Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Insurance for Drones - Hobby/Homeowners

Reaction score
I preformed a search and read through some top results and didn't find what I needed.

Wanted to know if anyone has successfully listed their drone under their homeowners or something of the sort to cover against flyaway, crashes, etc.

Found this article from December that talks about companies waiting for the FAA. LINK

Student pilots need insurance. So a license isn't required for aviation insurance. But their rates will reflect it.
If you go to the TroyBuiltModels.com site they have a list of insurers and all require a certification for them to issue UAV insurance. When I was training I used the AMA insurance which is limited to approved flying sites. This isn't like getting insurance as a student pilot...

I added an "umbrella policy" on my auto insurance for $2 million liability. It was an extra (approx) $150/yr. Recently I joined the AMA, and for $75/year and per the AMA website, my benefits include:
  • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
  • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
  • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
I dropped the personal policy, so I am saving money, and getting extra coverage with AMA my umbrella coverage doesn't provide.​

Have you read the AMA policy carefully, there may be a bit more than meets the eye as it relates to the coverage offered to AMA members, as this has been a topic of discussion on other model aircraft forums now and again.
Although it is not considered an absolute must to fly at a AMA approved fly field to be eligible for coverage, AMA safety guidelines must be strictly adhered to while in flight is, not that there is anything wrong with that.
In addition, the coverage that is offered is secondary to a members separate primary policy was my understanding. Just some food for thought. Don't misunderstand, it's always nice to have the additional security the AMA policy offers for the price of annual membership, but I don't know that it would be wise to rely on it completely as a blanket policy declaration. I could be wrong, but you may want to give them a call to firm things up, along with a copy of the coverage as written for your own personal records were my thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcobello and Tj_
Yes, but a student pilot is also under instruction and much different to someone just flying into trees while they are learning.
If you read my previous post. Commercial droneographers use aviation insurance. If you're a beginner you better not be flying commercially. Therefore you won't need aviation insurance. If you're a beginner do it properly or not at all. Beginners are hobbyists. Hobbyists in the US need to join the AMA and learn to fly at approved AMA fields. If you're not in the US we can help you find proper facilities for learning and insuring.

Beginners shouldn't be flying anywhere they want.

Reactions: kcobello
If you read my previous post. Commercial droneographers use aviation insurance. If you're a beginner you better not be flying commercially. Therefore you won't need aviation insurance. If you're a beginner do it properly or not at all. Beginners are hobbyists. Hobbyists in the US need to join the AMA and learn to fly at approved AMA fields. If you're not in the US we can help you find proper facilities for learning and insuring.

Beginners shouldn't be flying anywhere they want.
Im a licensed operator and have insurance. 20 million liability is required in Australia.

I was quoted a little over a 1000 a year, asked them to send it to know if I have camera/platform coverage. Would get it any day will post.

My insurance for my real airplane isn't that much per year! wow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klrshopfitters