Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire frame ...

Reaction score
The early models of Inspire were build with mesh type carbon fiber tubes, if I'm not mistaken. Late models, however, employs so called camo tubes, nicknamed for random fiber pattern:
inspire arm tube.jpg
Accordingly to Clearwater Composites, leading US manufacturer of carbon fiber profiles, "...the two tubes in question are made with completely different manufacturing processes: "camo" being filament wound (one continuous filament wrapped onto a mandrel), while mesh pattern is roll-wrapped (each layer of carbon fiber laid up in specific orientation). Roll-wrapped tubes are typically stronger, stiffer, and more consistent than filament wound tubes..."

Judging by documented crash landing reports, tubes are rarely surviving in one piece. Extremely difficult to repair or replace ...

What was the reason to make such change, other than cheating and corner-cutting? I'm far from such accusations ... From engineering point of view there may be one only I can think of, but I'll remain silent for now. Perhaps somebody close to DJI engineers know more than I do?

My guess is that the camo layer method reduces vibration (fibres are pointing in every random direction) and makes the tubes more stiff overall.

There's absolutely no reason to assume that these tubes wouldn't be up to their job, which is holding the motors (as vibration free as possible) in position, and secondary as landing gear to allow enough clearance from the ground for take off and landing. And when they break in a crashlanding, they reduce the energy of the impact for other parts.

There's really very little to do with the carbon patterns, mostly just aesthetics. Most high-end carbon bikes use the 'random' pattern, and they see stresses far in excess of what an inspire might.

... And when they break in a crashlanding, they reduce the energy of the impact for other parts.

That's the good point: sacrificial design. As I mentioned clearly I'm far from being suspicious about manufacturers conspiracy to cheat and implement cheaper materials in following versions of aircraft. It's just the observation of an seasoned engineer and hobbyist like myself, nothing else...

Money.
DJI wouldn't give a monkey's about whether certain parts absorbed or 'gave' on impact to protect others. It's not their machine, it's yours.If you crash, it breaks, you pay. In fact the more that breaks the more you pay.
Purely a cost incentive exercise no doubt driven by the faceless blood sucking accountants.

Money.
DJI wouldn't give a monkey's about whether certain parts absorbed or 'gave' on impact to protect others. It's not their machine, it's yours.If you crash, it breaks, you pay. In fact the more that breaks the more you pay.
Purely a cost incentive exercise no doubt driven by the faceless blood sucking accountants.
ouch ...

Money.
Rather harsh lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is the tube in the inpire pro black, i guess this would be latest model right now?
Apparently it is the latest version of Inspire. Perhaps they've realized that the "camo" tubes aren't up to the task. After all it depends on wall thickness as well, so let's wait and see how the new tubes performs...

Apparently it is the latest version of Inspire. Perhaps they've realized that the "camo" tubes aren't up to the task. After all it depends on wall thickness as well, so let's wait and see how the new tubes performs...
It's more like what's cheaper this quarter, new supply deal I suspect, one undercutting another.

In this application that carbon tube is massively strong and no chance of being an issue regardless of construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bigdz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
topproorityhealthcare