I did and now I have had about 20 flights. I'm starting to get pretty good.

Good luck...and, let us know how it goes.

Do you have any stick time on anything else that flys? If not I would suggest buying a Blade nano and flying the $hit out of it till you're comfortable with all orientations. Its small, cheap and will get you familiar with slow smooth control.

If you do have stick time on other DJI products, then do your research, read the owners manuals and watch a ton of YouTube videos until your more comfortable. Find a local RC flying field and practice well away from everyone else, that bird will attract attention so try not to show off :) Have fun most of all!

Forgive my French, but "Fuckin'-A."

"Cutting one's teeth" on a $5,000 bird is - let's just say - < prudent.

I'll vehemently second this advice.

Ha, nice French. Thanks for giving me a chuckle...I had a hard day today and needed one...

So, you gotta' do what you gotta' do, right? At least I didn't do what you see these guys on the "epic fail" videos do where they take off on their maiden voyages and slam into a brick wall at 50mph within 3 seconds. That's not "prudent....lol"...

I'm a massive technology nerd and also an Industrial Designer. I've interacted with technology and machines all of my life and I'm not timid about it. I'm also a professional advertising photographer and I have easily $40K in Canon's and GoPros. Everytime I strap an $8K Canon and lens to something to shoot remotely I'm risking that investment. You just have to be, as you put it, "prudent."

Prudence can be bolstered. After all, it means, "wise or judicious." By wisely taking baby steps and by judiciously adding small skills to the mix, I've had over 20 flights now without issue. I've flown in all modes and have done some very precision "sport mode" close-up inspections of subjects. The I2 is a highly manoeuvrable craft, to begin with. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to take off and land one on day-one. Yes, it's an expensive device but with "prudence" it can be a great tool. But hey, that's why the make Care Refresh so if you do crash your expensive baby, you can recover without too much anguish...right...?

Ha, nice French. Thanks for giving me a chuckle...I had a hard day today and needed one...

I'm glad I was able to provided you with some mild entertainment....<:^)

So, you gotta' do what you gotta' do, right? At least I didn't do what you see these guys on the "epic fail" videos do where they take off on their maiden voyages and slam into a brick wall at 50mph within 3 seconds. That's not "prudent....lol"...

I can't begin to express how happy I am that you weren't one of THOSE guys.

I'm a massive technology nerd and also an Industrial Designer. I've interacted with technology and machines all of my life and I'm not timid about it.

I share your penchant for technology (though I still use a flip phone because, from a strictly engineering standpoint, it seems like a much better option than today's "smart" phone offerings...but I digress....). And, like you, I'm not timid when it comes to "diving in"...unless....I can easily and cheaply mitigate risk. So, while I'm undaunted by the $5000 drone, the advice to learn the basics on a cheaper platform was well-placed. While I'm sure you took every precaution to insure against loss, "having good pilot skills in case things go South" is prudent, because, when it comes to DJI offerings, sometimes things DO go South. I'm not kidding when I say 10% of my work has resulted from other camera operators and/or overzealous real estate agents "diving in" to a platform they thought was "user friendly." Then, after a few confidence-building flights, they discover that they have become an unweary beta tester for the latest firmware update, just to discover that battery bug that drops the bird out of the sky for no reason or forces landing @ 50% battery. Just being part of this forum probably kept you from being a victim of the beta bug. Kudos to you for that level of preparedness. That said...even with 20 flights under your belt, I would STILL offer the same advice. Buy a cheap, $100 drone and fly it around the living room. This will teach your orientation and object avoidance. Extra bonus points for chasing the dog or cat withOUT getting destroyed. HA! As you can imagine, it is much more difficult to fly these little cheapie drones. But the good news is that the controls are the same! HA! You win! You get combat-level training with little to no risk. Now THAT is what I call R.O.I.!!

I'm also a professional advertising photographer and I have easily $40K in Canon's and GoPros. Everytime I strap an $8K Canon and lens to something to shoot remotely I'm risking that investment. You just have to be, as you put it, "prudent."

We strap an $80K LIDAR unit to an S1000. Talk about nerve racking! We're meeting Wednesday to figure out how to make the A2 and legacy Datalink do waypoint flying. Methinks I see some new hardware investment on the horizon. So I'm with you in that regard. Balls of steel, have we!

Prudence can be bolstered. After all, it means, "wise or judicious." By wisely taking baby steps and by judiciously adding small skills to the mix, I've had over 20 flights now without issue."

Most excellent. This is how I test new birds and/or new hardware/software updates. It's all about the baby steps, man.

I've flown in all modes and have done some very precision "sport mode" close-up inspections of subjects. The I2 is a highly manoeuvrable craft, to begin with. You don't have to be a brain surgeon to take off and land one on day-one.

Not to squash your enthusiasm, but you're one of the lucky ones. I'm sure you've read about the Inspire 2 failures in this forum...probably mitigated with your "baby step" paradigm. Good for you. I usually go through a whole battery without ever flying over 5'...just to test. I bet you did the same.

Yes, it's an expensive device but with "prudence" it can be a great tool. But hey, that's why the make Care Refresh so if you do crash your expensive baby, you can recover without too much anguish...right...?

I wish they had "Care Refresh" for my partner's **** S1000. HA!

I'm glad you avoided the "bad scene." Good on you. Looking forward to some of your cinematic wizardry!

Thanks for your insight and advice Donnie. I may just take your advice and get a cheapo drone and do some combat flying worryfree. Not a bad idea. Any suggestions for a good cheap beater?

Yea, I hope to post some footage soon. Right now flying in a gigantic open field. I haven't flown anywhere interesting yet. But, that's on the horizon. I'll make sure you guys are the first to see...

And yes, I've read a lot of this forum which did in fact help me avoid some issues. I read about drones dropping out of the sky and software bugs. I'm also studying for my Part 107. I'm about ready to go take it. I've been studying it hard for about three months.

Hubsan x4 is my play thing... beat the absolute crap out of it, still flies like the day I bought it.

Buy a 100 pack of blades and forget about prop guards.

Hubsan x4 is my play thing... beat the absolute crap out of it, still flies like the day I bought it.

Buy a 100 pack of blades and forget about prop guards.

X4 is fun :D & Prop guards are good for bouncing off things ;) :D

also, from direct experience, those little plastic blades are sharp :eek::(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool