Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Insurance for Drones - Hobby/Homeowners

You should also think about whether you want hull cover. This is what pushes the cost/premium up since it will pay if you crash or your UAV is lost (fly away) or stolen.
If you only want third party liability and bare the cost of replacement aircraft yourself this should bring the price down.

I live in the UK, the insurance for model flyers is covered by the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) it does not offer cover for commercial work ie paid flights, but covers 5M public liability. This cover applies whether you are a complete beginner, or an experienced pilot. Hope this helps. bmfa.org for full details.

Does anyone know what sort of money a commercial aviation insurance policy is in the UK?
I am currently just a hobby flier with BMFA insurance but I'm considering taking my commercial licence and like to know what the fixed annual costs might be.

I live in the UK, the insurance for model flyers is covered by the BMFA (British Model Flying Association) it does not offer cover for commercial work ie paid flights, but covers 5M public liability. This cover applies whether you are a complete beginner, or an experienced pilot. Hope this helps. bmfa.org for full details.
It does but...... you still must abide by CAP 722 166/7 for all your flights or it will be void !

Reactions: IrishSights
Does anyone know what sort of money a commercial aviation insurance policy is in the UK?
I am currently just a hobby flier with BMFA insurance but I'm considering taking my commercial licence and like to know what the fixed annual costs might be.
Basic 1m PL insurance only (no hull) can be had for between 400 and 500. Hull insurances can add around 300 to that. These are very rough prices, and could well vary from when I last investigated, so your individual requirements may vary so get on to the insurers for a quote. You can only get commercial insurance if you have or are in training for a PFAW.

Reactions: The Editor
It saddens me as a commercial certified UAV pilot when I see those condescending, superior and judgemental attitudes coming from other certified pilots. You guys aught really to be ashamed of yourselves. We were all hobbyists and beginners once you would do well to let that sober your responses.

@DenisR, its a very poor arguement when you tar all hobbyists with the same brush.

In no way, at least in my corner of the world can you blame hobbyists poor piloting for the introduction of UAV laws, that is pathetic. The same laws that governs us today were written into law in 2009, long before main stream multirotor hobbyists were around in any great numbers.

Subsequently most other countries have based their laws on the long established laws of the UK.

Finally this is way off topic, and even worse hijacking the thread to get on your personal bandwagon and authored by certified pilots is disgaceful.

Can we get back on topic...politely and respectfully please?

It saddens me as a commercial certified UAV pilot when I see those condescending, superior and judgemental attitudes coming from other certified pilots. You guys aught really to be ashamed of yourselves. We were all hobbyists and beginners once you would do well to let that sober your responses.

@DenisR, its a very poor arguement when you tar all hobbyists with the same brush.

In no way, at least in my corner of the world can you blame hobbyists poor piloting for the introduction of UAV laws, that is pathetic. The same laws that governs us today were written into law in 2009, long before main stream multirotor hobbyists were around in any great numbers.

Subsequently most other countries have based their laws on the long established laws of the UK.

Finally this is way off topic, and even worse hijacking the thread to get on your personal bandwagon and authored by certified pilots is disgaceful.

Can we get back on topic...politely and respectfully please?
You are right and Im sorry about that. In our country we have laws and you only have to look at what man y of them are doing to get drones banned. They test out how high and how far they can go. They fly them around people and houses. I saw one the other day where the chap was flying up and down his street, houses everywhere and then he ended up crashing into a tree in his driveway.
Many of us use these drones to make a living. These people make it harder for us to be taken seriously. I don't have to put up with some uncaring bastard slinging off because he wants to break the rules and doesn't like what i say.

I have edited this post to remove content that contained personal attacks and profanity.

@Yapper915 - you have only joined on Monday but are already using language that will not be tolerated on the forum. Please desist from launching personal comments/attacks at other members.

I have edited this post to remove content that contained personal attacks and profanity.

@Yapper915 - you have only joined on Monday but are already using language that will not be tolerated on the forum. Please desist from launching personal comments/attacks at other members.

Have no issue with being repremanded... How about send part of that to the other party involved also... Or is this more of the Good Ol Boys club.....

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
Have no issue with being repremanded... How about send part of that to the other party involved also... Or is this more of the Good Ol Boys club.....
Both DennisR's posts and yours have been removed.
However only your posts contained profanity which was uncalled for.
I am not going to enter into discussions or justify moderation decisions on the forum.

Both DennisR's posts and yours have been removed.
However only your posts contained profanity which was uncalled for.
I am not going to enter into discussions or justify moderation decisions on the forum.

But mine were not the only posts to contain personal attacks as you alluded to in your retort.... Whats wrong with checks and balances with the mods of the forum?

But mine were not the only posts to contain personal attacks as you alluded to in your retort.... Whats wrong with checks and balances with the mods of the forum?
I refer you to our community rules.
No moderator will enter into public discussion about deletion or action.
Generally speaking members have far more freedom on this site than many.
I will not comment further.

Reactions: Tj_
I checked with my home owners policy and I am covered to $300,000 liability with the drone. I also have an additional umbrella policy with my auto insurance that will cover me. And I joined the AMA. Hopefully I'm good. I don't do stupid things with my Inspire 1 but I always worry about a motor quitting or something like that. Who knows how long the motors last? Was anything ever discussed here about the reliability of the motors? Is there a certain period of time or use that you should just go ahead and replace the motors? Anyway, that is always my concern about crashing.

I checked with my home owners policy and I am covered to $300,000 liability with the drone. I also have an additional umbrella policy with my auto insurance that will cover me. And I joined the AMA. Hopefully I'm good. I don't do stupid things with my Inspire 1 but I always worry about a motor quitting or something like that. Who knows how long the motors last? Was anything ever discussed here about the reliability of the motors? Is there a certain period of time or use that you should just go ahead and replace the motors? Anyway, that is always my concern about crashing.
But thats just liability isn't it? It doesn't cover the drone as that would be stupid of them considering they will all crash at some time. For my license I have to have 20 million liability for my drone and thats not very cheap.

I added an "umbrella policy" on my auto insurance for $2 million liability. It was an extra (approx) $150/yr. Recently I joined the AMA, and for $75/year and per the AMA website, my benefits include:
  • $2,500,000 Comprehensive General Liability Protection for model activities for members, clubs, site owners, and sponsors
  • $25,000 Accident/Medical Coverage for members
  • $10,000 Maximum Accidental Death Coverage for members
  • $1,000 Fire, Theft, and Vandalism Coverage for members
I dropped the personal policy, so I am saving money, and getting extra coverage with AMA my umbrella coverage doesn't provide.​

Interesting, I thought AMA covered you only at AMA sites?

I have tried to insure my drone for Fire/Theft as part of the home contents insurance, most insurer explicitly exclude drone as part of the cover in New Zealand.
I do have a quote for $1mil NZD public liability, it is $600NZD per annum. about 400USD/350Euro.

For liability insurance in Canada, Roy Nat Leasing covers you in the event of a crash provided you use them when purchasing your drone. They will replace your Inspire if you crash it.
It's a win win situation.
As for collision, its a different story. Insurers here say you must have an SFOC licence in order to be covered. So if you kill someone and you don't have a MOT (Ministry of Transport) approved SFOC, your life is over!

When my 333 is approved I'm insuring through my aviation insurance company. They already quoted me on $3500 hull coverage and $1 million liability with a %10 deductible for the hull/Inspire... ($1400 yr) I think these prices come down as they become more standard but I think the real reason the price is high is the fact of the drone hull coverage... Pretty likely the Drone will sustain damage at one point or another..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
william_sewell