Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

USA Is it possible to override DJI Software settings?

Reaction score
Website
www.skywardimaging.com
As of now I don't need to but I have noticed a problem. According to FAA Part 107 rules we are allowed to go 400 ft AGL above a structure (as long as we are inside a 400 foot radius of that structure) of, lets say 1500 ft AGL, providing we are not outside of Class G airspace. DJI has set their "Max Flight Altitude" to no more than 500 meters (1640.42 feet). Now I am not saying this to start an argument, I am simply using this as an example of the limitations the DJI App has for us who are legit. Is there a way to deactivate the restraints in such a case?

As of now I don't need to but I have noticed a problem. According to FAA Part 107 rules we are allowed to go 400 ft AGL above a structure (as long as we are inside a 400 foot radius of that structure) of, lets say 1500 ft AGL, providing we are not outside of Class G airspace. DJI has set their "Max Flight Altitude" to no more than 500 meters (1640.42 feet). Now I am not saying this to start an argument, I am simply using this as an example of the limitations the DJI App has for us who are legit. Is there a way to deactivate the restraints in such a case?
You can't.

Covered numerous times
500M limit
Max Height 3 Advanced

Absolutely not......that never happens! :rolleyes:
Actually the purpose of creating this thread had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is a limit to 500m. It had to do with an intelligent conversation (Guess I won't get that here) about the software side of things. DJI has already added the function to unlock flying in certain airspaces to their software so my question was more about current (belonging to the present time) and not when those articles were written. But I do appreciate the professionalism here. I'll remember to look things up elsewhere before posting here. Thank you for the insight.

Actually the purpose of creating this thread had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that there is a limit to 500m. It had to do with an intelligent conversation (Guess I won't get that here) about the software side of things. DJI has already added the function to unlock flying in certain airspaces to their software so my question was more about current (belonging to the present time) and not when those articles were written. But I do appreciate the professionalism here. I'll remember to look things up elsewhere before posting here. Thank you for the insight.
Your question was is there a way to override/circumvent/deactivate the 500m limitation.
I answered that question.
The 500m limit is hard coded into the firmware and is linked to barometric data from the onboard solid state barometer.
If you disconnect the barometer (to attempt to circumvent the limit) the software will throw an error message and you will be unable to arm the motors.

Reactions: Cornscot
Your question was is there a way to override/circumvent/deactivate the 500m limitation.
The 500m limit is hard coded into the firmware and is linked to barometric data from the onboard solid state barometer.
If you disconnect the barometer (to attempt to circumvent the limit) the software will throw an error message and you will be unable to arm the motors.
I am asking is there a way to override the software such as the airspace restriction unlock process DJI has set into place. Not "circumvent" the settings or disconnect the barometer. This goes for other settings as well not just the max height limit.

How is that true? It's based on takeoff height.

Again... fly from the roof.

How is that true? It's based on takeoff height.

Again... fly from the roof.
Agreed - take off height is always zero. Therefore 500m is a max height above take off location.
However, if you disconnect the barometer it will throw an error and not even allow you to take off.
Flying from the roof would enable a flight since the aircraft would then see the height of the building as zero.

I am asking is there a way to override the software such as the airspace restriction unlock process DJI has set into place. Not "circumvent" the settings or disconnect the barometer. This goes for other settings as well not just the max height limit.
Your OP was only concerned with height - there is no mention of DJI no fly zone unlocking or software.
Your entire post subject is worded towards height restrictions.
Unfortunately, mind reading has always eluded me.

Skyward, Early version Inspire 1 with firmware version up to 1.3 had the loophole of after reaching 1,640 ft you pressed RTH button with left (altitude) stick up and the bird would continue to climb to as high as the signal permitted. Felt a bit like ATTI mode because the bird wanted to descend so it gave resistance on the right stick but it was flyable.

I love reading the responses to the posts on these forums. No doubt the FAA read them first before issuing all the restrictions we now all face as pilots.

Well under part 107, as a certified pilot I can go 400 ft AGL above a structure as long as I'm within a 400 ft radius of that structure. So I kind of fail to see what point you are making with that statement. It wouldn't matter if the FAA read something like this post. All they would get out of it is I know my part 107 rules.

Reactions: Pescatoral Pursuit
DJI software has not been adapted to Part 107 rules and is ONLY written for recreational users. As an example it knows absolutely nothing about airspace. Part 107 is all about airspace, as you know. Also it will let you fly at night which is prohibited under Part 107.

If you go to max height and then while holding the left throttle up at same time hold down return home button down. I haven't tried it and don't plan on it but saw it on YouTube

If you go to max height and then while holding the left throttle up at same time hold down return home button down. I haven't tried it and don't plan on it but saw it on YouTube
An early bug that was fixed months ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThaddeusKo