Welcome to InspirePilots.com

Join the leading DJI Inspire community for free!

Ipad Air2 crashed at 3800ft out.

Discussion in 'Inspire 1 Discussion' started by Highrpm955, May 25, 2015.

1. Highrpm955

First time in 138 flights that this has happened. Anyone else? I had a VO with me, but still made me a little nervous. I hit the RTH, and it worked like a charm. By the time she got 1200 ft away, the Ipad had restarted and everything booted back up.

2. Kilrah

My iPhone 6 crashed a couple of times in flight with early app versions. Haven't seen the issue recently. Having hardware decoding or not can play a role, as can any other apps that may be running in the background.

PB30X likes this.
  3. Highrpm955

I always shut down all other apps, and put it in Airplane Mode. Just a glitch I guess. I may start rebooting every flight just as a precaution.

4. PB30X

Good Point! And I will raise you one more! I've also made note a while back that I've noticed that NOTIFICATIONS should be disabled also.. Why? Not sure what app popped up, but caused a delay/freeze in video.. Fortunately I was not flying, I was downloading photos and video via Inspire to iPad.. Should have said something then, but this STUMPED me.. I have several iPads I didn't buy these just to fly my AC's, but I'm thinking some apps/Notification Center and features need to be disengaged!?!?!?! Thought I'd throw this out there!!

5. Kilrah

If you're in airplane mode like you should you won't have any notifications being received that could pop up...

PB30X likes this.
  6. PB30X

Now that I've said that it was something to do with calendar! Was a while ago, so I maybe wrong..

7. Sky High Photography

Hey,
    When I have Hardware decode ON, I find that I experience random, minor transmission drop-outs. What is the benefit of having it on? Higher resolution transmission? I keep it off now as I am not sure what I would be gaining and I would rather not take the risk. I always set my tablet (Air 2) to airplane mode (not sure if this has anything to do with anything).

8. Highrpm955

Do you notice any difference in video quality?

9. Kilrah

Hardware decoding should give lower latency and better framerate/performance on devices with slower processors... but yes the hardware decoder may be less "resistant" to corrupted data causing dropouts to appear a bit longer.

10. sirnikolas

Hardware decode works better on older versions. Since I rolled back to 1.0.2 I've had zero problems. The latest version and the version before that would reboot my Air 2.

turbodronepilot likes this.
  11. Sky High Photography

So, with a mac air 2 and the most recent app and inspire updates, keep decode OFF to avoid random (infrequent) drop outs? I can't really notice a difference in the quality of the video stream - should I?

12. Merko

Ive also had my iPad Air 2 rebooted 1 time. No idea why. My hardware decode was off.
    Now i have it on and havent experienced any problems so far.

sirnikolas and Highrpm955 like this.
  13. Sky High Photography

Have you noticed a difference in the transmission quality?

14. sirnikolas

It's a lot smoother.

turbodronepilot likes this.