Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Intelligent Navigation Modes

In my opinion catching the aircraft by hand is not a safe way, I like all my fingers right where they are supposed to be, on my hands.

In my opinion catching the aircraft by hand is not a safe way, I like all my fingers right where they are supposed to be, on my hands.
That's why you grab the feet and not the props! I had to do it once when I was flying from a boat and didn't have room to land, pretty easy if it's hovering actually. Had my friend grab and I shut down motors when he had it securely, be much harder solo

I have repeated this description here for those users who use the search option properly.

There is currently no user manual for the new Intelligent Navigation (NI) modes. DJI say follow the onscreen instructions, but to help you:

Access the IN modes by first taking off and being in the air. Then switch the P-A-F switch to F. This will display a IN selection dialog.

POI: Select Point of Interest (POI) mode. Fly the aircraft over the POI at a safe height to designate your subject. Move away to the orbit radius you want and adjust you height and camera viewpoint. Select the orbit speed (2-4m/s in best) and then tap Apply. Confirm the RTH safety height (clear of the height of your POI) and off you go.

Waypoints: Select Waypoints (WP) mode. Fly to your first waypoint and set the height and direction. Tap Insert WP or press the RC C1 button. Fly to the next point and so on until you have plotted the route you wish to fly. Tap done. You can tab the tiny little star to add the route to favourites to repeat it as many times as you wish. The last 3 routes are autosaved. You have a couple of choices on which way the aircraft will point, what it does at the end (hover or RTH) and the speed (max 5 m/s). Tap Apply and set the RTH safe height. Then off it goes.

Course Lock: The Course Lock (CL) sets the stick inputs relative to the direction the aircraft is pointing when the Apply is pressed. Ensure the aircraft is turned to point the way you want to fly.

Home Lock: The Home Lock (HL) uses the stick inputs in relation to the Home Point (HP). Pulling the right stick down moves the aircraft towards the HP, and pushing it away moves the aircraft away from the HP. Similarly, the left and right stick inputs moves the aircraft left and right from the perspective of the HP. The aircraft must be at least 5m from the HP before this mode can be activated. Note: the left/right movements will not maintain a constant distance from the HP, it flies a curving tangent.

The Follow Me mode is not available to Inspire 1 users.
Is there no editing the waypoints later? This waypoint feature does not provide the benefits of the previous versions. If I do manage to fly exactly the course I want and then find I need to be over 10 feet to the left do I have to fly it again and hope for better results? Just complaining I guess.

Is there no editing the waypoints later? This waypoint feature does not provide the benefits of the previous versions. If I do manage to fly exactly the course I want and then find I need to be over 10 feet to the left do I have to fly it again and hope for better results? Just complaining I guess.
The waypoint mission cannot be edited for height or position which is a major shortfall in the DJI design.

I personally love the Home Lock. On my P2 it's been my first go-to if I ever lose video while not sure of orientation and out of LOS.
Rather than use RTH which is slow, it seems more sensible to flick it to Home Lock, then just pull back on the stick, perhaps after a short blast on the throttle to gain height first if not sure. No matter which way it's facing, pulling back comes back to you.
I'd only use RTH as the final resort. I'd try HL first on the I1 too. I only needed it twice on the P2 in lots and lots of flights, but I've never needed RTH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there no editing the waypoints later? This waypoint feature does not provide the benefits of the previous versions. If I do manage to fly exactly the course I want and then find I need to be over 10 feet to the left do I have to fly it again and hope for better results? Just complaining I guess
I have to admit I was a little skeptical about waypoints,but tested this today.Have to say that on the P2 it was easy but you had to be familiar with the area.(height etc.)But if you do a pre-flight and choose your points carefully,just save it and start with a new battery so you can give all your concentration towards filming.As single operator it's not that bad at all.And Dji is building a kind of safety feature with this option.And with a lot of people flying "drones"they have too I guess.
What was really strange was the reaction of the Inspire when I tested Home-lock.As far as I could see it didn't felt good.Never knew that the Inspire could show such strange behavior.It looked it was trying to do some kind of flip-over.Will test this again tomorrow.

Reactions: Ezookiel
I was able to confirm today that for both WP and POI modes the aircraft will continue flying that mode autonomously if the signal from the RC is lost. The WP continues until the last waypoint and comes into the hover or RTH depending on the option selected. The POI will continue going round in circles until, I assume, the Smart RTH activates.

Reactions: Rafa and sirnikolas
I was able to confirm today that for both WP and POI modes the aircraft will continue flying that mode autonomously if the signal from the RC is lost. The WP continues until the last waypoint and comes into the hover or RTH depending on the option selected. The POI will continue going round in circles until, I assume, the Smart RTH activates.
Thanks for testing this out Scot(tish)flieger:cool:

Last edited:
You do not need a GPS (SIM) iPad to use the IN modes. None of the available modes is dependent on an accurate RC GPS position. However, the lack of GPS is one reason I believe why the Inspire cannot be used in Follow Me mode. The other is that is dangerous having viewed some videos.
Doesn't the Inspire transmitter already have GPS built into it? I thought that was one of the main differences between the Inspire RC and the P3P RC. If the GPS in the Inspire RC is so bad, why can't it use GPS from a cellular tablet, like the P3P does for Follow Me, or, even better, a BT connected external GPS for a noncellular tablet, like the Bad Elf Pro 2200 or 2300?

Last edited:
Doesn't the Inspire transmitter already have GPS built into it? I thought that was one of the main differences between the Inspire RC and the P3P RC. If the GPS in the Inspire RC is so bad, why can't it use GPS from a cellular tablet, like the P3P does for Follow Me, or, even better, a BT connected external GPS for a noncellular tablet, like the Bad Elf Pro 2200 or 2300?
Hi GadgetGuy
You are correct that the I1 RC has its own GPS receiver. The problem is that is unreliable and inaccurate especially at my latitude of 57N. To place the Home Point at the RC position normally requires me to raise the front of the RC to point to the equatorial sky. I have brought myself a Dual XGPS 160 which I place in my pocket. It greatly improves the RC/iOS device position.

Hi GadgetGuy
You are correct that the I1 RC has its own GPS receiver. The problem is that is unreliable and inaccurate especially at my latitude of 57N. To place the Home Point at the RC position normally requires me to raise the front of the RC to point to the equatorial sky. I have brought myself a Dual XGPS 160 which I place in my pocket. It greatly improves the RC/iOS device position.
Indeed. That's why I bought the Bad Elf 2300 for golf originally, and now also use it with my transmitter resetting of the Home Point. It's much more accurate and faster than any cellular GPS, or a cheap, built-in GPS. The BT range will also provide the RC pilot a safety buffer, while the victim carries the BT GPS for Follow Me, when they finally enable it on the Inspire! :D

Last edited:
Indeed. That's why I bought the Bad Elf 2300 for golf originally. It's much more accurate and faster than the cellular GPS. The BT range also provides the RC pilot a safety buffer, while the victim carries the BT GPS for Follow Me, when they finally enable it on the Inspire! :D
What do you mean by BT range and BT GPS? I do not believe you will see DJI delivering Follow Me for the Inspire 1; it is too dangerous.

Hi GadgetGuy
How does this help? looks like its designed to pair with tablets? Does the gps receiver in the controller work through the app? doesnt your tablet have a gps receiver in it already? Why cant it use the tablet one instead if thats the case, or does it somehow utilize all three receivers? And just how much more accurate does this make the position? Any effect on the inspire itself such as when using the RTH auto landing? Mine is off 5-10 feet when attempting to land where it took off from, just curious if the setup you use improves this and if so by how much. Im confused. thanks.

Reactions: Scotflieger
How does this help? looks like its designed to pair with tablets? Does the gps receiver in the controller work through the app? doesnt your tablet have a gps receiver in it already? Why cant it use the tablet one instead if thats the case, or does it somehow utilize all three receivers? And just how much more accurate does this make the position? Any effect on the inspire itself such as when using the RTH auto landing? Mine is off 5-10 feet when attempting to land where it took off from, just curious if the setup you use improves this and if so by how much. Im confused. thanks.
Hi SultanGris
The XGPS160 does pair with the iPad (up to 5 devices) through Bluetooth to improve the iPad's location and therefore any apps like GO. My own ignorance on the subject was corrected by forum members a couple of weeks ago. I learned that unless you have an iPhone 6 or an iPad with a SIM card, you don't get a built-in GPS receiver. It appears that the GO app uses the best source available.

It does nothing to improve the accuracy of the RTH. The error difference you see in the app when the I1 comes into the hover is the difference between its position and the HP. It remains the same as the aircraft descends. I have raised this issue with DJI's developers.

basically you mean which ever signal is stronger, RC or tablet gps is the one it will use? I was skeptical that it was smart enough to use the better tablet gps signal vs its own built in one.

I tested POI and waypoints today.

On my first battery, I messed around with POI. It mostly worked.

On my second battery, I couldn't get the Intelligent Flight Modes menu to come up with I switched from P to F. Even after I landed, power-cycled the drone, and power-cycled the remote.

On my third battery, it worked fine again, and I messed around with waypoints. 11.2 miles per hour is just not fast enough.

I tested POI and waypoints today.

On my first battery, I messed around with POI. It mostly worked.

On my second battery, I couldn't get the Intelligent Flight Modes menu to come up with I switched from P to F. Even after I landed, power-cycled the drone, and power-cycled the remote.

On my third battery, it worked fine again, and I messed around with waypoints. 11.2 miles per hour is just not fast enough.
That is weird about your second battery. Have you updated its firmware? It shouldn't affect it but it is the only thing I can think of.

Yes, I updated the firmware on all of the batteries. But I can't fathom how the battery on the Inspire could cause the app to malfunction.

I am flying POI this morning; I will see if it happens again.

No troubles at all today. The POI really worked well for the real estate project I am working on. It sounds terrible, like a 3-year-old is at the controls. But the video looks good.

The waypoints are less useful; it takes so long to set up the shot. I think I got some good footage from a slide-by, however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fivafi