Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Irresponsible drone flying.

Is this irresponsible behaviour?

• Yes

Votes: 22 78.6%
  • No

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Last week in the UK, our consumer protection programme Watchdog had a piece about growing drone usage in the UK and how legislation isn't quite keeping up with the growing trend. They discussed proposed changes to the law and how soon some kind of registration programme may be implemented - which I think is essential.

I was then trawling YouTube this evening and came across a person who doesn't live too far from me who has been doing some of the most irresponsible i1 flying. Flying close to wind turbines, over one of the busiest motorways in the country (the M1) and also flying his i1 on a marathon 3.5 miles tour over villages in Northamptonshire. This kind of behaviour really annoys me because it only gives us irresponsible drone flyers a bad name.

I'm about to start my PFAW certification and I wouldn't in million years do anything like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Figbar
Last week in the UK, our consumer protection programme Watchdog had a piece about growing drone usage in the UK and how legislation isn't quite keeping up with the growing trend. They discussed proposed changes to the law and how soon some kind of registration programme may be implemented - which I think is essential.

I was then trawling YouTube this evening and came across a person who doesn't live too far from me who has been doing some of the most irresponsible i1 flying. Flying close to wind turbines, over one of the busiest motorways in the country (the M1) and also flying his i1 on a marathon 3.5 miles tour over villages in Northamptonshire. This kind of behaviour really annoys me because it only gives us irresponsible drone flyers a bad name.

I'm about to start my PFAW certification and I wouldn't in million years do anything like this.

Send the details to the CAA together with the links to the offending videos.
Flying over the M1 is rediculous as well as flying those sort of distances BVLOS.
The fastest (most direct) route is [email protected]

Reactions: CaptainBadge
It does my head in. He's even added the URL to his car leasing business in the video. He even points out a near miss with a church spire - 10m into the second video.

It does my head in. He's even added the URL to his car leasing business in the video. He even points out a near miss with a church spire - 10m into the second video.
He shouldn't be that difficult for the authorities to find then! :p

Unfortunately a lack of education using drones is why people do it a lot of the time, yes you`ll get a few that are totally ignorant of the laws, but those are the people that will struggle to get any work from it. I do think the registration program is a good idea and might be a deterrent for many.

Sorry the little offtopic, it caught my attention why CAA use meters (international measure) along with feet in the same law, do you know why is that? (I live in a country who uses international units)

You're right. Article 166 uses metric meters where as article 167 uses imperial feet! Odd.

Don't bother reporting this to the CAA. They are only really interested in things that pose a risk to other air users. This kind of thing is now the jurisdiction of the Police. Tell your local police station to investigate. They are now being given resources to do this (allegedly...poor guys!). Better still, find out who works in their drone department and speak to them about it.

Not odd - fairly standard in aviation....distance in meters, height/altitude in feet.
I have no idea why though.
Actually, unless you are a drone and metric, aeronautical distance is probably in nautical miles and speed in knots. Meters are the devils work! ;)

Reactions: Gary E
Don't bother reporting this to the CAA. They are only really interested in things that pose a risk to other air users. This kind of thing is now the jurisdiction of the Police. Tell your local police station to investigate. They are now being given resources to do this (allegedly...poor guys!). Better still, find out who works in their drone department and speak to them about it.

My sisters husband is a high ranking police officer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a responsible pilot! if something tragic happens then government will come down hard on us the drone users!

BBC's Watchdog this week had a followup on their drone piece from the week before and they showed this heart breaking and life changing story about a drone which took out this infants eye.

The "pilot" if you can call him that was flying some kind of DIY racing drone. The drone clipped a tree and headed straight for the little boy and on contact, a rotor sliced one of his eyes. The little boy required extensive surgery but the eye had t be removed. So sad.

I asked myself why TF was he flying the drone near an infant in the first place and why didn't he have prop guards fitted!

Part of the problem now is the ease with which these can be flown, in the dim and distant past flying this sort of gear took a lot of practice and a lot of money, it was in some respects self controlling, now anyone can fly these and they are considerd more "toy like" and of course we will always hear of idiots doing stupid things, sensible doesn't sell news!.....:(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BonnieTret