Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inspire X8 Mod

Reaction score
Posted to another forum but....I love it :)
bb21e79bf3933d89f80a7239dc75f0b6.jpg

Reactions: RDTech
From Lukas Maurer, the guy who put this together, in response to a few questions I asked:

What were your design goals wth this?

Some countries have the regulations, that you will need more than 4 motors (and some more requirements), for redundancy. (I think in the future this will be a common regulation).
There is also a difficult way to get the permission if your system has a weight over 5 kg.
So i tried to double the motors of the Inspire to create an octocopter under 5 kg, carry a hight quality camera.

What parts did you end up using?

4x motor 3510 + ESC, wire, carbon tube, tube clamps, carbon plate, plugs, diodes, aluminum rail and cable ties :)

How are the additional props arranged?

You will see on the picture

How much extra lift does the aircraft have with the extra 4 motors?

I don't know, the full set up with the X5R is to heavy for just one battery. There appeared a over discharge note – after 5 minutes all motores were killed. With a additional one I didn't try it yet.

How did you wire it up?

I' ve copied the signal and blocked each additionally wire with a diode in one way- not sure the ESC will communicate with the flight controller and will be confused about this modification.

How does it fly?

I just do some hover tests, there are no notable differences.

How long did this take you?

Starting with the first idea till the first flight- over 6 months. But in this time I also did some other things.

Two times changed the full carbon construction, 4 times changed the way to copy the signal

Amazing that this works at all. Apply any throttle and the battery will likely sag badly. Too much power without enough juice.

And this will not achieve the desired redundancy. It's not a true coaxial X8. Props should be contra-rotating. If he loses an ESC, motor, or prop, it will at best go into an uncontrolled spin and at worst, it will just tumble out of the sky.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk