Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Interesting fact about Class D requests

Reaction score
I got informed that most people that are requesting waivers into Class D are being denied because apparently, and currently.. 50ft is the max allowable altitude for this class. So, If you are requesting 150 ft in Class D, you are prob going to get denied.... if you can pull your shots off at 50ft, send in your 107 airspace requests at this altitude.

Good to know.......are you calling the local airport manager (Kittyhawk.io is good at listing those) or using the FAA site? I'm thinking the former, not the latter.....

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

I got informed that most people that are requesting waivers into Class D are being denied because apparently, and currently.. 50ft is the max allowable altitude for this class. So, If you are requesting 150 ft in Class D, you are prob going to get denied.... if you can pull your shots off at 50ft, send in your 107 airspace requests at this altitude.

Your source is not very accurate, here are a couple of mine.

Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 8.21.45 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-11-28 at 8.21.31 AM.png

Maybe it was my particular location... I have 2 D class overlapping each other, with one being a Military Base, and within .5 NM from Approach/Departure. I was asked to resubmit with a "FYI this area has a max altitude of 50 ft".

Who asked you to do this? I didn't get any helpful info from the FAA when they denied my first airspace authorization request.

Update: I was contacted to renegotiate my timeframe to 2 weeks window instead of the 30 days as submitted. The 50ft was pretty rock solid as a max altitude. Should file through tomorrow.

Reactions: SanCap
I have multiple 400' Class D authorizations. This is not accurate info. It depends on airport and sector. This is precisely why I've been advocating for release of the airport maps, to make authorization requests more likely to succeed and reduce FAA workload.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

50 feet AGL would be an appropriate limit along the approach of the runway. You can still do a lot of good at 50 feet (depending on building height).

Last edited:
I have another one filed that sits almost dead center of those two D's... it will be interesting to see how they call that one. It's more like 2.5 NM from the Approach/Departure.

Reactions: zx81

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669