Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is drone a bad word?

Call them what you will, I don't think that we'll ever be completely free of the stigma that a good number of bad apples have generated. The incredible amount of coverage around military actions, the idiots that want to try and play tag with a 737, and peeking into high rise windows...we can only do what we can to ensure that we show they are a minority in the community.
Fly safely and responsibly, and we'll keep our integrity intact regardless of what we call them. I was out with my Inspire and I had a great conversation with a few guys regarding the safety features that are built in and general flight characteristics. It really drew them in and it was excellent to answer their questions.
The media has turned "Drone" into a bad word...and the actions of a few have helped fan the flames. LIke kgarrison has said...we can only relay our own personal experiences. It is incumbent upon us all to ensure that we do nothing to cause additional ire against whatever we choose to call them.

I like F.A.R.P.........Flying Aerial Video Platform
The military uses the acronyms FARP and FARRP, usually in reference to Helos. They mean Forward Area Refueling Point and Forward Area Refueling/Rearming Point. It's a cool sounding acronym, but won't create some distance from sounding too ominous.

Yes DRONE is a bad word. The overly dramatic liberal media has worked very hard to make it one.
People who know nothing about the sport immediately associate the word drone with "bad".

Drone=bad

And thats exactly what the knee jerk inducing media wants.

Quad or quadcopters are what they are. Since when are they drones? They aren't drones any more than they are robots.

Yes, just like the use of the words "assault weapon" for a particular design of rifle.

Reactions: Mazz
I think that horse has bolted. I am journalist and for years I tried to educate my colleagues not to equate the things that we fly with the things that kill children in Pakistan and Afghanistan. Everyone I know in the UK now calls our aircraft drones. I think we have to accept the word but educate people that they are used to create art, do dangerous work and will eventually make their own lives easier.

I remember when if you posted on forums or FB groups using the work drone, you would get plenty of remarks about your usage. Now, I rarely see it. Many of the more popular industry figures, such as Joe Papa and Erik Royer of Multirotor Podcast, have decided to stop fighting it. That being said, I still say "Multirotor" whenever possible.

Whenever I am flying or talking about any of my quads I refer to them as just that. "Quad", "quadcopter", and rarely but sometimes "UAV."
I am out in public a lot with my quads and as with most of us, I field a lot of questions. I always feel like when people say or think "drone" they think anti privacy or military or government... I have been referring to them as I mentioned above since I can remember. Am I alone with this?

Edited for spelling
You are not alone - it is surprising how many people are wary of these machines.

I believe quadcopter is more specific word than drone, so it's better to use...

While the word itself definitely has a negative connotation after years of military actions using the large weaponized systems, whether we are or are not "drones" isn't really up for debate. It's tough to argue with Merriam-Webster ;) (see def. 3)

1drone
noun \ˈdrōn\
Definition of DRONE
: a stingless male bee (as of the honeybee) that has the role of mating with the queen and does not gather nectar or pollen
: one that lives on the labors of others : parasite
: an unmanned aircraft or ship guided by remote control or onboard computers

Honestly, I think education is the biggest tool in turning that negative image around. I ALWAYS take the time to answer people's questions, invite them to come take a look, have a video or two that I've done on my phone to show, etc. Have turned a lot of "I DON'T WANT YOU HOOLIGANS SPYING ON THIS NEIGHBORHOOD!!!" openers into "So, is it cool if I come hang out when you guys are out here?"

I'm embracing it. Last year I wouldn't use drone, but it's more accepted and understood every day. In another year everyone will have drone synonymous w our birds. Heck, I bought mine from Drones Etc....

Public perception is always an issue now, especially with the negative-related utilization. Since I'm in educational program development, we decided to develop programs from elementary to high school called UAS Scientific Applications, where students treat the whole system as a payload for acquiring data for solving problems, partnering with organizations including NASA and NOAA, such as identifying tsunami marine debris on shorelines, and mapping agricultural areas then performing soil analysis. One of the outcomes has been that when teachers ask these students "So, you're in the drone program?", I've heard them reply "It's not a drone program - we're gathering real information for NOAA". Establishing this mindset at an early age will hopefully re-adjust the thinking across generations, but it will be a continual issue, I think. Just my 2 cents.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoanneStoc