Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire Arm Repair

Reaction score
Hello
Just thought i would post some pics of a repair i have completed on 2 Inspire 1 V1 arms in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I have bought a damaged Inspire looking to repair it and get it back up in the air.

The guy who i purchased it from had crashed it and sent it back to DJI for repair but once he got the repair estimate he decided it wasn't viable as the cost was astronomical.

So he asked Dji to box it back up and send it back to him , so I have purchased the box containing all the bits .20160321_131925.jpg
The main issues are that the 2 arms have a broken tab where it mounts to the arm raising mech
20160321_142418.jpg

Also the worm drive screw was bent and one of the mounting bolts was missing.

20160321_131001.jpg

So first I repaired the two arms by using an epoxy called PC7 which is the best epoxy i have ever used , it bonds everying and is also workable when set.

I first had to come up with a way of keeping the mounting hole inline so when everything had set it would line up correctly.
I ended up finding a screwdriver which was the same diameter as the mounting hole so i wrapped some cling film around the screwdriver to aid its removal and applied the PC7 epoxy.20160322_160834.jpg

20160322_160844.jpg

20160322_162452.jpg
It doesnt look pretty at the moment .

With screwdriver and other bits removed
20160324_100024.jpg

I now had a solid mounting tab with a correctly aligned mounting hole.All it needed was a tidy up with the Dremel to make it the same profile as the original tabs.
I followed this procedure on both arms.

I then had to set about straightening the worm drive which was achieved with a vice and rubber mallet and a lot of patience.

Then a had to make a mounting bolt which was done by finding a bolt with the same size thread as the original and then using a grinder to remove the thread down to the same number of turns as the original and then moving to the dremel to get the shaft that was left to the correct diameter to fit into the mounting holes.Then i ground down the bolt head and to the same thickness as the original and shave 2 sides of the head so i could get a spanner onto it to install it.

I seem to have misplaced the photos showing the bolt and arms before i reinstalled them but i will try and find them and post them up.

So below is the finished arms installed in the landing gear mech.
20160329_174836.jpg

Landing Gear.jpg

I'm actually surprised how stiff the landing gear assembly is , there's no play where the arms mount

I have manually screwed the landing gear up and down using the screw underneath the body and it goes up and down without an issue.

I dont have a controller yet so cant test the landing gear under battery power but a controller is on its way thanks to fleabay.

So once it arrives i will do an update to tell you whether it all works correctly.

Below is my first test fit of all the parts and its looking good.

20160324_202326.jpg

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue!

PwackInspire

I am in the process of repairing mine but I bought a new arm. I am concerned that on the old arm the shaft that hold both motors turn freely in the hub ( the cross member thing that connects both arms.
My new arm does not turn that freely and takes a little force. Not sure if it is supposed to be that way are that I should try to loosen the hub some how.

There should be the same resistance on both sides.if the AC transforms from gear down to gear up and into travel mode ok then i wouldnt worry.just make sure theres no oscilations of the booms when its flying.good luck

Sent from my SM-N915G using Tapatalk

There should be the same resistance on both sides.if the AC transforms from gear down to gear up and into travel mode ok then i wouldnt worry.just make sure theres no oscilations of the booms when its flying.good luck

I didn't have any luck getting the jack screw straighten enough so I am ordering a new center frame but the one I have looks just like yours with the 4 separate arms on the part that rides on the worm screw. All the ones for sale the arms look to be a one piece do you know if it was just a product change an is a direct replacement.

My screw isnt perfectly straight but it still transforms.they changed the arm support in V1 mark3 i think.as far as i know they are backwards compatible.

My screw isnt perfectly straight but it still transforms.they changed the arm support in V1 mark3 i think.as far as i know they are backwards compatible.

Is there any type of adjustments that need to be done such has how does the screw jack know the upper limit doesn't seem to have a switch or anything.

Is there any type of adjustments that need to be done such has how does the screw jack know the upper limit doesn't seem to have a switch or anything.
No . i think it just senses the extra current draw from the motor when it hits its stops and shuts off.

Hello
Just thought i would post some pics of a repair i have completed on 2 Inspire 1 V1 arms in case anyone else has a similar issue.

I have bought a damaged Inspire looking to repair it and get it back up in the air.

The guy who i purchased it from had crashed it and sent it back to DJI for repair but once he got the repair estimate he decided it wasn't viable as the cost was astronomical.

So he asked Dji to box it back up and send it back to him , so I have purchased the box containing all the bits .View attachment 7552
The main issues are that the 2 arms have a broken tab where it mounts to the arm raising mech
View attachment 7553

Also the worm drive screw was bent and one of the mounting bolts was missing.

View attachment 7554

So first I repaired the two arms by using an epoxy called PC7 which is the best epoxy i have ever used , it bonds everying and is also workable when set.

I first had to come up with a way of keeping the mounting hole inline so when everything had set it would line up correctly.
I ended up finding a screwdriver which was the same diameter as the mounting hole so i wrapped some cling film around the screwdriver to aid its removal and applied the PC7 epoxy.View attachment 7555

View attachment 7556

View attachment 7557
It doesnt look pretty at the moment .

With screwdriver and other bits removed
View attachment 7558

I now had a solid mounting tab with a correctly aligned mounting hole.All it needed was a tidy up with the Dremel to make it the same profile as the original tabs.
I followed this procedure on both arms.

I then had to set about straightening the worm drive which was achieved with a vice and rubber mallet and a lot of patience.

Then a had to make a mounting bolt which was done by finding a bolt with the same size thread as the original and then using a grinder to remove the thread down to the same number of turns as the original and then moving to the dremel to get the shaft that was left to the correct diameter to fit into the mounting holes.Then i ground down the bolt head and to the same thickness as the original and shave 2 sides of the head so i could get a spanner onto it to install it.

I seem to have misplaced the photos showing the bolt and arms before i reinstalled them but i will try and find them and post them up.

So below is the finished arms installed in the landing gear mech.
View attachment 7559

View attachment 7561

I'm actually surprised how stiff the landing gear assembly is , there's no play where the arms mount

I have manually screwed the landing gear up and down using the screw underneath the body and it goes up and down without an issue.

I dont have a controller yet so cant test the landing gear under battery power but a controller is on its way thanks to fleabay.

So once it arrives i will do an update to tell you whether it all works correctly.

Below is my first test fit of all the parts and its looking good.

View attachment 7562

Hope this helps anyone with the same issue!

PwackInspire
Hi just crashed mine, well didn't crash it as such it seemed to switch off mid flight and fell to the ground. I'm waiting a report back from DJI as its under warranty but if all else fails your pics will help me big time. The jack screw on mine looks like the little cream collar has came away from the metal piece it is attached to. Do you know if it should be permanently attached to that and if so would that p7 stuff hold it? Don't suppose anyone has a proper "workshop manual" for an inspire 1? Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido