Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire Pano App

Only one app can communicate with the Inspire at a time. You would need to close Go to use another app. It can't be used "with the Go App". You might be able to set exposure in Go to manual then close it and run Inspirepano. There is also Dronepano by Denis Baldwin. Not tried either yet.

Reactions: RDTech
I just thought 'what the heck', you only live (every life) once so I bought it for 9,90Euro.

And it works as advertised. You don't have to shut off Go to operate the PanoApp. Just switch off the App after record and you can just swipe Go back on the screen.

Here's a quick sample of the first pano I did of my neighbourhood.

Attachments

• DJI_0094_stitch.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 159
I just thought 'what the heck', you only live (every life) once so I bought it for 9,90Euro.

And it works as advertised. You don't have to shut off Go to operate the PanoApp. Just switch off the App after record and you can just swipe Go back on the screen.

Here's a quick sample of the first pano I did of my neighbourhood.

Don't doubt that it works, like any app they should work as advertised. I've been burned with a few (paid) apps back in the day, just skeptical there are no reviews. Just "NOT" a fan of the Non Review App market.. No reviews, they usually have something to hide. Then again, we are using the DJI GO app and when I started there were only a few reviews. It's a personal thing, "like anything", just not quick to dump a dollar on something that is less than expected[emoji6]

I had a look at DronePan, which is totally free for IOS and in beta for Android.
Does actually a better job. In the next release you can choose to yaw the I1 instead of the gimbal. This allows for shooting more sky without getting the gear in the frame.

The nice thing about Inspire Pano is that they will come with in app stitching in the next version. Getting pano's stitched can be a pain ITA. I currently work with Microsoft Image Composer (also free!). The 20 frames from DronePan are stitched in correct order automatically. With Inspire Pano however, Image Composer can't automatically stitch all frames, only the first 9, because the frames are not taken in the correct sequence.

So in short: Get DronePan for free, it works great. But you need a seperate stitcher like MS Image Composer (pc and Mac) or a paid app. But I really like the future option to have the I1 yawing.

Inspire Pano is quicker (saves about a minute) and will get (free) in-app stitching (using their own dedicated server).

Reactions: Ascender
With the new x5 and lenses that are more telephoto like the 45mm - do these apps adapt to the tighter FOV? It'd be amazing to use with the 45mm and get an ultra hi res panoramic, and then use an app like Auto Pano Giga or Auto Pano Pro to build the panorama.

So I bought the INSPIRE Pano app and tested it out with the 45mm lens on the x5. It actually works fairly well.

What my desired purpose for this app is to just create higher resolution images of a scene, so I want to use the tighter focal length of the 45mm to stitch images together.

My beefs with the software:
- Only allows you to do 360 panoramic shooting (so you have to waste time and memory shooting even if you only want 180 degrees in front of you)
- Always starts shooting straight down and then moves the camera up slowly (you have to waste time and memory even if you don't need to capture directly down)
- Very little support online
- you have to figure out your own settings for it to shoot with the proper overlap

Things that work:
- It does work, and it does get full coverage except with the 45mm lens. It'll let you overlap all the shots, except the last shot. The pattern it shoots in is straight down, then it aims up slightly and does a 360 shooting evenly how many images you told it to shoot, and works its way up. When the camera is close to the top of the pano, it doesn't have the proper overlap. I'd just make sure you point the camera start point at the back of where you are shooting. It will make a vertical seam. It won't do this with the 15mm or 12mm
- it calculates the time to shoot before starting and gives you progress
- it lets you delay the time between shots incase you are shooting RAW and need extra time to save the image

I have yet to try it with it flying with the 45mm.

I have tried DroenPan with my Inspire 1 Pro/X5 but the resultant panorama is not very good. A few gaps plus misalignment. Any suggestions? Do I need to change any settings prior to starting the panorama in DronePan?

So I bought the INSPIRE Pano app and tested it out with the 45mm lens on the x5. It actually works fairly well.

What my desired purpose for this app is to just create higher resolution images of a scene, so I want to use the tighter focal length of the 45mm to stitch images together.

My beefs with the software:
- Only allows you to do 360 panoramic shooting (so you have to waste time and memory shooting even if you only want 180 degrees in front of you)
- Always starts shooting straight down and then moves the camera up slowly (you have to waste time and memory even if you don't need to capture directly down)
- Very little support online
- you have to figure out your own settings for it to shoot with the proper overlap

Things that work:
- It does work, and it does get full coverage except with the 45mm lens. It'll let you overlap all the shots, except the last shot. The pattern it shoots in is straight down, then it aims up slightly and does a 360 shooting evenly how many images you told it to shoot, and works its way up. When the camera is close to the top of the pano, it doesn't have the proper overlap. I'd just make sure you point the camera start point at the back of where you are shooting. It will make a vertical seam. It won't do this with the 15mm or 12mm
- it calculates the time to shoot before starting and gives you progress
- it lets you delay the time between shots incase you are shooting RAW and need extra time to save the image

I have yet to try it with it flying with the 45mm.

