Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Is it possible to switch over to the right Thumbwheel to tilt camera?

Reaction score
Being right handed, I find it extremely difficult to use my left fingers to tilt the camera while also using my left fingers to control height and yaw. It would be so much easier to use my right hand index finger on the right side thumbwheel to control camera tilt.
Are you reading this DJI?
I think this would do wonders for the majority of right handed people.

Being right handed, I find it extremely difficult to use my left fingers to tilt the camera while also using my left fingers to control height and yaw. It would be so much easier to use my right hand index finger on the right side thumbwheel to control camera tilt.
Are you reading this DJI?
I think this would do wonders for the majority of right handed people.
No,

Hopefully they can change that. To me, this is a major flaw.
The left and right thumb wheels use a completely different mechanism. The left one is a potentiometer like the sticks and the right is multi-contact switch. They can not be swapped over in firmware. I am also right hand and I find the left thumb wheel correctly positioned as my right hand is concentrating on the forward/backward and left/right stick. But that is my personal preference.

The left and right thumb wheels use a completely different mechanism. The left one is a potentiometer like the sticks and the right is multi-contact switch. They can not be swapped over in firmware. I am also right hand and I find the left thumb wheel correctly positioned as my right hand is concentrating on the forward/backward and left/right stick. But that is my personal preference.
But taking off to do a reveal can be quite awkward having to use your left hand on the throttle and your left index finger or whatever on the tilt.
Perhaps a new RC with the tilt wheel on the right side is in order on the next release.

'Already have that but its difficult to coordinate the second op. Unless he has years of flying experience, he can't anticipate my moves. I can do it faster myself.

'Already have that but its difficult to coordinate the second op. Unless he has years of flying experience, he can't anticipate my moves. I can do it faster myself.
That's what good team work is all about. Training, experience and good communication require practise to produce great results. It does not happen instantly or otherwise everyone would think they can be a cinematographer. Or perhaps too many already do.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kilrah
That's fine and dandy when you've got time. But when you need a shot quickly by yourself, it would be nice to have this feature.
I've been managing by myself but its not always a great shot. And yes, when I have a proper shoot, I do have a second op.

Yes - for the single operator reveal shots I've used the autopilot so I can then focus on the camera control.

You can swap sticks to control whatever you want I believe, but with enough practice you should be able to do anything with either hand. Keep at it and eventually it will become natural. Practice makes perfect.

But taking off to do a reveal can be quite awkward having to use your left hand on the throttle and your left index finger or whatever on the tilt.
Perhaps a new RC with the tilt wheel on the right side is in order on the next release.
Be nice to have pan+tilt one on each side and reversible. The review features currently used on the right wheel should be assigned to some other part of the DJI Go App instead of the currently mapped method! This would make the controller much more functional especially for single operator uses!

Really simple ladies...left side controls camera tilt...right side controls shutter speed. Not happy with the arrangements, spend the money on a second controller.

It really isn't that hard, thumb on the stick and finger on the wheel, if you're that uncoordinated just keep practicing, it will get easier over time.

Reactions: IrishSights
I think it would be nice to have identical wheels on both sides (for Inspire 1), then give me, the operator, the option to program what I want them to do just like the two buttons on the bottom of the controller. I've been shooting with tilts for a long time now and I'm pretty good at it. I don't always nail it on the first take but I eventually get something usable. If I don't think I'll get a 2nd take and I'm doing a straight vertical move up but titling down simultaneously, I've been know to cross over my right hand to operate the stick while my left hand operates the tilt wheel. Sure, you can program a vertical move in using Waypoints but you must start at least 35' above ground. Some of my moves have been from 10' or so, up. To me it's about having options. Give us operators choices and let us do what works best for us. I don't think that's too much to ask. Plus, it's smart business. Instead of giving me editing and social media posting options I don't need as a commercial user, give me a new controller to upgrade to or other equipment and I'll spend money. Generally speaking, a company makes more money from existing customers than from new sales.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pradeepnama123