Hi man, how do you find dronepan with Oly 45 mm after some time? I´d like to use it for multiresolution panoramas too.

Love drone pan in principle, but I've found that its faster to make the pano by oneself. you need a pilot to look after the inspire then you can concentrate on the images. with a 45 mm lens, making pano is quite time consuming, and you really don't want the inspire wandering around too much otherwise you do start getting stitch errors.

Basically Dronepan is a bit slow, and with the bird yawing, it does wander a little. being able to rotate the gimbal is more accurate.

I think Litchi might have possibilities....

Hugh

Reactions: WilsonFlyer
Love drone pan in principle, but I've found that its faster to make the pano by oneself. you need a pilot to look after the inspire then you can concentrate on the images. with a 45 mm lens, making pano is quite time consuming, and you really don't want the inspire wandering around too much otherwise you do start getting stitch errors.

Basically Dronepan is a bit slow, and with the bird yawing, it does wander a little. being able to rotate the gimbal is more accurate.

I think Litchi might have possibilities....

Hugh

Thanks Hugh. I absolutely agree, that Dronepan is slow. And it´s a pity that they remved the option for rotating gimbal. I want to try Autopilot panorama function in a close future. Im really curious if it´s any good.

I'm one of the Dronepan developers.

I'd just throw in that we didn't want to remove the gimbal yaw in Dronepan - but that a change in the SDK is still causing issues that we're still trying to fix. The plan is definitely to add it back - but it has to work first. It's being worked on - but - most of us are on our summer holidays at the moment - so it may be a little slow.

As to slow - yes - it is. We made a decision to only move on the next shot when the drone itself reports that the previous shot is saved since there were a lot of people getting missing shots. We send the "take a shot" command and the SDK says "OK - I'll send that" - but the next info you get is by watching the status changes - taking shot/shot taken/shot saved. Sometimes the command is not received by the drone - and you have to wait to see if it needs sending again. I'd love to speed it up - but - if you get a missed shot then the entire pano is wasted :( We'll keep looking at it (we're evaluating - is it enough to wait for shot taken rather than shot saved for example).

And that drift issue - oh man - we got a response from the SDK developers that a firmware update had removed drift protection on yaw - and we're still trying to find out if/when it'll get added back.

I love the gear - I love the fact that it provides an SDK - but it does feel from time to time that you're aiming at a moving target.

Anyhow - I'm still on my holidays - but there's loads more help/info/discussion on the dronepan facebook group - you can also ping me on here - but - the group would nearly always get a faster answer :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Hugh4G and rapakiri
Hi Chris, thanks for the insights! And good luck sorting out all the issues - it must be very frustrating. I mean, Dronepan has some issues, but it´s still a great app. I use it all the time. Btw have you considered adding an automatic setting for different lenses?

I am doing 360° X 180 panos and have used Dronepan, inspire pano, litchi pano and the autopilot app pano. I have found the autopilot pano app to be the most consistent and fastest of the group. I am only shooting jpg for what I am doing. Here is an example of my panos. City of Sanibel July 22, 2016 1:03 PM

Hi Chris,

do you know krpano multiresolution panorama? If not, you might like it. Here is one:
krpano - 16-07-25_Urpin_APG+LR+PS_v2

It has only 250 mpx as it was made with Oly 12 mm. But if you used 45 mm for example, it would have more than 3 times higher resolution than the one above.

I'm one of the Dronepan developers.

I'd just throw in that we didn't want to remove the gimbal yaw in Dronepan - but that a change in the SDK is still causing issues that we're still trying to fix. The plan is definitely to add it back - but it has to work first. It's being worked on - but - most of us are on our summer holidays at the moment - so it may be a little slow.

As to slow - yes - it is. We made a decision to only move on the next shot when the drone itself reports that the previous shot is saved since there were a lot of people getting missing shots. We send the "take a shot" command and the SDK says "OK - I'll send that" - but the next info you get is by watching the status changes - taking shot/shot taken/shot saved. Sometimes the command is not received by the drone - and you have to wait to see if it needs sending again. I'd love to speed it up - but - if you get a missed shot then the entire pano is wasted :( We'll keep looking at it (we're evaluating - is it enough to wait for shot taken rather than shot saved for example).

And that drift issue - oh man - we got a response from the SDK developers that a firmware update had removed drift protection on yaw - and we're still trying to find out if/when it'll get added back.

I love the gear - I love the fact that it provides an SDK - but it does feel from time to time that you're aiming at a moving target.

Anyhow - I'm still on my holidays - but there's loads more help/info/discussion on the dronepan facebook group - you can also ping me on here - but - the group would nearly always get a faster answer :)

Hi Chris

A couple of Q's:

Do you recommend 4:3 for best results?
Can you move the discussion group from FB to a more professional platform/forum? I personally dont do FB and I dont really want to sign up to it just to discuss an app that I use. Otherwise I will be hounded by emails, contacts, reminders etc

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engko